VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SimEarth on the PC is a game I enjoy experimenting with every now and then (usually ending up in destroying the Earth with tons CO2 and Nitrogen). However, there's another version of the game that I think might actually be the very best one, and that's the Japan-only Sega Mega CD version. It was developed by Game Arts and I think they did a great job with it, and it blows the TurboGrafx-CD version out of the water. Its graphics and sound are far superior to the DOS PC original, imo. The in-game music is neat since it's using YM2612 FM + the Sega CD's own PCM chip. The only real negatives are the lower resolution/less visible area than the DOS PC version, and it's not as responsive to actions as the DOS PC version due to the slower CPU and such. I think the perfect version of SimEarth would be to somehow make an SVGA mod for the original DOS PC version to keep the 640x480 resolution but also give it the graphics assets and music of the Mega CD one. Also, while it is entirely in Japanese, it's not impossible to play if you become familiar with the options in the original English version. An English translation would be awesome, though. There's very little actual gameplay footage on YouTube, so I might fix that sometime. For now I'll link below what we do have so far. Anyways, that's all. Just wanted to spread some awareness of this unfortunately very overlooked version of what I think is a pretty interesting game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cElaQBRsEGU