VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 420 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Calling all GitHub devs... read this: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/24/xcode-ma … rate-app-store/

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 421 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

that is very unspecific written... (or I didn't understand it 😀)
it seems as if an "infected" project is either attacking the system the project is compiled on OR attacking the system an app compiled from such a project is run on.
How does it spread? just by downloading a project with this exploit and compile it (again then what happens?)?
How is this different from any project you have no idea what the code actually does (or have time to vet everything in the code)? Or from any app you download from the internet and run it?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 422 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same questions. Still, better to be alert instead of ignoring the threat.

From what I could understand, certain projects on github probably rely/depend on content from other repositories (I assume these are the "dependencies") to compile.

It can happen that a certain repository is infected, and the malware apparently only attacks the computer where the compiled app from that project in particular is run on.

Well, we all know that this is the risk associated with running apps from independent/third party developers, right? Also another reason why some people defend the App Store's walled garden.

One specific point though, they (the ones that found and reported the malware) told Apple in December 2019, and there were at least two security updates issued by Apple. I haven't read the details of them, but probably they've already patched it.

If anything, this case was probably one of they key reasons for why they implemented the privacy notifications on iOS 14 about what each app is doing in your phone with your clipboard data and/or accessing specific private data.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 423 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Seems Apple fixed things in their betas, the intel DOSBox SVN no longer crashes on the DTK.
In dynamic core it is half as fast as my late 2012 MacMini, in normal core it is actually faster. Still no working dynamic core for the DTK ARM.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 424 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:12:

Seems Apple fixed things in their betas, the intel DOSBox SVN no longer crashes on the DTK.
In dynamic core it is half as fast as my late 2012 MacMini, in normal core it is actually faster. Still no working dynamic core for the DTK ARM.

So basically dosbox is somewhat faster on the DTK? That's some "good" news. You used the intel build through Rosetta 2 or you compiled an arm64 version? Ignore my question, I misread your post (intel DOSBox SVN).

A faster dosbox will be vital for the retro gaming emulation in the future when the AS macs ships next year.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 425 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Somehow the DtK is faster in the normal core BUT the normal core is the slow core 😉
On the dynamic core, the really fast core (on the 2012 macmini normal core gets 10fps and dynamic core 100fps), the DTK is much slower. But that's to be expected as the dynamic core relies heavily on the architecture and needs new code for each architecture. That the DTK gets that much speed on it is a testament to the Rosetta emulation

Reply 428 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-13, 23:59:

Well this certainly throws a wrench into the Apple-acquiring-ARM plans. and i know some of you are still having PTSD of certain nvidiacquisitions. The PR on this being all AI hype has me very concerned.

Apple just licenses the instruction set, everything else they do is pretty much custom. There's no real danger here.

Anyway, ARM licenses AFAIK are perpetual. Worst case scenario would be, Apple starts doing its own instruction set, but that is in a long term scenario. Short term, NVIDIA buying ARM has no effect in Apple's plans.

Apple couldn't even think about buying ARM, because it would drag them into more anti trust issues. Hence why SoftBank was the owner of ARM - they don't produce chipsets so they were pretty much a neutral entity. NVIDIA not so much, they are aggressive.

For ARM Cortex products though, its something to be worried. NVIDIA could well kill them.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 429 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-09-01, 06:06:

Somehow the DtK is faster in the normal core BUT the normal core is the slow core 😉
On the dynamic core, the really fast core (on the 2012 macmini normal core gets 10fps and dynamic core 100fps), the DTK is much slower. But that's to be expected as the dynamic core relies heavily on the architecture and needs new code for each architecture. That the DTK gets that much speed on it is a testament to the Rosetta emulation

That's some very encouraging news. Hopefully the dynamic core gets a good rewrite for the new architecture, and one of the key weak points of DOSBox-X is exactly the dynamic core, as of now it can't be used for Windows 9x, you are forced to use the normal core. Hopefully this can also change in the future.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 430 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-13, 23:59:

Well this certainly throws a wrench into the Apple-acquiring-ARM plans. and i know some of you are still having PTSD of certain nvidiacquisitions. The PR on this being all AI hype has me very concerned.

Yeah, Apple has not shown a want to buy arm

Reply 433 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-09-14, 10:00:

neither should have been the sale to nvidia, but yet here we are.

I still don't think that will go through either. We will see though..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 435 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-09-14, 10:18:

well they already put out a press release... I think it's too late for that.
https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-to- … r-the-age-of-ai

Nah, the two parties agreed to the deal, it will still be subject to all kinds of approvals from competition boards etc..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 436 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/artic … a-disaster.html

He has a point though.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 439 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New VMware Fusion 12 is out now, both Player (Free) and Pro (Paid) versions. I still havent'seen the differences but apparently Player doesn't get to use the eGPU. Not an issue for me. But I want to know what more I am missing.

EDIT: "Fusion provides support for external GPU when an external GPU is connected to the host. Choose the Prefer External GPU option from the Fusion UI." It's not clear if the option only shows if when there is an eGPU, but when I tested the beta preview the option was there even though I did not have it. Must have been a bug.

I can install macOS Big Sur on it. Also, you need a 2015 or later Mac to take advantage of DirectX 11 with OpenGL 4.1. I installed Player on my 2013 rMBP and I can only max at DX 10.1 & OpenGL 3.3. Yuck.

Parallels Desktop do not have a such problem AFAIK...

EDIT 2: Found it. Not really missing much apart of eGPU, DX11 and Virtual Network advanced customization (I can still change the MAC address, the other stuff is still there).

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.