NTVDM fixes

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://clio.rice.edu/djgpp/win2k/main.htm

Found this site today. Seems like they know a bit. Probly gonna contact 'em.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 5, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure I follow... DJGPP is a DOS port of the GNU C Compiler and all that site says is that its been updated to work properly under an NT/2k/XP VDM...

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 2 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DosFreak:
This information is much more interesting and relevant than what you linked to, but still interesting nevertheless. It would be interesting to hear what other stuff they found wrong with NTVDM in the process.

It also looks like most of the problems listed can be solved with NT LFN TSR... the reason being most of the problems listed are because of longfilename support changes.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 5, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still not quite sure how that helps us... The fixes are only in relation to the DJGPP compiler...

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Obviously they have NTVDM skillz. Working around limitations of the NTVDM for one program will give experience and insight into other programs that use NTVDM...which is every 16bit program in NT. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other thing: Some of the fixes there are for binaries already BUILT with DJGPP v2.03 or before. If you can determine that was the compiler that was used (a lot of third-party shareware games, for example) you might have success.

Still, I'm not so certain DosFreak is right in approaching them. But do what you want. Worst case, they'll just say they can't help.

😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto