VOGONS

Common searches

Is anyone excited for Big Navi?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 200 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iris030380 wrote on 2020-10-22, 23:17:

Paying Nvidia the same dollar for a GPU that an entire top end gaming rig would have cost 10 years ago proves how much of a circus modern GPU pricing has become in this two horse race.

This just proves that I was not alone in this "GPU pricing circus". But 10 years ago? The best 3xxx series card will cost almost exactly what I paid for a 2018/19 Dell G5 Gaming laptop...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 201 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-10-23, 00:58:

Paying Nvidia the same dollar for a GPU that an entire top end gaming rig would have cost 10 years ago proves how much of a circus modern GPU pricing has become in this two horse race.

This just proves that I was not alone in this "GPU pricing circus". But 10 years ago? The best 3xxx series card will cost almost exactly what I paid for a 2018/19 Dell G5 Gaming laptop...

A gaming laptop is a bigger waste of money than any video card. And I thought you said you only buy old hardware?

Reply 202 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-10-23, 04:28:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-10-23, 00:58:

A gaming laptop is a bigger waste of money than any video card. And I thought you said you only buy old hardware?

I had it because I needed a laptop, not a desktop. I will never more build another bulky expensive desktop pc “just for a stupid game to run at 4K”.

I sold the G5 just four months later to get my current daily driver, the aforementioned Late 2013 13-inch rMBP. A gaming laptop IS a better investment than a stupid graphics card with the same price - the Dell G5 had nothing wrong, it was an excellent gaming laptop, it was able to run my games at maximum performance, gaming side I was satisfied, but it was too bulky to carry around and as a Hackintosh dual boot, was a painful job to do maintenance. I did it only because I needed an all in one solution at that time and the 2010 rMBP I had before went kaput (that is another long story and I wasn’t around or using it when it happened).

I needed macOS for my work so I had to sell it. I could just revert to Windows 10 single boot and keep it but I hate the system and I have a perfect workflow for macOS. So I gave up on modern gaming, simracing competitions and sold it, my work is more important and I found more fun in retro gaming. (Not to mention that it is a cheaper option).

That said, I buy modern, too. But only when the price is fair and a good deal. The NVIDIA 3xxx series cards (or any modern current gen card from any manufacturer) are not a good deal and have ridiculous prices, so no thanks but no thanks. That ship has sailed. No more desktop GPUs for me.

That G5 was an incredible deal/price offer, because I knew someone from Dell who could offer for an even better (smaller) price.

I’d buy again a gaming laptop if dual booting macOS was a long term solution, I’d buy it over a stupid graphics card always. You need to be incredibly stupid with your money to choose the expensive GPU over a complete gaming build.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 203 of 264, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To each his own, but I don't think it's rational to support a company that charges almost 1500$ for a card made for playing viDyaGaMes, and, on top of that, creates artificial demand to boost prices across its whole lineup.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 204 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-10-20, 18:14:

Here is a tested list of digital to VGA converters. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Anal … ptions_for_OSSC

I considered finding and linking to that, but then I though "retro gaming HDMI to VGA adapters are only good for low resolutions", because most people use them for that. But yeah, people have used them for higher resolutions too. So you shouldn't struggle too hard to find a good adapter and if you have a CRT you probably eventually want one of those for other reasons too.

I guess with both new consoles sporting the same day one hardware from AMD, Nvidia might have their work cut out trying to persuade developers to code and optimize for their GPU's, not to mention raytracing implementation. PC gaming market is tiny compared to console markets, developers work on a strict time scale, can they spare the man hours to help Nvidia out? How much will that cost Nvidia? I doubt the cost would be justifiable by sales of the games alone.

Ray-tracing likely is going to be pretty easy to do cross-platform implementations for. It won't need to have a lot of Nvidia specific support.

DLSS on the other hand would be a pretty good card seller if a lot of games supported it, but that does need very Nvidia specific support. Question is how much of that will get handled by middleware, or how much will be up to individual game developers.

Bruninho wrote on 2020-10-23, 12:57:

I’d buy again a gaming laptop if dual booting macOS was a long term solution, I’d buy it over a stupid graphics card always. You need to be incredibly stupid with your money to choose the expensive GPU over a complete gaming build.

Haven't we been over this? Haven't even a mod told you this? Having different priorities than you is not being stupid in any way.

subhuman@xgtx wrote on 2020-10-23, 14:44:

To each his own, but I am not supportive of companies that create artificial demand and charge almost 1500$ for a card made for playing viDyaGaMes.

