VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GulchWinder3D

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.zdnet.com/article/holy-cow-gatewa … mart-exclusive/

Gateway PCs will be available exclusively at Walmart with a range of laptops that cover multiple price points and use cases. […]
Show full quote

Gateway PCs will be available exclusively at Walmart with a range of laptops that cover multiple price points and use cases.

The Gateway devices at Walmart will include laptops, 2-in-1s, and an Ultra Slim and Creators series with both AMD and Intel processors.

Acer bought Gateway in 2007 for $710 million in a move to acquire market share. The Gateway brand, which used to go toe-to-toe with the likes of HP and Dell, faded away. Acer still owns the Gateway brand and forged the Walmart deal as Jade Zhou, head of global strategic alliances for Acer, noted the brand's history and how its cow-spotted boxes "have been well-loved in the United States since 1985."

What remains to be seen is whether the Gateway nostalgia play bolsters Acer's market share vs. the likes of HP, Lenovo, and Dell.

The lineup includes:

11.6-inch Ultra Slim Laptop (MSRP: $199.99) featuring Windows 10, AMD A4, 4GB/64GB. Available in four colors: Black, purple, blue, and green.
14.1-inch Ultra Slim Laptop (MSRP: $239.99) featuring Windows 10, Intel Celeron, 4GB/64GB. Available in four colors: Black, purple, blue, and green.
14.1-inch Ultra Slim Laptop (MSRP: $429.99) featuring Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U - Dual Core 2.6 GHz, 4GB/128GB. Available in 4 colors: Black, purple, blue, and green.
14.1-inch Ultra Slim Laptop (MSRP: $459.99) featuring Windows 10, Intel i3, 4GB/128GB. Available in four colors: Black, purple, blue, and green.
14.1-inch Ultra Slim Laptop (MSRP: $599.99) featuring Windows 10, Intel i5, 16GB/256GB. Available in four colors: Black, rose gold, blue, and green.
15.6" Ultra Slim Laptop (MSRP: $649.99) featuring Windows 10, Intel i5, 16GB /256GB. Available in four colors: Black, rose gold, blue, and green.
11.6-inch 2-in-1 Laptop (MSRP: $299.99) with a Touchscreen panel, featuring Windows 10, Intel Celeron, 4GB/64GB. Available in 4 colors: Black, purple, blue, and green.
15.6-inch Laptop (MSRP: $899.99) featuring Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Six Core 3.0 GHz, 8GB/256GB, Nvidia 1650 GTX GPU.
15.6-inchCreators Series Laptop (MSRP: $1199.99) featuring Windows 10, Intel i5, 8GB/256GB, Nvidia 2060 RTX GPU.
8-inch Tablet, (MSRP: $69.99) 800X1280 ips, A50, 1GB/32GB, Android 10. Available in black, purple, and blue.
10.1-inch Tablet, (MSRP: $79.99) 800X1280 ips, A50, 1GB/32GB, Android 10. Available in black, purple, and blue.

My last computer from them was a CX210X, which I bought shortly before they and eMachines were purchased by Acer. I thought it was a cool laptop at the time as it was my first tablet (sort of), however it wasn't the most reliable machine (had problems with the pen detecting the screen and the whole thing eventually died on me after three years). Will be interesting to see how this turns out for Acer; imo it's kinda odd that they would revive this brand suddenly after letting it stagnate for over a decade.

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LightStruk wrote on 2020-09-18, 13:49:

Gateway is still dead. Acer bought the Gateway brand assets, but these machines aren't even made by Acer. They're manufactured by the same ODM as those abominably awful EVOO laptops.

AFAIK, not even Acer branded stuff is manufactured by Acer . They apparently still to do design, but manufacturing is contracted out . Having owned/used/serviced various Acer branded monitors, desktops and laptops in the last few years, they seemed rather well built .

Reply 3 of 3, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-09-18, 15:42:
LightStruk wrote on 2020-09-18, 13:49:

Gateway is still dead. Acer bought the Gateway brand assets, but these machines aren't even made by Acer. They're manufactured by the same ODM as those abominably awful EVOO laptops.

AFAIK, not even Acer branded stuff is manufactured by Acer . They apparently still to do design, but manufacturing is contracted out . Having owned/used/serviced various Acer branded monitors, desktops and laptops in the last few years, they seemed rather well built .

A lot of branded stuff is not made by whoever owns the brand. That's why the term "OEM" exists.