VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am getting deeply bored during this ongoing lockdown and I am getting enthused to do something moderately creative, but related to retro PCs naturally. I was thinking about writing a blog or something, but I am uncomfortably aware that it hasn't been 2002 for several years now. Does anyone here read blogs, or already have a blog set up?

I was thinking of just using Wordpress.com (the free one?) as I am sure I'll only write one or two before getting distracted by something else.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 4, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I settled on Blogger because it was a) simple and b) I didn't need more complex features going forward.

Took a while to get going but being able to tweak the HTML is useful and the mobile layouts are acceptable. Plus it seems that getting entries indexed by search engines works nicely. Apparently I'm the top result if you search Google for 1084 CGA.

Although I like making videos for certain things, you can really go nuts with the technical details on a blog. I've had some good feedback on my Toshiba T1000 articles. I was originally inspired by reading The Great Hierophant's blog, Nerdly Pleasures, which is insanely technical. In a good way.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 4, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have my little blog, writing a tiny bit from time to time. Not much to look at.

to9xct.blogspot.dk

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're concerned that no one will read what you have to say, then perhaps you can find an appropriately retro-themed website and ask if they are interested in new contributions?

Reply 4 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Link in my signature. Not that I update it very often, but I hope to be doing a little more of that...

I started it on Blogger as well, but gradually came to the conclusion that both Blogger and WordPress are so full of bloat it's not even funny. I ended up migrating to a static site generator (Hugo). Full control of my own content and layout, mobile-responsive and whatnot, no database required, no security headaches, and no useless scripts unless I explicitly need them (my particular blog is 100% JavaScript-free except for youtube embed iframes).
As you can see, it makes the site pretty damn fast, which I like very much thankyou.

Of course to each his own... it takes some work to set up and maintain, unlike Blogger/WP which are more hands-free. So if it's not a long term project and you don't want to mess with it too much, I'd go with WP.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]