VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 106, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

most boards I had weren't budget no, but not really expensive ones either until recently... sorry if it sounded like that, I just used that as exeggeration that "even most" budget boards had them (at least most of those I checked) ^^

but yeah I get the upgrading cheap systems, I'm just interested to hear if people did that often.

Reply 43 of 106, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still shake my head at Creative still being a thing when it's painfully obvious how terrible their stuff is 90% of the time.

I'm happy enough to find legit CMI8738's that still have a functioning OPL block that isn't made inaccessible by PCIe bridge chips. It's funny patching out DosBOX to talk to the OPL directly rather than emulating it, kinda wonder if I can do the same thing with QEMU...

Do any of the "modern soundblasters" even have legitimate DSP processors onboard anymore? Has all that kind of processing really moved onto software or are people actually using the supposed ASIC's included on some GPU's now to do audio processing with?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 44 of 106, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-15, 23:07:

A lot of boards that don't have SPDIF outputs on the back panel still have a header.

Which is useless unless you have something to connect it to. So that's the same situation as "just buy a cheap USB to SPDIF device".

Reply 47 of 106, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-16, 11:25:
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-15, 23:07:

A lot of boards that don't have SPDIF outputs on the back panel still have a header.

Which is useless unless you have something to connect it to. So that's the same situation as "just buy a cheap USB to SPDIF device".

Yeah, I like the "Behringer U-Control UCA202".
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-UC … s%2C219&sr=8-13

This thing is great. No drivers needed. Just plug it in and it works.
Works with PC/Mac/Linux
Has SPDIF output.

works great with SPDIF connected to A/V reciever.

You can use this in combination with your original sound card so you don't have to remove anything for your current computer setup.

Attachments

Reply 48 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-16, 12:38:
imi wrote on 2020-04-16, 11:34:

if you can't find a spdif bracket for a few bucks you can also easily make one yourself though, that's not really an argument imho ^^

Most people can't.

As noted above, the brackets are very inexpensive and very available.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SPDIF-Optical-and-RCA … fUAAOSwtJZXXhjX

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 49 of 106, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-16, 14:49:
imi wrote on 2020-04-16, 11:34:

if you can't find a spdif bracket for a few bucks you can also easily make one yourself though, that's not really an argument imho ^^

Most people can't.

That's like 20$ to me. Not saying it's a significant sum, but as I said earlier: if you suddenly find out that's not enough you would have wasted money trying to save it.

Also, that can be 38 days away, a sound card can be less than a day away.

Reply 50 of 106, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-16, 14:56:
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-16, 14:49:

Most people can't.

That's like 20$ to me. Not saying it's a significant sum, but as I said earlier: if you suddenly find out that's not enough you would have wasted money trying to save it.

I built some of these and it works i think. It light up red anyways.
I have not had the time to actually test it.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 40-Pin Header

Reply 51 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Le sigh. I suspect you can find them locally as well.

Reply 52 of 106, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-16, 16:06:

Le sigh. I suspect you can find them locally as well.

No.

Maybe if I ask people around, dig around for a few hours, but my time isn't worthless, the 20$ would be cheaper.

What you all are suggesting is a good idea if you're on an extreme budget and your time isn't important, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Reply 53 of 106, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-16, 17:08:

What you all are suggesting is a good idea if you're on an extreme budget and your time isn't important, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Take a break dude, we get it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 54 of 106, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2020-04-16, 21:19:

Maybe talking about SPDIF headers is off-topic, but I'm not the only one, so I don't see why you're singling me out.

Reply 55 of 106, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-16, 21:47:
badmojo wrote on 2020-04-16, 21:19:

Maybe talking about SPDIF headers is off-topic, but I'm not the only one, so I don't see why you're singling me out.

Spdif header is a good inexpensive option for a sound card with spdif output connector.at $20
But this behringer UCA-202 USB audio device is anther great option at $30.
Both will do the job.

Reply 56 of 106, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have anything against the Behringer DAC per se, but it's basically an order of magnitude higher in cost and significantly inferior in I/O metrics. An onboard solution will have significant technical advantages if you can extract a digital signal and push it through a high performance converter.

There's a reason most semi pro gear used Firewire preferentially.

Reply 57 of 106, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-17, 02:19:

I don't have anything against the Behringer DAC per se, but it's basically an order of magnitude higher in cost and significantly inferior in I/O metrics. An onboard solution will have significant technical advantages if you can extract a digital signal and push it through a high performance converter.

Except for a few very high end sound cards (which are considerably more than 30 bucks, like ten to a hundred times that) it's hard to use an internal sound card and not have problems with coil whine or grounding issues causing noise on modern systems. Most semi-pro audio interfaces are external these days.
It also has the advantage of not having one or more massive cables attached to your computer...

There's a reason most semi pro gear used Firewire preferentially.

During a given era. Currently most interfaces are USB. If you want performance, you get a Thunderbolt interface (Thomann tells me prices start at 500 bucks) and a Mac to use it with.

Reply 58 of 106, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's only because Firewire died away and not because it was not better for audio equipment.

USB is pure shitshow when it comes to audio stuff, in my experience.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 59 of 106, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tryed different ones but for me best one is the " Asus Strix Raid DLX" I also tryed the Soundblaster Z but was not really happy with it. I use my soundcard with a byerdynamic T1 HP so i need strong amp with 600ohm. The Asus gives me the best sound.

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS