VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since a TV is also for game play and can be used with Retro computer too.

I would like to see photos of your favorite TV.

Could be old or NEW, Small or large.

Here is MY NEW Giant 4K TV that I purchased with my IRS Stimulus money.
I purchased this from Costco.
I researched that this is the best TV for under $1000
And the specs of this TV meet home theater grade quality.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/148035 … IEaAntiEALw_wcB

I actually wanted a smaller TV but this one costs about the same so I just purchased this one.
It is just the right size for our Family room. Our old TV was a 15 year old Plasma that was starting to die.
So I had to buy a new tv. I tried to repair the capacitors on the Plasma TV but it had other problems and
Repair was beyond the tools and experience I have.
This TV works great with my old Yamaha 7.1 receiver. I swear my 7.1 Surround sound sound better now.
Now with my iPad I can Chromecast Vogons videos to my 65” 4k TV and play in 7.1 Surround sound.
This thing Rattles and Shakes the entire room like a 6.0 earthquake. The Bass is too much...

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-05-17, 17:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird thread, but ok.

The biggest screen I have is my 105" projector screen with an Epson HomeCinema 1080. It is older but still looks great with the lights off. I have a HTPC hooked up for movies and games.. Emby, Steam Link, Retroarch, etc. Full Polk 7.1 surround sound with Onkyo receiver and BIC Acoustec 12" sub. (still need to relocate the sub) Other than that, I'm using a 60" LG Plasma PM6700 for normal every day viewing in the living room.

KKujLAK.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 7, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-17, 14:19:
Weird thread, but ok. […]
Show full quote

Weird thread, but ok.

The biggest screen I have is my 105" projector screen with an Epson HomeCinema 1080. It is older but still looks great with the lights off. I have a HTPC hooked up for movies and games.. Emby, Steam Link, Retroarch, etc. Full Polk 7.1 surround sound with Onkyo receiver and BIC Acoustec 12" sub. (still need to relocate the sub) Other than that, I'm using a 60" LG Plasma PM6700 for normal every day viewing in the living room.

KKujLAK.jpg

Is that a 12” Klipsch subwoofer. I had one like that but it was too powerful for our wood floor foundation. It would shake the entire house.
So I am using a 10” Polk Subwoofer and I have it turned down low as it too is very powerful. I am using (8) 6” bookshelf speakers for surrounds and I have two center channels with dual 6” speakers in each.

This setup sounds good. Blows away a Bose setup. I like the fact that the speakers produce a softer sound. So they are not too hard on the ears with big horns and high pitch tweeters. Great for listening to music too.
I ran some test using audio test videos from Youtube. And these setup sounds pretty good.
More than enough for our small family room.
Audio is better than a Movie theater.
https://youtu.be/QYU8zydUqD8

Reply 3 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My favorite TV?

LCD? my Sony KDL-40Z4500
it has a VGA input and practically no input lag
image quality is more than good enough for me on this 12 year old LCD, don't need anything more.

CRT? my Sony KX-27PS1
because it's just magnificient in every regard
(technically not really a "TV" as it doesn't have a tuner, that was sold seperately)

Reply 4 of 7, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favorite TV? I'd say it would be my parent's old Samsung PS42A456P2D, we won this behemoth in a contest... At 42" it might be small by today's standards, but when new it felt huuuge!

I love that people think it's a LCD when they look at it, but when you see the deep blacks and feel the weight of that thing, it's when they realize that it's a Plasma.

As for CRTs, I'll go like Imi, and I'll say my two PVM-9042QMs are my favorite CRTs, they are small, aren't fussy about NTSC/SECAM/PAL and can even do NTSC-J.

Btw Imi, that's a nice Sony Profeel unit that you have there 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_130006.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200515_130006.jpg
    File size
    961.6 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The "twins", after I cleaned them up and tested them.
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Vynix on 2020-05-20, 14:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 5 of 7, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are two more pics, the one with the U-bolts was a unit I already had, it was made in 2002 and has a A20JKU10X tube, whereas the right one is from 2000 and has a A20JKU11X tube.

The pics in my initial post were when I had bought the right one and its twin.

Attachments

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 6 of 7, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm surprised you use chromecast with yer ipad, wouldn't the apple tv be easier to link up with?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 7 of 7, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2020-05-21, 14:45:

I'm surprised you use chromecast with yer ipad, wouldn't the apple tv be easier to link up with?

Actually, this TV supports both Chromecast and AirPlay.