VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the 8'th season, episode 20 "Leaving home ain't easy", they kind of did a big mistake. Timeline wise. 14 minutes and 35 seconds in, I spot a Commodore64 with the grey function keys. Now. The episode should take place in 1979, some time close to new years eve. The model of the C64 used, were not avaliable in the stores before some time in the last half of 1983.

Basically.... WTF? Am I really that "damaged" from this hobby? 🤣 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blatant computer anachronisms in sitcoms feel intentional most of the time i've noticed (but only of those from the throwback genres)

that said, certain ABC (american) sitcoms should be loved here 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 11, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't call it 'Sloppy' but there's only so much time and research time available for shows. Especially for a sitcom.

I'm a VFX artist and I worked on a historical drama series set in the 1970s. In one scene with the calendar clearly saying 1979 on the wall, the actor's Apple II computer has an Apple III monitor. Also in an earlier episode the 'Coca-Cola' graphics seen on disposable cups was the early 1980's logo. IMO, this is not big problem at all, it's TV, it's there to entertain. If you spot a few anachronisms then that's just a fun trivia opportunity for you.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-20, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-08-20, 02:40:

I wouldn't call it 'Sloppy' but there's only so much time and research time available for shows. Especially for a sitcom.

I'm a VFX artist and I worked on a historical drama series set in the 1970s. In one scene with the calendar clearly saying 1979 on the wall, the actor's Apple II computer has an Apple III monitor. Also in an earlier episode the 'Coca-Cola' graphics seen on disposable cups was the early 1980's logo. IMO, this is not big problem at all, it's TV, it's there to entertain. If you spot a few anachronisms then that's just a fun trivia opportunity for you.

'Sloppy' might be too strong in some cases. I understand that compromises need to made due to time and budget constraints and that nothing will ever be 100% perfect in any case . Being a couple of years off may be acceptable in some cases . That said, IMHO, the closer the props used are to the actual action or plot, the more care should be taken in avoiding anachronisms .

For example, seeing parts of an IMAC in the background in a scene taking place before 1998ish might not be a big deal (nothing more than a nitpick), but having a character actually using an IMAC on-screen during the same time-frame would be significantly more cringe-worthy, IMHO .

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-20, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-20, 03:07:

'Sloppy' might be too strong in some cases. I understand that compromises need to made due to time and budget constraints and that nothing will ever be 100% perfect in any case . Being a couple of years off may be acceptable in some cases . That said, IMHO, the closer the props used are to the actual action or plot, the more care should be taken in avoiding anachronisms .

For example, seeing parts of an IMAC in the background in a scene taking place before 1998ish might not be a big deal (nothing more than a nitpick), but having a character actually using an IMAC on-screen during the same time-frame would be significantly more cringe-worthy, IMHO .

Things like this is why I think shows like The Goldbergs instead takes place in what is literally called 'Ninteen-Eighty-Something' by the narrator. Even if you see events or cultural references happen out of order the show openly acknowledges that it's trying to just be 'In The 80's and not follow a fixed chronology.

Reply 6 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's worse in Schooled. In some episodes it's an obnoxious mix of very early pre-SmellsLikeTeenSpirit 90s and the very end of the 90s (more borderlining on 2001).

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-20, 22:04. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about the "MiG-28" in Topgun?
It had a staring role and is an American built F-5 so not even foreign let alone soviet!

If it was a documentary then yeh they need to do their fact checking better
But light entertainment, I think you have to cut them some slack, as long as it gives off the correct feel then it's fine.
It is fun to spot theses things though 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The C64 was introduced and manufactured in 1982, but a closer and not so anachronistic thing would be. In that tvshow, they would have used a VIC20, cause that came out in 1980. But oh well, there are things that are worse, and things that are better 😀 And okay, let me a bit more 70s like, even though I was not born there. They could have used an Apple II, a Commodore PET or a TRS80 computer instead. That would have hit the spot correctly.

Reply 9 of 11, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember seeing a movie not long ago (I forget which one...) that was playing in a newspaper in the early 80s iirc... and everyone had the old small macs and I thought to myself "huh they seem to have done this pretty accurately" though I guess most newspapers still used typewriters in that time? ^^ ...and then they went down to the art department or something and while there were mostly big CRTs the back of one beige TFT screen boldly stood out and I was like... "yeah nope, that didn't exist back then"

Reply 10 of 11, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a TV show, but anyone ever played Shenmue? Ryo Hazuki, the protagonist had a SEGA Saturn under his TV, a console released in 1994 in Japan, but the story takes place in 1986. He must have impressed all of his friends with arcade ports, I wonder why he ever bothered to go to that arcade in Dobuita! 😁