VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.onmsft.com/editorial/op-ed-micros … eady-paying-off

So a long rambling article to state that MS released a few old games and released Game Pass is taking PC gamers seriously? WTF

Let's come up with a real list of things MS can do to take PC gamers seriously.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-07-11, 00:44:

I agree. Microsoft used to focus all gaming activities on XBox, but now days both Microsoft and Sony seems to warm up to gaming on PC.

Even if I like consoles (I have several XBoxes and several Switches), my favorite gaming is on PC. I like the new attention that both MS and Sony gives to the PC platform (even if they maybe will still prioritize their respective consoles).

I have Game Pass on Xbox today, and is a really great service! I also own some games that I (without extra cost) can play on both PC and XB - love that. ❤

If they can get Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to be as good on PC as on XB, I could very well think about signing up for that.

Reply 3 of 5, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-07-11, 00:44:

Let's come up with a real list of things MS can do to take PC gamers seriously.

Custom made Xbox hardware must die and Xbox brand needs to become just an online business and a controller friendly interface you can install on Windows computers. Makes no sense to have two platforms and complicate things for both Microsoft and developers.

They should have done this back in early 2000s. But instead they tried to kill PC gaming with their console, forever dumbed-down the FPS genre by forcing it on controllers where it has no place, and they either stopped publishing or shut down their PC focused developers. PC gaming lost years of progress thanks to Microsoft. If you played stuff like FEAR in 2005, you can see how AI and physics development simply stopped for years. Or how long it took for games to catch up to Crysis since nobody really pushed the boundaries on PC anymore, because developers were sucking up to MS and Sony.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 4 of 5, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like to play games on modern high spec PC, on stationary consoles, portable consoles, portable PC, mobile phone, old retro PC, tablet/ipad, and sometimes even my Apple Watch.

No category replaces (or needs to kill) the other.

I drive Tesla most normal days, but that does not mean that I can not enjoy driving our high power ICE Mercedes, or my friends Porches.

Different things have simply different practical use cases/benefits, and different charm/character.

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
antrad wrote on 2020-07-13, 00:32:

They should have done this back in early 2000s. But instead they tried to kill PC gaming with their console

and

antrad wrote on 2020-07-13, 00:32:

... because developers were sucking up to MS and Sony.

I'd say Sony was who they were trying to kill.
PC Game market is mature enough to look after itself and MS still get their cut in the profits with the OS side of things.
What they didn't get is any profits from console gaming, Enter the XBOX. Made sense to move any "in house" game development over to their new console to make it increase it's game catalog .

Never been much of a console man but get the appeal to gamers that don't want to have to worry about hardware side of things.

Would be interesting if MS didn't get into console's in 2003. Would Windows gaming got so much better that the likes of Sony had to up their game? (problem for all consoles is they are limited to the hardware)
I do think the games industry would have sooner or later gone with what we have now, same game ported across different hardware with little difference between them. Makes so much more sense from the financial side.

Newest game I own is from 2013, came on DVD and runs on WinXP. Not sure I'm qualified to make a wish list for Win10 gaming 😉