Rank
l33t++

what's the best mouse?

Reply 4 of 77, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the old 5-button intellimouses where button presses register multiple times? This has been my standard mouse for nearly 20 years and I have 7 of them, however they have all begun to malfunction the same way. It gave me a scare because I thought it was Parkinsons, until I tried other mice and found they were OK. Other Microsoft mice of similar vintage aren't affected, just these.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 77, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mechanical buttons start to stop clicking or double/triple click with time
mechanical scroll -> same shit
Razer -> all above plus it is heavy so hard to start to move it precisely as you have to apply strong force to fight the friction and the mouse moves further than you wish
Razer -> hard to click the scroll. There are worse though...
Razer Mamba -> Death Adder has way more ergonomic side buttons
Mickey Mouse -> it's black. Black is the worst.

Reply 6 of 77, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're running Windows 98, then you should be able to use any modern USB mouse, no drivers required.

For DOS, it's best to stick to PS2. Any DOS USB drivers that I tried so far have not worked for me.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 77, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-06-10, 08:53:

Anything PS/2 but optical and a scroll wheel. That's a peak retro mouse.

This is what I use in my 1997 AT Socket 7 MMX-200 Win9x/DOS6.22 Dual Boot "Lightning" PC. It's HP branded, and it's a real life saver.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 77, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Best mouse for what era system and for what purpose?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 77, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2020-06-10, 17:58:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-10, 15:25:

Best mouse for what era system and for what purpose?

best mouse ever!

Logitech G9
Corsair M65 Pro RGB - got this when it went on sale to replace my G9 after the rubber grip finally started to break down. Liked it so much that I purchased a second one.
Logitech MX Master 3 - I use this one for work. Got it when my original MX Master thumb wheel rubber turned to goo. This one has an all-metal scroll wheel and better internals.

There isn't a "best mouse ever".... It depends on your usage scenarios and personal preference for weight and shape, etc.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 77, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intelli Mouse Explorer V1.5

Microsoft_IntelliMouse_2001.jpg

I had this mouse in active use for 16 years... and still use it on my retro PC today 😀
it got new feet and a replacement cable once in it's lifetime, still going strong (it looks gross by now though ^^)

Reply 16 of 77, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-06-10, 09:53:

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the old 5-button intellimouses where button presses register multiple times?

This seems to happen to all mice eventually (the springs in the microswitches wear out) but especially prevalent in late model Logitechs. Fortunately microswitches are pretty standard and you can transplant them from any cheap mice instead of spending a small fortune for a complete replacement.

Reply 17 of 77, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

spend a small fortune? I just bought a bunch of omron switches some time ago ^^ they're really not expensive.
replaced the 3 main switches on my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 because they started double clicking.

my old Explorer V1.5 has no Issues with this, probably due to less fast button polling or something like that.

Reply 18 of 77, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-06-11, 01:10:

spend a small fortune? I just bought a bunch of omron switches some time ago ^^ they're really not expensive.
replaced the 3 main switches on my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 because they started double clicking.

my old Explorer V1.5 has no Issues with this, probably due to less fast button polling or something like that.

The Logitech M570 is a prime example of a Logitech mouse (trackball, actually) with switch issues . The story goes that Logitech changed the model for the switches for the M570 to different ones from previous mice (or maybe a different Omron factory, not sure ). The result were not great. My mother and I both got M570s at around the same time, when they had just come out and both of us had double-click/no click issues . The kicker is that I had hardly used mine (as in batteries inside bu used maybe once every 3 or 4 months for a few minutes), but I actually started having issues before my mother, who uses hers daily . We have since replaced them for new M570s with the new "Logi" logo (a year or two ago) with no issues so far . I have heard rumours that Logitech changed something in their supply chain to address the issue, but I have no proof .

EDIT: My two Logitech TrackMan Marble variants are still going strong and get much more use than my M570 ever did .