VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 360 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-08, 19:48:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-07, 04:42:

Any news on VMware Fusion Tech Preview? I heard it could be out this month but not sure when. I need to virtualize Big Sur and run Xcode 12 beta to start learning some things about the new UI.

Now https://twitter.com/VMwareFusion/status/1280902079792332800

THAAAAANK YOU SO MUCH, SIR!

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 361 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried it, vmware acknowledges that theres still bugs on it so certain aspects of Big Sur UI are unusable. I will need to wait a bit more for workarounds.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 362 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now, this is GOOD news for those with old PPC macs!!

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/11/arm-inte … erpc-universal/

Last edited by Bruninho on 2020-07-12, 04:34. Edited 1 time in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 364 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-07-12, 01:05:

what is? ^^

F**k, I thought I had posted the link. I will edit the post. Thanks

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 366 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-12, 01:03:

I had no doubt about this.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 367 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-12, 01:03:

How is it good news, exactly? I doubt any applications that will be ported to ARM are going to run on PPC Macs anyway, since they're stuck with a very old version of Mac OS X...

Reply 368 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, I don't quite see the big news in it, too. BUT take DOSBox as an example, if it eventually runs on ARM macOS, I could make a very fat universal app, that runs on PPC, Intel 32bit, Intel 64bit and ARM. All in one app. Because you just "glue" the different architecture binaries into one big binary via the lipo command and macOS is able to figure out which one to run on the present platform (or you can force it via settings in the info.plist).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 369 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-12, 09:52:

yes, I don't quite see the big news in it, too. BUT take DOSBox as an example, if it eventually runs on ARM macOS, I could make a very fat universal app, that runs on PPC, Intel 32bit, Intel 64bit and ARM. All in one app. Because you just "glue" the different architecture binaries into one big binary via the lipo command and macOS is able to figure out which one to run on the present platform (or you can force it via settings in the info.plist).

That’s what I thought, not only for DOSBox. It will also depend of the developers will to do such efforts. But I said good news not BIG news 😜

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 370 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-12, 13:54:
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-12, 09:52:

That’s what I thought, not only for DOSBox. It will also depend of the developers will to do such efforts. But I said good news not BIG news 😜

It's news that is interesting as all hell for like three reasons that you need to be a collector of old stuff to even think about.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 371 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So... it has been 1 month and no news regarding virtualization of x86 OS on ARM Macs... Even though Parallels and VMware are said to be working on it... let's see: Apple demonstrated the DTK can virtualize ARM linux distros, as shown with Debian ARM. Meaning, the prototype mac does have some sort of hypervisor. Whether it can virtualize x86 or not remains to be seen, but if it was possible Apple would have said so, not to lose customers that need it.

Meaning... we will probably still rely on emulation to do the job for older OSes. *Gulp*.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 374 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The good news on "Apple on Arm" is that VMware actually has a Proof of concept (vSphere on Arm) running.

So there may be some hope... I hope...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 376 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the fun thing, right now I loaded VMware Fusion Tech Preview to play FIFA 98 RTWC on Windows 98 SE vm. My Late 2013 rMBP Intel CPU went as hot as if it was summer here in Rio and the cooling system was freaking noisy like a vacuum cleaner.

And when I load the same game with the same VM on my 2017 iPad Pro with UTM, no noise, no such high temperature...

Now I am much more convinced that ARM Macs will be the future...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 377 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

YOU don't get to say that!!! Not after all the pages in this thread in which you wanted to crucify Apple and Cook for this step 😂

Reply 378 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-28, 05:24:

YOU don't get to say that!!! Not after all the pages in this thread in which you wanted to crucify Apple and Cook for this step 😂

Hahahaha, I know! But I can change my mind, can’t I? I’d be a stubborn idiot if I couldn’t look at it from all the angles and/or without research before even making a decision, right? 🤣

Well, I did my homework, at least. Not much will really change for me, but I am not 100% invested in it yet, I am just waiting for how they’ll solve the x86 virtualization. That’s the only big obstacle for me, I just need that for my old retro gaming virtual machines.

But then, I do believe that VMware and Parallels will come with something that will work. Only time will tell.

Oh, and one more thing (pun intended)... Tim Cook is still a complete idiot for me; I still do not like and neither agree with many things he does at Apple. Many things could be better, but these things are still broken or very expensive. For example, I still want smaller phones, not bigger ones. My dream is a iPhone 4S size model with newest iOS and A14, but instead he gives me a 2nd gen iPhone SE with the newest A12 Bionic, iOS and the looks of an iPhone 6. Dammit =/

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 379 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Of course you can change your mind 😉
BUT NOT AFTER PUTTING UP THAT MUCH OF AN EXHAUSTING FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
😂

People sure seem to like bigger phones. I thought I only want small ones but now I'm happy with an XS. And that's almost as big as a Max (or is it Plus?) which I still think is way too big 😉