VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey and hello

I have only recently started to figure out OPL3 emulation for DOS games, so pardon if I'm asking for something that has been beaten to death already (actually don't think it has, as OPL3 emulation software seems to have really started to fourish in recent years), but if I am to save tunes from a DOS game to play it back, what would be the format to store it?

- Game native - easy to rip, but has dependency on ADPlug, which in DOS or Windows (foobar2000) forms is far from being user-friendly, or RDOS which is not maintained
- DRO - easy to rip, but has several versions and random utilities and apps only supporting certain ones, and people seemingly keeping several DOSBox versions just to choose right
- IMF - needs conversion to, has a maintained player for ISA systems, also has this "id software fame" around the format and is used by popular games, so likely will not be abandoned by community
- VGM(Z) - needs conversion to, has a maintained player for ISA systems, lots of tools and apps, however the community seems to be mostly around non-PC gaming machines
- MIDI + OLP3 bank - needs elaborate conversion and must be seen as a perversion of sorts, but allows to use a generic MIDI player on Windows with e.g. ADLJack

All of that taken into account I personally am leaning to IMF (and MIDI + OPL3 as an experiment of sorts), so asking for guidance if this is actually misguided.

Thanks

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 1 of 1, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMF is fine for music targeting real AdLib cards and compatibles, i.e. OPL2 chips. But IMF cannot do OPL3 and due to the fact that pure IMF files don't store the desired playback speed in the file, they are not the optimal solution for just any game soundtrack.

DRO should be able to do OPL3, depending on the version I guess.