Common searches

Which browser do you use?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 39, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft Edge is Chrome engine, same thing. I use Firefox with Chrome only for a backup if I run into problems on a page. I use Chrome for ancient systems as its faster than firefox.

Reply 22 of 39, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-09-20, 17:37:
Procyon wrote on 2020-09-20, 14:10:

At home I use Firefox because it has addblock and I use a nice visual theme.
At work I use Chrome and I hate it because of all the adds.

You are not aware that the same ad-blocking extensions are available for Chrome as are for Firefox?

Addblock plus had adds in YouTube when I last tried it.

Reply 23 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dillo.

Just kidding!

I use Firefox on Android and Chromium on Raspbian.
When I still had a main "PC" (x86), I used Mozilla Firefox.
Even after my whole family switched to Chrome
(I warned them about its Google heritage, but no vail, they didn't care).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 39, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Procyon wrote on 2020-09-21, 07:03:

Addblock plus had adds in YouTube when I last tried it.

Try uBlock Origin. I've switched over to it in all my browsers a few years back.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 25 of 39, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-09-18, 08:47:

My work also has that same situation, well IT boys like Chrome i guess 😁

And yes Windows 10 in our work computer have both old IE and that Edge monstrossoty.

Still holding on to my Windows 7 main home PC. But for how long can i hold on, time will tell.

nah us IT boys like less work 😉
We only started rolling out Chrome when more and more sites dropped IE compatibility
We'll keep IE for the sites that refuse to move off IE compatibility
Old Edge was part of the OS so whatever, no one used it anyway 😜

Chrome also gets the benefit of most apps state chrome in the supported browsers list. It's not uncommon it'll be the only one listed. It'll work on other browsers just no ones bothered to test.
Plus (and this is a big one) it's the one most average people use. I know if we rolled out Firefox we would have people complain "Chrome is better" based on 0 facts. Generally users of other browsers are savvy enough to do what they need in Chrome or can have Firefox or whatever installed without generation more work for the IT Dept.

Personally I use Chrome at work and Firefox at home. I hope the new Edge is a sucess though as having the browser as part of the OS just makes life sooo much easier ...see 1st point 😉

Edit
Whats uBlock Origin got over Ad block?
The amount off crappy advertising scripts makes some kind of blocker a necessity these days but always open to alternatives

Reply 26 of 39, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-09-21, 09:39:

for one it doesn't try to push ads on you ^^

I block all and every script in general, I haven used the internet without whitelisting since years and years... and I don't see any other way how to not immediately get enraged when browsing ^^

Reply 27 of 39, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Chrome, because I'm a web developer and the included inspection and debugging tools are so much better than on Firefox.

Mozilla lost me when they started to change the interface heavily and tried to include weird extension bloat like Pocket or that video conference thing no one needed...

Now that Edge Legacy and IE are finally cancelled, Safari holds the title for being the worst browser. Two down, only one to go!

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 28 of 39, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And yes Windows 10 in our work computer have both old IE and that Edge monstrossoty.

Still holding on to my Windows 7 main home PC. But for how long can i hold on, time will tell.

It's partially that simple, rolling out Firefox is work, but another reason is that Firefox has been slow in allowing the browser to be managed via group policy. There is support now, but it's relatively new and IT departments move slowly.

Reply 30 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My browsers

MacOS: Safari (Primary browser), Edge (Secondary). While Firefox, Chrome and Opera are installed just for debugging reasons at work. I do all my debugging on Safari.
PPC OS X Leopard: TenFourFox.
Ubuntu or Debian Linux: Firefox. If Microsoft does release a linux version of Edge Chromium, I'll do the change.
Windows 10: Edge (Primary), Firefox (Secondary). I do not have other browsers for the debugging reasons, but if required I'll get them... so far they weren't.
Windows XP: SeaMonkey
Windows 98: Netscape 9.0.0.6 + Roytam1's NSS patches
Windows 3.11: Internet Explorer 5.5

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 31 of 39, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to use Firefox but abandoned it for Chrome after they refused to fix the 'save images in random locations' bug/feature. I still run it as a secondary browser and am amazed that this behavior is still present. Who on earth finds this useful?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 32 of 39, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pale Moon (+ NoScript + Adblock Latitude) for general usage.
FF for the rare site that doesn't work with PM, plus the other usual suspects for web dev/testing.

