VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apple is going back to their old ways and getting off of Intel CPU’s.
The “innovator” Apple computers must see a better path with different CPU’s.
The ‘ARM” CPU in the New iPad is fast. Faster than Intel i5 CPU’s.

When Apple was going down hill back in the 1990’s it was the switch to Intel CPU’s in there computers from Motorola
CPU’s that revived Apple. The quality and performance of the Intel CPU put confidence in the consumer to try the Apple computer.
Consumers did not like the Motorola CPU’s.

I have a few old Macintosh computers with the Motorola CPU and they perform okay about the same as a 486-33mhz.

Also the switch to UNIX OSX brought allot of the Unix community to the Apple platform.

It is going to be interesting to see how this turns out for Apple.

They will need a good marketing strategy to bring more consumers to the Apple Mac computers.

Reply 1 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The switch to Intel was in 2005. in the 90ies they switched from Motorola to PowerPC.

The switch to ARM will be interesting and perhaps risky but they are planning ahead and with their own chip design and very powerfull chips and at the same less power consuming chips... who knows...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 547, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This will be very interesting to see, especially for their "high end" machines. If Apple were smart, they would just switch to the newer AMD platform.

I just don't see how they can get that high of performance with ARM, especially in regards to all the "artsy" stuff that is touted by all the Apple sheeple who claim that Apple is the best for graphics, photos, etc... when in fact they have never even tried a PC that costs a lot less and will easily blow the doors off of the Apple products they so cultishly cling to.

I heard about this change months ago and am not holding my breath that this will do anything good for Apple unless their only goal is to make everything more compact, performance be #$%#^#^.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Their ARM chips are very powerful and AMD is not an option. The idea is probably to be finally independent of a third party chipmaker like intel, amd, ibm

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-04-23, 18:17:

Their ARM chips are very powerful and AMD is not an option. The idea is probably to be finally independent of a third party chipmaker like intel, amd, ibm

That and unifying the hardware architecture between MacOS (desktop)and IOS (mobile) is probably an added perk .

Reply 5 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The unifying seems to be more the way to pave the way for the new architecture. With catalyst they brought this closer

Reply 7 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-04-23, 20:24:

ARM's probably small enough to be bought up outright by them... 😒

I hope not. That would bring up a whole lot of anti-trust type issues .
SoftBank Group currently owns ARM Holdings . I imagine Apple could make them an offer they could not resist .

Actually, that might be a good think in the long run . If Apple bought ARM Holdings and stopped licensing the IP to everyone else, there would be enormous pressure to find a replacement, preferably an open one, like RISC-V .

Reply 10 of 547, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt what Apple does or doesn't do makes any difference to 99% of the people who use this forum. For those who persist with them have fun throwing your money away.

Finally got rid of the ancient ipods I used in my car and switched to playing my stored music on the SD card on my phone (Android).
I'd tried many times to do so in the past but the music players apps were always shitty. There are still a couple of gotchas but it's working fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 547, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-04-23, 21:43:

For those who persist with them have fun throwing your money away.

I have never paid any real money towards Apple, but as a married man it can't help.
You would also be surprised that kids grown up in the West, especially in Apple homeland, would be hypnotized of how great everything is with the fruit logo stamp.
So have fun as a family man! 😁

Reply 13 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brownk wrote on 2020-04-24, 00:17:

Dunno much about their motivation of getting a heart surgery to switch from Intel to ARM as there could be few to many reasons to count.

What I know is the days of "Hackintosh 1-2-3" is over.

Not to sound like a troll, but if you aren't overpaying for either underpowered and/or overheating and difficult to upgrade or repair hardware with a cute GUI, you are not getting the full (modern) Apple experience .

Last edited by darry on 2020-04-24, 00:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-04-24, 00:26:

Well, this is like guys in tees and sandals ripping a guy for wearing an expensive suit. They think he's crazy. He thinks they're crazy. *shrug*

Everyone's got an opinion and that's ok .

That being said, I don't actually hate MacOS. Hell, I've even considered getting a Mac Mini at some point, and the pre-dustbin Mac Pros were really something, but somewhere along the way things started going down hill, at least in terms of what I value in computer hardware .

Playing hackintosh might be fun for some, but I personally do not like the idea of constantly fighting with the upstream software provider in order to receive updates and risking to have the next one break something, forcing me to look for a hack or to re-install. This does not do it for me .

