VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings vogoneers,

I have been playing around with attaching my system to an early HDTV Plasma
great colors and black levels. Its Native panel resolution is actually 848 x 480
thus my request for suggestions.

Games that look good at 640x480 or can be modified or enumerate resolutions from dx and can do widescreen.
I have played some more current games and even when I sit at the correct viewing distance; that I cannot differentiate individual pixels, still the UI/Hud and text sizes just make the games look garbagey.
Even on ultra settings Anti-Aliasing etc, so Gotta go back in time when games were designed for low res displays.

What classic games in your opinion should I play that look good and are designed for low res AND are easily setup to use a gamepad/joystick.
Following that games that are less easy to use a gamepad, though remapping software and or DOSBOX mapper. However are still excellent in gameplay today and look good at low rez. I think I will be starting with The keen series and Prince of Persia using dosbox mapper.

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Raptor Call of the Shadows - should be ok with joypad, but I think it is better with mouse/keyboard.
Galactix - There are a bunch of different versions. Some that are not speed sensitive. The v1.5 freeware release regressed in that regard. You will want mouse/keyboard for this game.
Duke Nukem episodes 1-3 and Duke Nukem 2 (side scrollers)
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Jazz Jackrabbit

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 5, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heart Of Darkness
Abe's Oddysee
Abe's Exoddus
Bermuda Syndrome
onEscapee
Weird Dreams
Another World 1 (best on 3DO)
Another World 2: Heart Of The Alien (SEGA CD only)
Prince Of Persia 2 (best on Macintosh)
B.I.G.
Blackthorne
Nosferatu (SNES)
Prince Of Persia 1 (best on Macintosh)

Reply 4 of 5, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-03-13, 00:47:

Quake3 (and most derivatives) have a 848x480 resolution in its video mode list so that's also something to try, given '99 was the period of wide plasma screens.

Even Quake1 does, if the card returns a vesa mode for it.

Reply 5 of 5, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent so far thanks all.
Anymore suggestions for action style DX/win9x games.
Considering Quake 1/2 anybody else excited for Wrath: Aeon of Ruin? In early access right now and it looks Beautiful. But I'm cheap and hoping it will drop lower then $20 on a sale or full release.