VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks. I recently finished downloading sp2, but i've got second thoughts about installing it. Is it buggy or something?? Thanks...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 1 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No more buggy than any other piece of Microsoft software. But, if you have spyware on your computer, you may have severe problems.
A range of problems I have seen when people attempt to install Service Pack 2 on a spyware-infected or virii'd system:

* Bluescreen on reboot
* Missing files errors on reboot
* Welcome screen with no usernames (just the XP logo)
* Windows activation errors when trying to login
* Internet connection stops working completely
* CD drives stop working (no shit)

Windows XP Service Pack 2 statistics at my job (after cleaning spyware which EVERYONE FUCKING HAS) are something like 2000 fully successful, 50 recoverable failure, 5 total failure. (Total failures were post-install unrecoverable systems, and does not include SP2 installs which refused to even begin.)

But as I said, if your system is clean you should have no problems.

Last edited by Snover on 2004-12-28, 02:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 13, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, my files are all clear here, but i you just made me realise that i should wait a lil' more... heheh I'm not doing it so soon... Anyways, thanks a lot Snover.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 3 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have good firewall software and are using not Internet Explorer, you should be fine without installing it. I myself am not installing it because I do not wish to fuck about with the stupid TCP/IP stack which they limited to 5 opening connections.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One other thing to be aware of -- if you use ZoneAlarm, be sure you have version 5. If you install SP2 with version 4, your system will go through a continuous cycle of spontaneous reboots. Uninstall ZoneAlarm 4 BEFORE you install SP2.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have also installed SP2 from scratch and didn't have any problems either. 😎

PS - Using any flavour of Windows Operating Systems and being outdated, seems like a very risky thing to me. If you use Windows, please keep it updated, at least at critical patches level.

Reply 8 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My roommates and I have had no problems with SP2, but we keep our computers squeaky clean with virus and spyware scanners, Windows Update fixes, latest drivers, etc.

Some people I know that were using weird beta stuff and spyware-infested systems had a lot of problems and either backed out of SP2 or are now living with broken half-installs. I keep telling them they should reinstall Windows from scratch.

I also had a friend whose computer we wiped clean and reinstalled, and every time we installed either SP2 or a new video driver, it would go into an infinite reboot loop. I have NO idea what was happening there!

Reply 9 of 13, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you keep your own computer up to date, I'd advise disabling the Sercurity Center service. It's just fucking annoying. "Symantec Corporate Anti-virus 9 status is unknown. Please buy some new anti-virus software that you must pay for the priviledge of downloading updates every year"

Not bloodly likely...

Reply 10 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

I also had a friend whose computer we wiped clean and reinstalled, and every time we installed either SP2 or a new video driver, it would go into an infinite reboot loop. I have NO idea what was happening there!

Yay bad RAM!

Yes, it’s my fault.