VOGONS

Common searches

Is anyone excited for Big Navi?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 240 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yikes. Not good. I prefer low power, more power efficient stuff. They don’t have something with less power or more efficient?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 241 of 264, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-20, 04:14:

Yikes. Not good. I prefer low power, more power efficient stuff. They don’t have something with less power or more efficient?

They're quite literally only showing the high end for now. You're going to have to wait for a while to find anything close to what you want.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 242 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-11-19, 14:28:

That is a sexy card! Looks like the front grill of an 80s car when installed 😁

I've just seen this and I think it looks like an early 70s Plymouth...

lxAQN3B.jpg

I do sometimes wonder what sort of graphics performance we could have achieved in the early 2000s if we had allowed ourselves 250 watts to play with....

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 243 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2020-11-20, 08:22:

They're quite literally only showing the high end for now. You're going to have to wait for a while to find anything close to what you want.

Fortunately I don’t have to wait, since I stopped buying GPUs in 2014 and I will be taking a low power, efficient M1 Mac with an outstanding graphics performance. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think they (AMD and Nvidia) are going the wrong way. They need to focus more in creating power efficient, low power GPUs with great performance. The technology to make it is there. 250W for a high end GPU is far from that.

When they make a small GPU, with low TDP and great performance, then I could say “whoa, I’m excited for that!”. Not gonna happen, unfortunately. But hey it’s just my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 244 of 264, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a 1660 for my old i7-4700, but it's more of a stopgap solution since I got it cheap (OB) and just needed something faster than onboard gfx. The plain RX 6800 looks great, faster than an RTX 3070 and cheaper. Maybe they'll be in stock next year when I build my new computer!

Reply 245 of 264, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-11-19, 13:45:
It's absolutely enormous. […]
Show full quote

It's absolutely enormous.

oML5W9Th.jpg

9WgvbfPh.jpg?1

jPAzkVrh.jpg?1
That's a Nvidia GTX645 single slot, 75watt graphics card - quite capable of playing games up to 2017 or so (on low settings). It's got to be 10% of the volume of the 6800!?

GYWXqW2h.jpg
Got a big case luckily

Nice setup! Congrats on getting one, all the vendors in the USA are all "out of stock" 24-7. Meanwhile I chug along with a 1050ti yay!
The plain 6800 is the one I want, it's power draw is within my 650w PS "supposedly"

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 246 of 264, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-20, 13:40:
Fortunately I don’t have to wait, since I stopped buying GPUs in 2014 and I will be taking a low power, efficient M1 Mac with an […]
Show full quote
BetaC wrote on 2020-11-20, 08:22:

Fortunately I don’t have to wait, since I stopped buying GPUs in 2014 and I will be taking a low power, efficient M1 Mac with an outstanding graphics performance. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think they (AMD and Nvidia) are going the wrong way. They need to focus more in creating power efficient, low power GPUs with great performance. The technology to make it is there. 250W for a high end GPU is far from that.

When they make a small GPU, with low TDP and great performance, then I could say “whoa, I’m excited for that!”. Not gonna happen, unfortunately. But hey it’s just my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You think that they are making high power usage GPUs just for giggles? If they could get the same performance out of a lower TDP card they would be all over it.

I would like to see your references for actual products that are low TDP and offer the same type of performance. Not holding my breath.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 247 of 264, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never get exicited about any new IT related stuff these days. "Innovation" can only go so far before it gets repeditive and boring..

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 248 of 264, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, right now I'm on what's probably the most impressive and worthwhile Intel GPU ever made.

I don't really care for discrete GPU's anymore, not with this thing. The Intel Iris Pro 580 does literally everything I want. And I don't even care about "modern videogaming".

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 249 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-11-21, 12:50:

Well, right now I'm on what's probably the most impressive and worthwhile Intel GPU ever made.

I don't really care for discrete GPU's anymore, not with this thing. The Intel Iris Pro 580 does literally everything I want. And I don't even care about "modern videogaming".

Welcome to the club! I like the way you think 👍🏼

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 250 of 264, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-11-21, 12:50:

Iris Xe and Ryzen 4750G are 50% faster

Reply 251 of 264, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-11-20, 09:00:
I've just seen this and I think it looks like an early 70s Plymouth... […]
Show full quote
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-11-19, 14:28:

That is a sexy card! Looks like the front grill of an 80s car when installed 😁

I've just seen this and I think it looks like an early 70s Plymouth...

lxAQN3B.jpg

I do sometimes wonder what sort of graphics performance we could have achieved in the early 2000s if we had allowed ourselves 250 watts to play with....

