VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never thought it would come to this, but I have to ask:

How exactly does one download from soundcard-drivers.com?

Specifically, I need this file http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/129/129391.htm

because I am facing the same problem as this user:

QDI Legend PlatiniX 2 drivers required for Win98

I've never been able to figure out how to download from soundcard-drivers, and I have always just been able to use it to get a file name and I would google that but this time I can't seem to find anything. On soundcard-drivers, it seems no matter what I do, the same 4.8Mb exe program links instead of the driver files I need. Even when there's a file list of what's to be expected in the ZIP. I did a quick search on this forum for the website, and it seems people are downloading off of it.

Is the site teasing me? Is there a secret? Do I have to create an account? Am I banned from this site?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 2, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why bother with soundcard-drivers at all (and yes, all their links point to the unwanted Driver Easy package) when the file in your link, PW4031.zip, is available elsewhere on the live & archived web.

Filename
PW4031.zip
File size
44 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

None of those drivers worked. After installing the SoundMax and the Cirrus ones Windows 98 kept autofinding them and installing those over anything else upon OS start / when I asked it to find more hardware. After a few ghost sessions (I have two of these systems, I had an image stored) to restore the baseline, and spending far too many hours on this, I threw a CT4810 at it, disabled the onboard sound (which worked fine in XP) and called it a day.

Strange, as this board came out in 2001 - I don't see why the OEM didn't provide Windows 98SE drivers, as the OS was only 2 years old at the time of the motherboard release.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!