The 1500$ card, despite what Nvidia claims isn't a gaming card, but a business/other hobby card.

Reply 205 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know desktops are far more economical than laptops and far more reusable, color me surprised that someone with your ideology would choose them over a desktop. But I really don't think you believe your own statements, I think you just want to win an argument, so I'm done talking to you.

Reply 206 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some leaked benchies for big navi:
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-bi … chmarks-leaked/

looks like it could be better in traditional DX11 raster than I thought. I'm curious if AMD implemented some sort of DLSS like function at a base drivers level though given how the performance increases as resolution does. Interesting stuff, we will have to see how it does in real world games!

Reply 207 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-10-23, 15:35:

You know desktops are far more economical than laptops and far more reusable, color me surprised that someone with your ideology would choose them over a desktop. But I really don't think you believe your own statements, I think you just want to win an argument, so I'm done talking to you.

FACT: I can't take a desktop with me around the globe. I travel. End period.

subhuman@xgtx wrote on 2020-10-23, 14:44:

To each his own, but I don't think it's rational to support a company that charges almost 1500$ for a card made for playing viDyaGaMes, and, on top of that, creates artificial demand to boost prices across its whole lineup.

Yes, exactly my thoughts.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 208 of 264, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need to be incredibly stupid with your money to choose the expensive GPU over a complete gaming build.

I made a post in this thread early on about how I'd step aside from getting my hands on 3000 series. Nonetheless, I'd urge you to cut yourself out of the dialogue between enthusiasts. You have no right whatsoever to call other folks "stupid" for what they like to buy. Calling other people "stupid" does not make you "Steve Jobs" ffs.

Reply 209 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brownk wrote on 2020-10-24, 14:52:

You need to be incredibly stupid with your money to choose the expensive GPU over a complete gaming build.

I made a post in this thread early on about how I'd step aside from getting my hands on 3000 series. Nonetheless, I'd urge you to cut yourself out of the dialogue between enthusiasts. You have no right whatsoever to call other folks "stupid" for what they like to buy. Calling other people "stupid" does not make you "Steve Jobs" ffs.

Aaaaand you have no right to dictate what I should do or write. Mind your own business. And I repeat and insist that someone who chooses an expensive GPU over a powerful gaming laptop if presented with both options at the same price is a stupid. Its basic economics/finances. That someone does not know the basic cost vs benefit” logic. That someone must be blind or a NVIDIA/AMD fanboy.

$1500 in a graphics card? Only if it runs the entire operating system, games, and has the same storage as my SSD... only if that card can do the same thing my computer does. Come on. You need to recognize it.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 210 of 264, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2020-10-24, 14:56:
brownk wrote on 2020-10-24, 14:52:

Aaaaand you have no right to dictate what I should do or write. Mind your own business. And I repeat and insist that someone who chooses an expensive GPU over a powerful gaming laptop if presented with both options at the same price is a stupid. Its basic economics/finances. That someone does not know the basic cost vs benefit” logic. That someone must be blind or a NVIDIA/AMD fanboy.

Human history is littered with uncountable number of incidences where an excessive amount of disturbance is dealt with seemingly sudden, unpleasant measures. I'm just trying to nudge you to be mindful so that you can avoid such consequences.

Well, if you so insist, good luck.

Reply 213 of 264, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dgVoodoo2 AMD vs Nvidia

Tom's ad farm
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon- … ing-performance
wccftech
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-rx … qhd-benchmarks/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 214 of 264, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2020-11-06, 18:11:

You still call them "ATi cards" in 2020?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 216 of 264, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2020-11-06, 18:10:

Unlocked and renamed
Play nice
No upgrade shaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mlQu83XTQ

But to be on topic, i'm going to take whatever I can get my hands on before... https://yourcountdown.to/cyberpunk-2077 (31D;18h)

yea.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 217 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am waiting for reviews, or even retailers to show the cards on their websites before I get excited.

Getting a bit bored of waiting now though.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 218 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2020-11-08, 12:13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mlQu83XTQ […]
Show full quote
DosFreak wrote on 2020-11-06, 18:10:

Unlocked and renamed
Play nice
No upgrade shaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mlQu83XTQ

But to be on topic, i'm going to take whatever I can get my hands on before... https://yourcountdown.to/cyberpunk-2077 (31D;18h)

yea.

Not sure you can get your hands on anything before then if you haven't already ordered.