Haha that's a close match, it deserves to be in Cyberpunk. Speaking of which.. the card kind of reminds me of the quadra:

926?cb=20201021040209

I see the thread got pretty derailed, how's the card holding up?

RX6800 seems to buck the trend of overpriced and/or heater GPUs for me.. (if bought at close to rrp like yours). *

*EDIT I have to revise this statement seems like Big Navi prices will rise from launch rrp once AMD stop manufacturing and only AIB partner boards are left at inflated prices..
Which means they will be bad value 🙁

Reply 252 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well today in the UK was the launch of the AIB 6800s and it would seem that not one retailer had any in stock! That goes beyond paper launch!

The card is quite warm but I haven't tried under volting yet. It's quite capable at 4k running games like AC:Ody and Mafia DE at max settings 60fps. RDR2 is nearly max.

I tested Oblivion and it runs at 250+FPS and I am CPU limited. at 4k.

My 4K TV doesn't seem to agree with graphics cards (both the 1070ti and 6800XT) and will sometimes just not be detected at all, or display weird analogue looking static.

Reply 253 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-11-25, 16:07:
Well today in the UK was the launch of the AIB 6800s and it would seem that not one retailer had any in stock! That goes beyond […]
Show full quote

Well today in the UK was the launch of the AIB 6800s and it would seem that not one retailer had any in stock! That goes beyond paper launch!

The card is quite warm but I haven't tried under volting yet. It's quite capable at 4k running games like AC:Ody and Mafia DE at max settings 60fps. RDR2 is nearly max.

My 4K TV doesn't seem to agree with graphics cards (both the 1070ti and 6800XT) and will sometimes just not be detected at all, or display weird analogue looking static.

When you run the benchmark for RDR2 with absolutely everything (HDR ON), maxed out, but with no antialiasing a 4k what score do you get? No frame scaling or resolution tricks, straight 4k. Don't forget to open the advanced graphics area and max everything there too, just setting it to Ultra will not hit these settings, Ultra leaves a lot of things turned down or off.

Here's my scores, I had interrupted it and gotten bad results last time but this is a complete run:

Attachments

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2020-11-25, 18:56. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 254 of 264, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-11-25, 16:07:
Well today in the UK was the launch of the AIB 6800s and it would seem that not one retailer had any in stock! That goes beyond […]
Show full quote

Yeah I checked overclockers and reddit, blimey AMD are still cutting trees down for the paper launch!!
Such a shame they have two great product lines and no one can buy them.

Anyway thanks for testing Oblivion that's good news 😀
Maybe CRU or a Gefen EDID emulator might fix those issues.

Reply 255 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could also be my insistence on using cheap HDMI cables!

The Witcher 2 gets about 90fps and is again CPU limited to a single core. This was max settings, ubersampling disabled, 4k. The GPU usage was about 70%. The frame rate varied (depending on what was going on ok screen)

Red dead 2. everything manually set to max (the preset slider when set to max leaves some things not maxxed) except any kind of AA (fsaa tsaa msaa reflection aa). Using Vulkan and no resolution scaling (eugh). I get a minimum of 27, average of 53fps. This is without the SAMnanigans and on a 3700X with 16GB 3600RAM

Reply 256 of 264, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that would do it too, bit weird these days having to pick the 4k compliant cables. Don't have to spend too much but check some user reviews.

90fps sounds right it's an inefficient engine, seems like backwards compatibility is there to chew through bloated steam/gog libraries!

RDR2 is a gpu slayer so that's decent performance.

Your GPU is now classed as a unicorn judging by reddit 🤣

Reply 257 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-11-25, 16:31:

I'm guessing AMD is already talking about unprecedented demand for their fantastic products rather than "we needed to seem like we have a card that matches Nvidia".

I hate marketing / PR and how lying is the default for any large company communicating with their customers.

Reply 258 of 264, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-11-26, 13:12:

I'm guessing AMD is already talking about unprecedented demand for their fantastic products rather than "we needed to seem like we have a card that matches Nvidia".

I hate marketing / PR and how lying is the default for any large company communicating with their customers.

Well, at least, on the bright side, that seems to make the green team cringe on bumping up the price tag. 😎

Reply 259 of 264, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://wccftech.com/astronomic-rise-in-crypt … WCCFtech.com%29

At least there will be alot of used video cards available in a year or so that people can buy. heh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline