VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Set up a DOS only 6gig hardrive with diskfix and started going through my collection of 360k floppies.
Old favorites I copied to the hardrive and tried a few.The other day I started the process again and the hardrive wouldn't boot and was blank.
I should have waited until after march 6th.
Beware of elderly floppies.I don't even think modern anti-virus programs check for 1990's woe makers.

Reply 2 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh! same thing happened to me some years ago and machine started crashing under dos - virus was corrupting executables
I just use F-PROT/DOS nowdays and scan all old floppies so I am sure this won't happen again: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3t3dhcyva9v519p … 9_DEFS.rar/file

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 12, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I recommend F-PROT too. I think the latest definitions for the DOS version are from 2006 but that's fine for DOS and earlier Windows malware. With it I just barely avoided infecting my NEC Ready 7022 when I tested a shareware disk of Hugo II that turned out to have a boot sector virus on it.

Make sure to use F-PROT /OLD or it won't run, by the way.

Reply 5 of 12, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the DOS days I had programs that would save track 0 of the hardrive to a floppy in case something happened.
Boot off floppy and restore track 0 only.I don't know how they would react to huge drives.

Reply 7 of 12, by xlucas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, Michelangelo virus! Who would've thought I'd feel nostalgia for a virus! I have about three DOS viruses trapped somewhere in my old backups. I wanted to collect them before they were no more. It's interesting to study them. If anybody is interested, I can take the time to find them and share them.

Reply 8 of 12, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it wiped out the mbr and fats.
I have 3 more drives just the mbr wiped out,another oldie but baddie?
Tiramisu shows the recovered files but way back including the previous windows install.Nothing work killing myself to retrieve but fun watching it do it's thing.

Reply 10 of 12, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WolverineDK wrote on 2020-03-12, 14:12:
StSam wrote on 2020-03-10, 19:35:

Is it the one that's supposed to flip the tankers?

Nope that was the "Da Vinci" virus, from the film Hackers.

hack the gibson

Reply 12 of 12, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

central point program diskfix 9 when checking a disk/hardrive would popup saying infected with Michelangelo,use cpav.
I just happened to have central point anti virus on floppies I transferred to a non infected hardrive and used that to clean the various disks.
It was originally part of the gateway cool tools floppies on 5 1/4 and 3.5 inch.