VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Marbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 486 to sell. As enthusiasts would it be more interest to you as it stands or would you prefer it restored?

Should I add a graphics card?

Would you prefer a clean install of windows or prefer to have a look through the old stuff on the hard drive before doing it?

Reply 1 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marbo wrote on 2020-07-10, 21:46:

I have a 486 to sell. As enthusiasts would it be more interest to you as it stands or would you prefer it restored?

Would you prefer a clean install of windows or prefer to have a look through the old stuff on the hard drive before doing it?

If the point is making the most money, parting it out is likely best .

If the point is selling quickly, a complete, working machine is likely best .

I personally would not trust any pre-installed OS . If there are any useful drivers on the machine that are not already archived, they should be backed up and uploaded. Selling a machine while including any OS for which a license was not both legally obtained and transferred along with the said computer is a bad idea, IMHO .

Reply 2 of 7, by Marbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-10, 22:49:
If the point is making the most money, parting it out is likely best . […]
Show full quote
Marbo wrote on 2020-07-10, 21:46:

If the point is making the most money, parting it out is likely best .

If the point is selling quickly, a complete, working machine is likely best .

I personally would not trust any pre-installed OS . If there are any useful drivers on the machine that are not already archived, they should be backed up and uploaded. Selling a machine while including any OS for which a license was not both legally obtained and transferred along with the said computer is a bad idea, IMHO .

I bought 2 as a package from the original owner. He was happy to let them go with all contents of the hdd. Thee is no personal data on there, they were used to teach autocad. I thought it might be interesting for the next owner to do some digital archeology before a clean install.

I don't want to part it out. It's more wondering if it would create more interest for people who might want a project. As far as I see most people interested in retro computers like to put their own stamp on them rather than buy the finished article.

I'm not looking to make the most amount of money out of it. I'd be happy to cover the cost of both machines which I got a great deal on.

Reply 3 of 7, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always do a fresh OS install pretty quickly. If there's an old install to dig around in, that's always fun for five minutes before I replace it. Darry makes a great point about checking for anything that might need to be archived.

Reply 4 of 7, by Marbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-07-10, 23:28:

I always do a fresh OS install pretty quickly. If there's an old install to dig around in, that's always fun for five minutes before I replace it. Darry makes a great point about checking for anything that might need to be archived.

Not sure there is going to be any of interest to archive. They have windows 95 and autocad 97 installed and that's it apart from some autocad files the students had been working on.

So just a basic clean and a few photos of widows to show it working and the specs. Then wipe the disk ready for a new owner to install whatever os they like?

Reply 5 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marbo wrote on 2020-07-11, 01:02:

So just a basic clean and a few photos of widows to show it working and the specs. Then wipe the disk ready for a new owner to install whatever os they like?

Probably the simplest and most legal option .

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd prefer as is, as Pierre32 said it's nice to get glimpse of it's past life. Seeing what it was used for, Checking file dates to see when it was last used. Kind of think LGR does with his old PC's

but also depends on who your targeting the system at.
If your targeting newbie's having a pre configured system all ready to go with a fresh install of windows would be a good selling point. I'd say these are the guys more likely to buy a complete system as well
Sound and graphics don't have to be amazing they can always upgrade to something of their taste further down the track.
Can even include a few pre installed games that have gone freeware,
OLD NOT NEW List of Free Games

People with bit more knowledge are more likely to buy parts individually but can see a motherboard and case still been desirable.
If aiming your add wording towards them just leave as is. 1/2 the fun is upgrading, installing, etc, etc.

Reply 7 of 7, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a buyer I prefer very detailed photos of the computer. I hate when cables and parts are in the way so I can't even see what I'm buying.
I want to see the mainboard (especially the battery area), part numbers, general condition of the parts and the case from every angle.
An installed OS tells me that the computer is probably working fine. A photo of the BIOS screen is a must if it's sold as working.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    Filename
    maxresdefault.jpg
    File size
    165.21 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Yes.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • win33.jpg