VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 240 of 547, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pro Market hasn't been happy for a while now. Trash can Mac caused the biggest complaint and fair enough, as a workstation they are really a poor inflexible design. Consumer product they are actually pretty good IMHO .
Die hard fans will continue I'm sure, Worked for a place where we gave CAD guys choice of Apple or HP workstations, 95% went with Mac. I'm sure "coolness factor" was just as important in that decision as functionality.

I think this is where Job's and Apple were the perfect partners. Both are really good at marketing making them appear to be something special, but under the surface there inst that much difference between them and everyone else.

Reply 241 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always chose mac over anything because as an UI/UX Designer, I love macOS, the looks and feel of the system, and how easy my workflow is there. I don’t have any of these with Windows 10. It’s just painful for me to use current generation Windows, I always preferred classic Windows over anything before XP/Vista came in. I could work on Ubuntu if Adobe had a linux version of CC.

No doubt it’s getting harder for some to stay when the hardware is being more of an issue than the software. But I weighed in the things after the WWDC and its still relevant for me to stay with a mac for work, so I will keep my intel mac going on for as long as it’s still supported before moving to an arm mac.

Luckily, my MBP made the cut for the Big Sur update, but I cannot say the same for the MBP that I use at work, Catalina is the last stop for it unless dosdude1 makes a patcher and my boss authorizes me to use it. I don’t think he will.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 242 of 547, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-06-29, 12:45:

I always chose mac over anything because as an UI/UX Designer, I love macOS, the looks and feel of the system, and how easy my workflow is there. I don’t have any of these with Windows 10. It’s just painful for me to use current generation Windows, I always preferred classic Windows over anything before XP/Vista came in. I could work on Ubuntu if Adobe had a linux version of CC.

I think that's the main dilemma also.
*nix is a fiddler's OS of choice, very flexible but stressing, too. Anytime you like to make full use of something you have to "make" it yourself.
Windows is messy and untrustworthy, but has big hardware/technical support.
macOS is relaxing, but the stereotypical user is wearing Hawaii shirt and sandals and has too little concerns in regards to underlying issues.

Edit: http://www.zyra.org.uk/os-air.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 243 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The DTK arrived today and the first baby steps were nice (except that the thunderbolt2 to thunderbolt3 adapter to use my thunderbolt display doesn't work but that was to be expected - it doesn't work with newer Macbooks, too).
I installed one app via the Appstore (Forklift) and that runs.
Next will be a development prefix for Exult and Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 244 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-06-29, 14:11:

The DTK arrived today and the first baby steps were nice (except that the thunderbolt2 to thunderbolt3 adapter to use my thunderbolt display doesn't work but that was to be expected - it doesn't work with newer Macbooks, too).

The DTK doesn't have any Thunderbolt ports, only USB-C Gen 3.2

Reply 245 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-06-29, 14:11:

No Qemu? 😬 j/k 😜

Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-29, 13:23:
I think that's the main dilemma also. *nix is a fiddler's OS of choice, very flexible but stressing, too. Anytime you like to ma […]
Show full quote
Bruninho wrote on 2020-06-29, 12:45:

I think that's the main dilemma also.
*nix is a fiddler's OS of choice, very flexible but stressing, too. Anytime you like to make full use of something you have to "make" it yourself.
Windows is messy and untrustworthy, but has big hardware/technical support.
macOS is relaxing, but the stereotypical user is wearing Hawaii shirt and sandals and has too little concerns in regards to underlying issues.

Edit: http://www.zyra.org.uk/os-air.htm

I had to laugh a bit for the airlines comparison. Nice one

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 246 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, I figured that out, too 😉
Had to connect it via hdmi to my TV, set up remote admin and now am controlling it via remote desktop

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 250 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-29, 19:04:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-29, 17:35:

Intel corp doesn’t use Apple computers anyways. They use IBM computers.

IBM doesn't even make Intel-based servers anymore 😀 Why on Earth would Intel use 15-years old IBM computers?

Okay, well they use to use IBM computers but I am sure they must be using some sort of IBM standard computer today.

Reply 255 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, first results with the dtk:
- SDL1.2x has a problem with coreaudio -> DOSBox has no audio
- DOSBox has a problem with the dynrec core for ARM -> no dynamic core -> slow

My iMac Pro gets 179FPS in dynamic core, and 28FPS in normal core.
My old 2012 Mac Mini get 88FPS in dynamic core, and 10FPS in normal core.
As I'm not allowed to post benchmarks, let's just say, the DTK is way closer to the iMac Pro in normal core than the old Mac Mini.

SDL2 does not build at all for me, there is some stuff seriously wrong for now.

Qemu is something for another time...

Reply 256 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-06-29, 20:49:

As I'm not allowed to post benchmarks, let's just say, the DTK is way closer to the iMac Pro in normal core than the old Mac Mini.

AppleInsider just published some GeekBench results for the DTK: https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/29/ha … -transition-kit

It's similar to Core i3-8100 inside the base model Mac mini, but they're running the Intel version of GeekBench (obviously). I'm pretty sure native performance is going to be far better.

Reply 257 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah, I saw those. Most interesting in this regard is that this is the 2 years old (? correct me if I'm wrong, I picked that up somewhere) ipad ARM. You can bet that this is not the chip they will build in actual release machines.

Reply 258 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-06-29, 20:55:

yeah, I saw those. Most interesting in this regard is that this is the 2 years old (? correct me if I'm wrong, I picked that up somewhere) ipad ARM. You can bet that this is not the chip they will build in actual release machines.

Yes, it's a re-binned version of A12X that was released in 2018. It is basically the same but has one more GPU core enabled.

Reply 259 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They undeclocked it and the benchmark was run with a x86 app through Rosetta 2. Not bad.

JOBS, Steve.