VOGONS

Common searches

Eco-warriors to the rescue!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 84, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tannerstevo wrote on 2020-06-22, 17:47:
austinham wrote on 2020-06-22, 17:43:
dr_st wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:20:

I think that in the case of incandescent light bulbs, we are already at the point where it is OK to ban them. There are already viable and long-lasting LED bulbs at all kinds of light spectra, so it really is hard to justify this old technology.

heat lamp, sun lamp and lava lamps?

Also, try using an LED bulb in an oven.

I forgot that one. We should not ban incandescent across the board as LEDs can't be used everywhere.

Reply 81 of 84, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tannerstevo wrote on 2020-06-22, 17:47:
austinham wrote on 2020-06-22, 17:43:
dr_st wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:20:

I think that in the case of incandescent light bulbs, we are already at the point where it is OK to ban them. There are already viable and long-lasting LED bulbs at all kinds of light spectra, so it really is hard to justify this old technology.

heat lamp, sun lamp and lava lamps?

Also, try using an LED bulb in an oven.

These are special use case scenarios .

There are parallels to be made with vacuum tube technology. CRT monitors may no longer be a thing, but tubes for specialized uses continue to be manufactured (like for x-ray machines, geiger counters, photmultipliers, tube amplifiers, etc) .

Banning outright, even if for specific applications, probably is not necessary, IMHO . The transition from old tech is a naturally occuring one, once replacement tech reaches price parity and critical mass (incentives while getting there can be a good thing).

Reply 82 of 84, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-06-22, 18:00:

Banning outright, even if for specific applications, probably is not necessary, IMHO . The transition from old tech is a naturally occuring one, once replacement tech reaches price parity and critical mass (incentives while getting there can be a good thing).

This is the whole point. These things happen naturally anyway. People moved from CRTs to LCDs without any bureaucrats having to give the signal or force the issue. And so on with every technology. Shouldn't it be OK if a few grumpy retrogrades such as myself, who comprise maybe 0.1% of the population, would rather use the old thing instead?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 83 of 84, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-06-22, 18:13:

This is the whole point. These things happen naturally anyway. People moved from CRTs to LCDs without any bureaucrats having to give the signal or force the issue. And so on with every technology. Shouldn't it be OK if a few grumpy retrogrades such as myself, who comprise maybe 0.1% of the population, would rather use the old thing instead?

Yea but when you flaunt your choice to "stick it to the lib-tards" it undermines any credibility you have. (i'm not quoting you literally here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6BYzLIqKB8

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 84 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And with these closing words we are closing this topic. Enough trolling and name calling done!
Thanks for participating to those that managed without this!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper