VOGONS

Common searches

Eco-warriors to the rescue!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 84, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’s really funny that so many people are willing to believe science when it comes to the latest medical technologies or making computers faster every year, but when it comes to climate science, it’s suddenly all bullshit.

The difference, of course, is that the climate change requires us all to give up some of our everyday comforts, and being selfish assholes, we’d rather burn the planet to the ground than change our lifestyles 😉

Reply 21 of 84, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The proper term for it is "cognitive dissonance".

I've long since gave up trying to educate people that have drank the coolaide. (so to speak) You cannot logic someone out of a problem/mindset they didn't logic themselves into.

All my effort now goes to making sure my family and I survive the next decade.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22 of 84, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2020-06-19, 02:43:

math and science don't care about your "feelings" or your "beliefs".

If only. Try telling that to those who now measure the number of genders in astrophysical units, or to those who found works like The Bell Curve "offensive", and see how quick you get something far worse than a cactus up your nether regions. 😁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 24 of 84, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The good news, of course, is that once we’re gone, the nature will quickly find a new equilibrium and heal itself. It always does.

And even if we somehow manage to fuck up the planet completely, the Earth is just a tiny rock in the vast space full of trillions of trillions of stars, so its demise would ultimately change nothing from the Universe’s point of view.

Reply 25 of 84, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do find it amusing how we (the western hemisphere) love to blame places like China and India for things like unemployment and pollution.
As most of that is to service the western world, either western companies taking advantage of cheap labor or producing products for the west as we no longer want heavily polluting industry in our own countries.

Ultimately though humans are self indulgent and lazy. Only way to succeed is to make eco living convenient.
I'll drop my drink bottle in the shopping mall recycle bin if provided, otherwise it's going in the general waste. I'm not carting it around with me all day.
Electric cars are becoming more particle with more charging points. I can charge my car while at work or shopping? sign me up! I have to make a special trip somewhere? No thanks.
You can't tell me the recent popularity of electric cars in London isn't due to a number of government schemes, Money drove those sales not desire to save the earth, and thats fine.

Reply 26 of 84, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there's pollution and there's pollution. I've been to both China and India and while the skies above large Chinese cities looks orange-yellow, the cities itself are clean and cozy. India literally looks like a dumpster, there's waste scattered everywhere. They just don't care about their surroundings at all.

Reply 28 of 84, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Climate of the Earth is not a constant and it always changes. It has nothing to do with human CO2 output. Pollution is bad but it's another matter as CO2 is not a pollutant.

Just one question. How much CO2 should be (PPM) or what the average temperature of the Earth should be?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 29 of 84, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the only thing that always baffles me in these discussions is that "ordinary people" seem to be way smarter than all the scientists combined.
idk, maybe there's just something coincidental about this... or maybe it has something to do with humans... idk I'm not a scientist :p maybe I'm just too stupid to read graphs.

I know it can hurt to not be the smartest person in the room, but sometimes it can make sense to listen to other people, like a lot of people in this forum know a lot more about computers than I do, and I've said dumb things before, so I like to listen to them 😀

1024px-Carbon_Dioxide_800kyr.svg.png

Reply 30 of 84, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-06-19, 13:58:

like a lot of people in this forum know a lot more about computers than I do

And a some of people in this forum also parrot 'facts' on computer hardware that they haven't verified themselves or are actually completely untrue but seem to have somehow become common knowledge.
Not picking sides with this comment, just something I've noticed on a lot of forums whether it's on computers, motorcycles, etc.

Reply 33 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
austinham wrote on 2020-06-19, 14:18:

Funny thing is, were I'm at its been way colder then it ever has. Yet folks still try to blame the cold on gobble worming.

Again, science, but don't let that disturb your feelings...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 35 of 84, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
austinham wrote on 2020-06-19, 14:18:

Funny thing is, were I'm at its been way colder then it ever has. Yet folks still try to blame the cold on gobble worming.

A disrupted equilibrium (which is what global warming is, at its heart) will increase the occurrence of extreme events. So while some spots get way warmer weather than they used to, some others end up with generally colder weather.

The problem is that the spots that end up with warmer weather are in the majority. The other problem is that that has consequences beyond "Oh, nice, some warm weather" (like they like to say in my country 🙄 ): boundaries that limited nasty organisms' spread to the warmer regions of earth move towards formerly colder regions. So for example disease-spreading animals will show up much more to the North in Europe in a fairly near future, leading to mass-epidemics of viruses Northern European populations normally do not get exposed to unless they travel to tropical countries.

@Carrera: Like West Nile virus? Don't worry, soon merely a visit to a country like France will increase your risk of getting it.

Reply 36 of 84, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I live in Ireland which is known for its wet climate, and we just had 3 months of fucking drought. And it's the third year in a row. When the first month-long drought hit in 2018, it was the worst drought in the history of the country - we had less rainfall in a month than Ireland usually experiences in a day. This year it was even worse because it lasted 3 months.

I am originally from Russia, and when I was a kid, we had 2-3 weeks of very cold weather (colder than -25 degrees centigrade) every winter. -15 was the normal winter temperature. Nowadays my native city rarely gets snow and the temperature usually hovers above 0. This is absolutely nuts.

Reply 37 of 84, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the Sun. Sun controls the Earths climate. Also note that the Earth is not a closed system and everything is connected...

What goes on with the weather nowadays is because of Earth's weakening magnetic field as the Sun is going slowly to it's grand minimum. With weak magnetic field the jet stream gets wobbly and you get high temperatures where should be low (Arctic) and low where they should be higher. With the weak Sun you also get more stronger earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

More about this and lots of other interesting topics at Suspicious0bservers:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers/videos

I recommend this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEWoPzaDmOA

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 38 of 84, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah I'd like to remind people the topic now is Climate Change and not Globle Warming. Has be for a while now so do keep up until the next name change..

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