VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does this board even support it? I want to be able to monitor fan speeds and, more importantly, temperatures, but I can't even get PSU voltage readouts.

Can anyone assist? I have a feeling the board doesn't support it as the BIOS doesn't even include a PC Health tab, but I'm being hopeful.

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 1 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this board even support it? I want to be able to monitor fan speeds and, more importantly, temperatures, but I can't even get PSU voltage readouts.

It should do, I think. It's tough to find good specs for Aopen's older boards but hardware monitoring was a thing by this point. I have an Aopen MX6B-EZ and it can monitor voltages and temperatures. I don't recall seeing working fan speeds though.

I don't have my little Micro ATX system with the board all plugged in right now, but I got the utility from here: ftp://ftp.aopen.ru/pub/utility/hwmon/
From what I recall, the 'last' hardware monitor utility from around 2000 was able to read information from it "hwmon233.exe"

There are some clues here btw, the GL518 hardware monitor Aopen used was a rare one so only their utility supports it: https://www.anandtech.com/show/334/3

Reply 2 of 2, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-06-05, 18:14:
It should do, I think. It's tough to find good specs for Aopen's older boards but hardware monitoring was a thing by this point. […]
Show full quote

It should do, I think. It's tough to find good specs for Aopen's older boards but hardware monitoring was a thing by this point. I have an Aopen MX6B-EZ and it can monitor voltages and temperatures. I don't recall seeing working fan speeds though.

I don't have my little Micro ATX system with the board all plugged in right now, but I got the utility from here: ftp://ftp.aopen.ru/pub/utility/hwmon/
From what I recall, the 'last' hardware monitor utility from around 2000 was able to read information from it "hwmon233.exe"

There are some clues here btw, the GL518 hardware monitor Aopen used was a rare one so only their utility supports it: https://www.anandtech.com/show/334/3

Aaaah that's awesome, thank you 😀

CPU fan speed and PSU voltages seem to be about as accurate as can be expected for the 90s, but temperature is waaaaaaay off.

With 18'c ambient, it's reporting a CPU temp of 24'c with a Pentium II 400 at 516 MHz and a 0.1v overvolt. I don't see that being even remotely possible /shrug

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050