things you don't do with a retro PC

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-08-13, 21:41:
A Retro computer should be looked at like an Arcade machine. It is for playing old DOS games and listening to music on old Sound […]
Show full quote

A Retro computer should be looked at like an Arcade machine.
It is for playing old DOS games and listening to music on old Sound cards.

It’s just a piece of Nostalgia.

You should NOT use it like an everyday computer to store your critical data on or surf the internet.

Oops. 😅

Anything else besides games on your retro PC? How old are You?

😇

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 24, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Akuma wrote on 2020-08-13, 10:15:

things you don't do with a retro PC?
this for starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8 🤣

ouch!

on a somewhat related note, I am still amazed there are so many PCs and associated peripherals from the 80's and 90's - so much that one can still see them lined up in recycle centres awaiting destruction

and there there is 'old new stock' from 30+ years ago still here and there - did people and companies really buy a new XT and then accidently store it for decades? it is amazing to see though

Reply 24 of 24, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-08-13, 21:41:
A Retro computer should be looked at like an Arcade machine. It is for playing old DOS games and listening to music on old Sound […]
Show full quote

A Retro computer should be looked at like an Arcade machine.
It is for playing old DOS games and listening to music on old Sound cards.

It’s just a piece of Nostalgia.

You should NOT use it like an everyday computer to store your critical data on or surf the internet.

I'd agree that one shouldn't use a retro PC to store critical data (or a modern one, backups needed regardless), nor is it useful for surfing

but I wouldn't say that a retro computer should be looked at like an arcade machine. It's a general purpose computer than happens to be old, there isn't a point in time where it suddenly needs to be restricted to exclusively games and nostalgic purposes. it's an interesting idea, that old computers slowly 'lose' most of the roles given to them over time