Nobody here using Brave?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 33 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seamonkey, but I have to have a chain of the usual extensions plus a User Agent switcher for some sites that artificially break on browser detection. And when that doesn't work, Waterfox (with the usual extensions)

Waterfox is partially based on the newer Firefox and adopts usability issues with it, like forcing a black font in the options dialogs assuming default black-on-white color schemes - bad for my white-on-darkblue color scheme...

(also because i'm old i have to try and set up all the buttons back restoring more familiar Navigator 3 layouts, sometimes needing an extension to do this. All this 'streamlining' of removing buttons, statusaddon bars, gratuitously sponsored search engine integration, etc. feels less trustworthy, claustrophobically power-less as more of the so-called "more power to the user!" is shuffled under the carpet)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 34 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to add, I refuse to use Chrome because of Google and because the browser is a RAM eater of all sorts. My default search engine is DuckDuckGo.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 35 of 39, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vintage Boxes = Links
Modern Boxes = Firefox
iMac = Safari
Phone = Chrome (it is a Google Pixel 3 after all)

I'm actually almost able to use LInks as a normal browser on my old machines. I use Firefox for the Adblock and Noscript additions. I'm aware Chrome and Edge have similar stuff for them, but I only really use Chrome for BandLab, and I only use BandLab on a PC when I'm arranging parts (too much lag to record and the looper/MIDI setup on BandLab is way too different from my phone). I use Safari on the iMac because it's something different, and Chrome on my phone because I'm just too lazy to set it up as anything else and don't use it even as heavily as I do links on my retro-PCs.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 37 of 39, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nah us IT boys like less work ;) We only started rolling out Chrome when more and more sites dropped IE compatibility We'll keep […]
Show full quote

We only started rolling out Chrome when more and more sites dropped IE compatibility
We'll keep IE for the sites that refuse to move off IE compatibility
Old Edge was part of the OS so whatever, no one used it anyway 😜

Chrome also gets the benefit of most apps state chrome in the supported browsers list. It's not uncommon it'll be the only one listed. It'll work on other browsers just no ones bothered to test.
Plus (and this is a big one) it's the one most average people use. I know if we rolled out Firefox we would have people complain "Chrome is better" based on 0 facts. Generally users of other browsers are savvy enough to do what they need in Chrome or can have Firefox or whatever installed without generation more work for the IT Dept.

Personally I use Chrome at work and Firefox at home. I hope the new Edge is a sucess though as having the browser as part of the OS just makes life sooo much easier ...see 1st point 😉

Edit
The amount off crappy advertising scripts makes some kind of blocker a necessity these days but always open to alternatives

I'm an I.T. Guy by day, but I work in the medical field and have to use IE for certain older applications that we use that utilize ancient web tech, then there's Chrome for most modern Cloud-based things, and then Firefox for anything else (which only really I use on the regs from what I can tell).

Honestly, at work, I don't give a crap what it is when it comes to me as long as it works and I can get things done in a timely fashion. My #1 complaint about browsers in the workplace is when people insist on using the wrong browser with the wrong application and won't listen to us IT people about it.

I probably spend 90% of my day in Internet Explorer as the most problematic web-apps we use require it. The rest is in Chrome, and firefox is just for background stuff or when I can't get either to work, or need to do some google-fu to find a solution to something and don't want scripts and ads buggering up my system (adblock and noscript).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 38 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Firefox

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 39 of 39, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been using Firefox since 1.0 was released. Unfortunately, Mozilla continues down a path that will eventually force me to abandon Firefox for one of its forks. What's the version number up to this week - v573.0?

Miphee wrote on 2020-09-18, 12:04:

URL bar autocomplete. When I type 'g' in Chrome it immediately completes it to gmail.com.
In Firefox it works for a while then it suddenly stops working and nobody ever gave me or anyone else a solution for this.

You could create a bookmark for gmail.com and in the properties set the keyword as 'g'. Just type 'g' in the address bar and hit enter.

I feel like bookmarks fell by the wayside when Google positioned itself as the portal of the web.

I thought IBM was born with the world