Common searches

Technological critique

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 164, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-05-16, 13:54:

I feel the same. And what's even more irrational is that most of these "web apps" look worse than simple HTML pages.
I find it funny, not to say confusing, that all those modern and minimalistic sites look almost like a blank HTML site,
but require several megabytes (almost) worth of scripted code. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, the absolute absurdity of it all! The 'modern' web is broken, defective, a hideous and bloated mess.
99% of what needs to be done *could* still be done with simple HTML, but we need ridiculous scripting languages which consume absurd amounts of system resources, are inefficient, and unnecessary.

All because modern webdesigners are lazy, kids who can't be bothered to optimize code / write HTML, and only after making a quick buck, and releasing a commercial 'product' / job. Onto the next lucrative web page, no need or time to optimize or even consider "Web 1.0" anymore.

The internet used to work fairly well when Javascript was disabled in one's brower. And it was literally about 10x as fast, consuming 100x less CPU power. Now, it is unuseable without Javascript turned on. And that's a sad, ridiculous testament to bloat, carelessness, and wasted resources in today's web and so-called 'modern' browsers. Rubbish!

Reply 162 of 164, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not a web designer but I suppose the webpages situation is even worse when I think about the browsers requirement of OpenGL 2.0 even for the basic pages and if there's not a compatible GPU it has to use a OpenGL software renderer along with the "almost native" D3D to GL to GLES whatever wrapper. This is another complexity which I really don't understand when above the mentioned javascript complexity, which result in a incredibly bad reading experience beside having "high end" compatible configs even to read a page with only text on it.
I understand there might be situation where WebGL is needed for example for video conferences I suppose to make video decoding/encoding standard using the GPU acceleration in that way but page rendering is mostly so heavy that I always would need to stop it before the end because it'd take many useless more seconds of CPU/GPU watts for whatever background page logics. The early HTML pages would feel like a user experience progress nowdays.

Reply 163 of 164, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-17, 01:53:

Most of the formally-trained and skilful web designers end up as employees of corporations. They then spend their lives doing and creating what the corp tells them to.

"Business" is scum.

I am one of these web designers. Now I work for an educational corp as an UI/UX Designer.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 164 of 164, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2022-05-17, 15:16:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-17, 01:53:

Most of the formally-trained and skilful web designers end up as employees of corporations. They then spend their lives doing and creating what the corp tells them to.

"Business" is scum.

I am one of these web designers. Now I work for an educational corp as an UI/UX Designer.

Good for you! Enjoy that.