VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey everyone, how's it going? Just thought I'd see if anyone remembers me. Heh, I've only posted once every couple of months or so over the last year, and somehow I'm still almost in the top 10:

memberlist.php?mode=posts&order=DSC

Just goes to show you how bored I was and how much free time I had on my hands when I was in college :p

Hey Snover, is there any way to add the following two features to the memberlist page?

1. Allow the user to click on the desired column header to sort the list by that column. Of course, it's possible to just hack the URL like I did, but not everyone who might want to do that is that bored - er, clever.

2. Add a "last post date" column so people can see who hasn't been around for a while. I would understand if it would be too involved or server-taxing to implement such a feature.

Just some ideas in case you're ever feeling bored (clever?) 😎

Last edited by HunterZ on 2004-12-05, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 yeah. It's from an old Penny Arcade strip (my favorite on-line comic strip):
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-06-11

I definitely don't see myself as a c*ckmonger (actually I'm more like Gabe and Tycho in that strip, in that I can be snobby about games) - it's just a funny pic 😀

Reply 7 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey Snover I have another item to add to my nag list:

3. The "Next" button never works on search result pages (for both posts and userlists) - it always reports "not found" when you try to use it to go to the next page of results (you have to click a page number instead). IMHO the button should work if it's there, and shouldn't be there if it doesn't - either solution would suit me.

Reply 11 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh sure, now it works... Oh well...

The first place I started noticing it was when I do a "new posts since last visit" search that returns a result that is over a page long.

I also had the problem just before I posted today when I was poking around the memberlist (some of which was done using that URL at the top of this thread), but now it seems to be working.

I suppose there's also an outside chance that it's related to the fact that I downgraded from a Mozilla 1.8a6 daily build to Mozilla 1.7 stable (because it chewed up my forumzilla plugin)

Reply 13 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover: AHA! See? I'm not crazy after all! :p

damien: Just out of curiosity, what browser do you use and which kinds of searches give you this problem?

Reply 15 of 18, by damien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just out of curiosity, what browser do you use and which kinds of searches give you this problem?

I use firefox. The only searches I ever do are the "since last visit" ones. It *always* happens when those go to more than one page.

This only started happening a few months ago.

Reply 16 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover, did you forget about this issue? Here's a way to replicate it:

1. Open this link: search.php?search_author=HunterZ
2. Click the "2" link at the bottom (NOT the "next" link!). That and any of the other page number links listed (NOT "next"! Next works!) will give the "no posts" error.

Reply 18 of 18, by damien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I don't have details now, I can say that by fiddling with the URL I can get it working.

E.g., if I click on search since last visit, I get a URL like this:

search.php?search_id=newposts

If I append "&start=25" to this, then I'll get page 2. If I use the pager down the bottom of the search results, the URL is totally different (and obviously wrong).