As for IOS, I am not a fan of hermetic walled gardens . I am not against centralized and curated software repositories, but being completely locked into one makes me feel claustrophobic .

To each his own .

Reply 16 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-04-24, 00:43:

Playing hackintosh might be fun for some, but I personally do not like the idea of constantly fighting with the upstream software provider in order to receive updates and risking to have the next one break something, forcing me to look for a hack or to re-install. This does not do it for me .

I get enough of that from Microsoft (Windows 10) without it being intentional (probably).

Before somebody jumped on that, I thought I'd do it myself . 😀

Reply 17 of 547, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-04-23, 18:05:

I just don't see how they can get that high of performance with ARM, especially in regards to all the "artsy" stuff that is touted by all the Apple sheeple who claim that Apple is the best for graphics, photos, etc... when in fact they have never even tried a PC that costs a lot less and will easily blow the doors off of the Apple products they so cultishly cling to.

Have you used a Mac day-in day-out for years and years (specifically for "artsy" stuff) until you've totally comfortable with every aspect of the system? And done the same alongside a Windows PC as well? If not, then you might not want to insult people the other way around, especially people like me who have used both for decades now (and for numerous different Fortune 100 companies, so not just as a hobby).

Neither of my computers are super new anymore or anything, far from it. Right now I use a pretty ancient 2013 Mac Pro at work (wasn't going to upgrade until the new one came out last year... then dragged my feet too long and Covid happened... ;( My at-home computer was a (super duper fast when I got it – again, not super new anymore) i7 7700K decked out. Both run the same Adobe Creative Cloud programs (along with just over 400 other international users I help run the Adobe Admin Console for in my company - both Mac and PC users - they can choose which they want, and with 2x included licenses per user, and some systems which are PC only, per user MANY run it on both).

For me, guess which one is nearly seamless, rarely if ever freezes on me, doesn't ever have weird lags for no reason, weird things happen randomly, freak out for no reason, asks me to update the OS like 5+ times a week always with numerous reboot cycles it feels like, programs needing to be reinstalled for no reason to get them to work again without issues, need to format from scratch about once a year to keep it running at the same speed it previously ran at, doesn't have cpu spikes when I'm not even doing anything intensive, doesn't hate the Fiery server on the $100K printer.... (and FYI this isn't just on Adobe programs, it's overall... and it's not just from me... I have a LOT of people I help manage tell me about mirror experiences)

The Windows machine, with a WAY faster and newer everything gives me all these issues very frequently. Not that the mac is perfect, but I literally get an exponential less amount of issues when I work on the Mac - it simply just runs (except for that friggin Adobe Bridge program... I hate that 🤣, it can NOT handle our 793gb image database). Which one will win when I'm doing a special blend or something in Photoshop, or rendering a video? The PC will for sure, and was definitely cheaper, but considering how I will waste no less than ten times more time on a near-daily basis just using the Windows computer normally, the Mac MORE than makes up for it overall. Like no contest whatsoever. Not even close. And time is money.

Reply 18 of 547, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-04-24, 00:23:

Not to sound like a troll, but if you aren't overpaying for either underpowered and/or overheating and difficult to upgrade or repair hardware with a cute GUI, you are not getting the full (modern) Apple experience .

I think I have a fair share of Apple experience from a Message Pad all the way up to few MBPs & iPhones. I'm also an avid user of OSX on non-Apple rigs since 10.4.x days. I get your point as a non-Apple user, but there're certain merits to have Apple products in your possession for sure.

All I'm saying is those days of running Apple SW on noname, Frankenstein-ish, hand-made PCs are apparently coming to an end. That's all.

Btw, when I switched back to linux, the first things that hit me were how fucking gorgeous and unbinding its console was, and how equally flimsy its GUI system still was. Oh, God...

Reply 19 of 547, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahhh..... Like, this is the same old talk again.

Apple switching to PPC = People complaining.
Apple switching to x86 = People complaining.
Apple removing Floppy drive = people complaining.
Apple removing optical drive = people complaining.

Were have we seen this elsewere? Uhhh. I know.
Microsoft introducing Win95 and start button = People complaining.
Microsoft removing startbutton in Windows = People complaining.

If they move to ARM and stuff works, who freaking cares.
Especially Apple users/fanboys, as most of them only care for what is on the screen and what name it has.

Now quit complaining, unless it does not work.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011