VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a little project and like to hear your opinions.

Is there any interest in a clock program that looks like the classic LCARS interfaces that predate the TNG series ?
- It will be comparable to LCARS24, just a tad bit simpler. 😉

As for the platform. That will be DOS, too. I thought about supporting old VGA cards and monitors.
Say VGA in 640x480 or 640x400. And maybe M24 mode in 640x400 in monochrome, too.

At some point in the process, I *may* also add support for gameport (for external events;
say pressing a button will display an alarm screen) and Covox Speech Thing.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas and sharing your opinions. ^^

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone ?

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-14, 11:33:

Anyone ?

I shared this to one of my IRL friends, but I don't think he has a account here to really say anything about this.

I personally wouldn't mind something like this, especially if it's a tightly written assembly program... haha.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-06-14, 12:12:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-14, 11:33:

Anyone ?

I shared this to one of my IRL friends, but I don't think he has a account here to really say anything about this.

I personally wouldn't mind something like this, especially if it's a tightly written assembly program... haha.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I almost gave up on this idea, since nothing happend!
(I know this rather is a Hitchhiker fan site, but come on, a few trekkies/trekker must be around still! 😉 )

As for assembly.. Maybe.

Anyway, the modern LCARS interfaces are pretty popular among nerds and tinkerers.
Just recently, an LCARS inspired and ESP32-based weather station was mentioned at hackaday.com:
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/14/mini-computer … t-to-your-desk/

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone,
Hello DracoNihil,

Here's a quick little update for you..
The basic code for the clock program is finished so far.

It uses plain VGA in mode 12h, but should also run on XT class hardware.
Perhaps even on such with EGA hardware, if has a Super EGA type with 12h support.

- I've attached a little GIF animation for you, hope that's okay.

Edit: If there's any interest in the actual program for testing purposes (little function, clock still missing), please tell. :)
I'll then send you a PM. For several reasons, I don't plan to post (attach) the program here at Vogons (thanks for your understanding).

Attachments

• tclock_prev.gif
    Filename
    tclock_prev.gif
    File size
    779 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any actual retro systems anymore to test this with, but do keep up the good work nonetheless.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't see the thread til now. Not that the .gif is very legible, but it does look pretty cool!

I'm curious though which classic LCARS interfaces predate the TNG series? Didn't the LCARS thing start with TNG?
[Edit] okay, saw the TOS stuff in your first link now, but I hadn't realized it was "LCARS" proper 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 8 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-16, 09:47:

I love this! I don't know if I have anything to run this, but I know I would love to have it 🤣

VileR wrote on 2020-08-16, 15:36:

Didn't see the thread til now. Not that the .gif is very legible, but it does look pretty cool!

I'm curious though which classic LCARS interfaces predate the TNG series? Didn't the LCARS thing start with TNG?
[Edit] okay, saw the TOS stuff in your first link now, but I hadn't realized it was "LCARS" proper 😉

Thank you very much for your mental support, guys! 😎
I'm still occasionally working on the clock in my free time, which is at night, mostly. 😁
The last few days (weeks) during day time are really hot in my place..

VileR wrote on 2020-08-16, 15:36:

Yes, you're right, I think. The LCARS was introduced in TNG by the Okudas, I think.
But some Trek sites also consider the computer panels of the previous generation as "LCARS".
These are the panels in green/blue, which also show lower case letters sometimes..

In the older movies and whenever an old ship is shown, the ships have these old panels usually.
For example: Enterprise bridge in ST:V (link), Stargazer bridge in "The Battle" (link)
or Chakotay's ship ("Val Jean") in VOY (link) or the Hathaway (link)..

By contrast, TNG's LCARS is all upper-case, if memory serves.
Kind of reminds me of that one Episode of Futurama, in which Bender says to Fry that lower cases don't exist.
Also, there's TCARS still, a future version of LCARS.. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/TCARS

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, just wanted to let you know that this project isn't dead, just delayed.
I'll likely continue working on it somehen this year.
In fact, I'm playing with other TOS/TNG ideas right now, too! ^^

The application seen below is intended to display images sent by high-altitude ballons, for example.
I think this looks quite cool and a bit similar to a scene in "blink of an eye" (voy) in
which an class 5 orbital probe sends picture data.

Attachments

• lcars_sstv_rx.jpg
    Filename
    lcars_sstv_rx.jpg
    File size
    23.93 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SSTV viewer in TNG LCARS style
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//