VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Digging up the Redneck Rampage files in my archives to try again on a newer machine triggered a memory of the 1st time I had the shareware version. It came out after Duke Nukem 3D so I was aware of the .grp file sizes. The .grp seemed bloated for a crippled shareware version. On a hunch I had a friend in another state email me the rr.exe file he had from the full version. Mind you, this was 1998 and there were no attachments in emails. You had to UUencode the binary plus because of file size limitations he had to split the file up. So I had to add up the pieces and decode. I was correct in my assumption, the rr.exe turned the version into the full version. I later bought the program and the addons.

Reply 1 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably the funniest game I ever played, like the music too.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 6, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It fought me more than the usual way.
The suckin grits on rte 66 wouldn't run on the hardrive.
All the other versions ran fine.It would lock up on the 1st loading level screen.
When it did run it would kick into the original level menu instead of the rte 66.
The funny part is,it would run off the cd fine until you quit,then it would freeze.
After 3 or 4 tries I finally got it to work.
I like the gassin up level,you push on the ladies room door and a black woman says "uh huh?"

Reply 3 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so fond memories here... I've tried a few times to play through this game and I've never finished it.
- It gives me motion sickness. It doesn't matter if I play it on a 486 or an Athlon, or even if I play it using the source port. It's strange, because I've played through Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior (and all official expansions, even Duke it out on DC that was boooring) without any symptom. I don't know if it's related to engine, palette, ambient sounds or country music... but I can't play it without getting motion sickness.
- The ambient sound on the asylum level gives me headaches.
- I remember an underground level that was bugged and I had to use noclip trick to finish it.

So, every attempt ended with me giving up saying myself that I'll finish it later...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 6, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use infinity machine with it and it's a challenge to find a video card that works.
I.M doesn't like agp cards;when you kick into i.m. then back to the game screen-it is blank.

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have fond memories of RR back in 97 alright - fond memories of turning the speakers down because I don't like the HOALY SHEEEYIT!!!! word blasted as soon as I chose 320x200

To me, RR's always been those "haha it's a fun up there with blood 3-d !" games you always read about with the execution seemed lacking and the game design felt slapdash and still obviously over duke and does nothing really new to push the BUILD creativity boundaries. At least the environment art was excessively top notch given the tech... and that's all for the first game. Interplay wanted to make this their prime FPS brand cash cow then shortly after.

also i was very much "city folk" at the time so the setting wasn't appealing either. ;P

apsosig.png
long live PCem