VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 547, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brownk wrote on 2020-04-24, 10:31:

Btw, when I switched back to linux, the first things that hit me were how fucking gorgeous and unbinding its console was, and how equally flimsy its GUI system still was. Oh, God...

How long ago was that? What GUI did you run? What shell did you use? I switched from Win7 to Linux in 2016, and I have never been more pleased. That said, I have had time to find the right distro for my need's with the right GUI, as I have had Linux experience since 1995. I have tried and tested tons of distro's since then and learned what I needed to be able to switch 99% (Still need Win to wipe drives if they are too heavy damaged). One thing I am extremely happy with, is that I can mount and read/write on an Amiga formatted harddisk in Linux.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apple had their fair share of problems with CPU suppliers. When they announced PowerMac G5 in 2003, IBM promised them that they would have a 3GHz part within a year. When Apple switched to Intel years later, there were still no 3GHz PowerPC 970 CPUs on the horizon.

The whole industry at the moment is very dissatisfied with Intel who have shat their bed repeatedly since 2015 and it's still not clear when they will resolve their current issues. That's why Microsoft is also flirting with ARM. I guess Apple decided that two times (three times if you count rather disappointing 68040 and 68060 chips) is enough. And relying on AMD is not any better than relying on Intel, after all AMD couldn't offer competitive performance for 10 years or so...

ARM is not any better or worse than x86 performance wise, it's just an instruction set. When Acorn just released their RiscPCs in 1980s, they were consistently praised for their high performance. If you design a CPU core that is wide enough, you can have very high performance per clock indeed.

Reply 22 of 547, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2020-04-24, 10:54:
Ahhh..... Like, this is the same old talk again. […]
Show full quote

Ahhh..... Like, this is the same old talk again.

Apple switching to PPC = People complaining.
Apple switching to x86 = People complaining.
Apple removing Floppy drive = people complaining.
Apple removing optical drive = people complaining.

Were have we seen this elsewere? Uhhh. I know.
Microsoft introducing Win95 and start button = People complaining.
Microsoft removing startbutton in Windows = People complaining.

If they move to ARM and stuff works, who freaking cares.
Especially Apple users/fanboys, as most of them only care for what is on the screen and what name it has.

Now quit complaining, unless it does not work.

always the same... people complaining about people complaining.

scnr 😁

Reply 23 of 547, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brownk wrote on 2020-04-24, 10:31:
I think I have a fair share of Apple experience from a Message Pad all the way up to few MBPs & iPhones. I'm also an avid user o […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-04-24, 00:23:

Not to sound like a troll, but if you aren't overpaying for either underpowered and/or overheating and difficult to upgrade or repair hardware with a cute GUI, you are not getting the full (modern) Apple experience .

I think I have a fair share of Apple experience from a Message Pad all the way up to few MBPs & iPhones. I'm also an avid user of OSX on non-Apple rigs since 10.4.x days. I get your point as a non-Apple user, but there're certain merits to have Apple products in your possession for sure.

All I'm saying is those days of running Apple SW on noname, Frankenstein-ish, hand-made PCs are apparently coming to an end. That's all.

Btw, when I switched back to linux, the first things that hit me were how fucking gorgeous and unbinding its console was, and how equally flimsy its GUI system still was. Oh, God...

I didn't think about it, but yeah, I bet one of the main drivers behind this is to eliminate Hackintosh machines.

However, the OS source is freely available so what will keep people from compiling it for x86/AMD64 ?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never heard any Mac users complain about the reliability of the Intel CPU. But there was an issue with CPU throttling but I think that was a Apple problem.
In any case. I think Apple has bigger problems with the Mac's in keyboard issues, and faulty logic board solder jobs.
The Intel CPU has served the Apple computer well over the years in use.

Reply 27 of 547, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My fascination with Mac ended around 2002 with the ugly table lamp replacing the then ubiquitous neat colorful CRTs, and on the hobbyist software developing side of things, Macs are a strain as Apple continually add more barriers to development and random bouts of courage and there's always a segment of users that expect you to work with that. 😐 Supporting Win95 in 2020 is more comfortable than trying to get something out and working on OSX Catalina

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 547, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-25, 01:33:

I never heard any Mac users complain about the reliability of the Intel CPU. But there was an issue with CPU throttling but I think that was a Apple problem.
In any case. I think Apple has bigger problems with the Mac's in keyboard issues, and faulty logic board solder jobs.
The Intel CPU has served the Apple computer well over the years in use.

Apple users complained back when Apple did the PPC-to-Intel switch. A month later they stopped complaining. Like I said. Apple users just want the darn thing to work. What ticks under the hood, are for most apple users, something they dont want to care about. To them it is just black magic. Not calling them stupid, they just dont care.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 29 of 547, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd think if they were going to switch CPUs completely they would have done it before pissing people off by dumping 32-bit support. They're going to be a lot more pissed when the 64-bit apps that they've just been forced to upgrade to (in many cases paying for the privilege) run like crap due to being emulated on ARM.

Reply 31 of 547, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They might have said that, but it makes little sense when they're completely different architectures. Either it will be emulated (in which case so could 32-bit be emulated) or a transition to ARM will be required (making the first transition pointless).

Reply 33 of 547, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's interesting to see some people here, who thinks that Apple will instantly replace every Intel CPU in portfolio with their own ARM SoC. Nothing can't be further from the truth. They'll start either with completely new notebook line, or reintroduce MacBook line once again, this time with ARM. Rest of the portfolio will stay with Intel, at least for foreseeable future. If they wanted to replace Intel for whole portfolio, why they would be releasing all new Mac Pro?

Also regarding apps, they never had a problem to throw app devs under the bus, if they wanted to change their architecture completely. They'll either adapt or will be left behind. Companies like Adobe most likely received healthy payment to recompile their apps to ARM. And did you think, that Project Catalyst was born out of nowhere, just like that? Think again...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 34 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Judging from how Apple switched platform before or whenever they switch something else, I'd say there will no parallel platforms.
Once Apple commits, it fully commits

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 36 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-25, 13:00:
Dominus wrote on 2020-04-25, 09:33:

Honestly, Apple has said nothing about this 😉

It's been a rumor for some time now but it just made the local Silicon Valley TV news the other day. They confirmed that it was true.

AFAIK Apple did not confirm this. Intel did however 😀
But please post the Apple confirmation, I'd like to read that.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 37 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2020-04-25, 14:17:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-25, 13:00:
Dominus wrote on 2020-04-25, 09:33:

Honestly, Apple has said nothing about this 😉

It's been a rumor for some time now but it just made the local Silicon Valley TV news the other day. They confirmed that it was true.

AFAIK Apple did not confirm this. Intel did however 😀
But please post the Apple confirmation, I'd like to read that.

Apple is like the the BIGGEST company in Silicon Valley. You would not want to posts false rumors unless you wanted to get sued.
So when the local news reported this I was shocked. And I guess it must be true then.
The San Francisco TV news station would not posts false news about Apple unless they had an reliable source.
And they mostly confirmed it with Apple before posting the news.

Maybe it will just be the Macbook line. I don’t know
But it seems pretty drastic to switch the iMac and Mac Pro to ARM CPU’s.

Reply 38 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So it is not confirmed and still a rumor.
Of course it is pretty good rumor and most likely true, but rumors about what Apple plans have been going on for years and sometimes they are spot on and other times not so much. Not much suing has been done by Apple in regards to that. Apple confirms by updating their store or by keynotes.
Confirmed is when they can report that Apple person XYZ said/confirmed something.