VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It takes too damned long to format a 160gb drive as one big NTFS partition.

I finally got my Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (had to tell FedEx to give the damned thing to my apartment manager because they wouldn't deliver it without a signature) and put it in my computer, but I don't want to take it for a test drive yet because it'll probably crash at 8x AGP (got a crappy MSI VIA KT400 mobo that doesn't like doing AGP at 8x even though it claims to support it). If it crashes, I'll have to start the format over from scratch 🙁

So, I'll have to wait it out. It's been over an hour so far, and WinXP Pro doesn't have a status bar for formatting hard drives in the Disk Management administrator tool. I should have used the FORMAT command prompt command - then I'd have at least been shown a percentage complete.

I think last time I formatted a drive, it was 120GB and took a whole day. That seems way too long. My drives are EIDE running at ATA100 (well, one might be ATA133) with 80-wire ribbon cables (non-rounded cuz I'm cheap). Maybe it would have been faster to hunt down the newest version of Partition Magic or something to do the NTFS format, but at least this way I can do everything but 3D gaming until the format completes. Dammit.

Reply 2 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this a Maxtor drive?

Been awhile since I formatted a big drive. I've got about 13 external enclosures that when I add the HD to 'em initially I do a full format but it's been quite awhile since I did that and I don't remember how long it took. I just let 'em format over night.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that a quick format or a full format? I guess a quick format should only take 10 seconds though...

Your disk probably got formatted with a much higher allocation/cluster/whatever size I bet. I left mine on Default, but it probably picked a small value (my other drives/partitions/volumes/whatever seem to be at 4KB). The upshot is that you save a lot of space (that would be wasted due to internal fragmentation) and the downside is that the MFT is bigger and disk access speed goes down faster as fragmentation increases (since the drive will be jumping around more to fetch smaller pieces of data).

I should have set the largest allocation size possible, since I plan to use it as one giant swapfile until I get the rest of the parts for my new computer. Oh well.

Reply 4 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DosFreak: Nah, it's a Seagate 160GB 7200RPM EIDE ATA100 8MB cache. I have a 120GB WD and 80GB Maxtor in the computer too (the WD is the other one I said took forever - don't remember how long the Maxtor took)

Reply 6 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ribbon13: I would do that, but my main purpose in throwing the drive into my current system is to burn it in before buying the rest of my parts. I plan to do a surface scan after it's done formatting and before making the swapfile.

It's now been going for a good two hours...

Reply 7 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would use Partition Magic or the such. At least it tells you THE TIME NEEDED TO PERFORM THE TASK.
I remember there are two different format processes QUICK and NORMAL. The Normal can be a pain in the butt until finishes, at least for newer humongous hard drives. And, by the way, it doesn't matter that much that the drive is 7200rpm, ATA100 or whatever. It will take SOME TIME.

Reply 8 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I didn't expect it to be lightning fast, but taking hours upon hours is ridiculous as well. I tihnk I may have found a contributing problem though: I had installed VIA's IDE miniport driver to see how it performs. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the filter driver included with the latest 4-in-1's and it seemed to make a big difference. For example, while running a bad sector scan on the new drive, I was able to load a program from a drive on the same IDE channel within seconds, when it took a minute or two with the miniport driver installed.

Reply 10 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, it doesn't show a percentage until it gets to 1 or 2 percent complete. After running it for a couple hours last night it still wasn't showing a percentage.

As a result, I didn't believe you when I read your post, so I started a new format and took a screenshot just now (attached). I noticed a minute later that it had actually started showing one though. It's currently cooking along at 13% complete after around 5 minutes.

Attachments

• Filename
    diskmgmt.PNG
    File size
    56.53 KiB
    Downloads
    104 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception