Common searches

DOS RPG Hidden Gems?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2020-10-01, 09:55:
UI issues with Albion that I couldn't get past: -movement was hold left-mouse button down constantly which hurt my hand. I trie […]
Show full quote
Wolfus wrote on 2020-10-01, 07:46:

I would suggest Amberstar, but you didn't like Albion so I am not sure...
Why the hell you don't like Albion???

UI issues with Albion that I couldn't get past:
-movement was hold left-mouse button down constantly which hurt my hand. I tried using the keyboard but it was arrow keys only, so no diagonal movement.
-I hated the first-person perspective. IMO it was so poorly done that I could not navigate without getting lost. I'd intend to turn 90 degrees but somehow end up turned 180 without realizing it.

Yeah, that is understandable. In that case, I suggest Amberstar. It is similar but with classic step motion.

Someone mentioned Ishar. That's great trilogy, but it is better on (AGA) Amiga because of music.

Reply 21 of 23, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-29, 00:15:

Here's a list of games I did not finish and probably won't try again due to either UI issues I could not get past, or simply not liking them:
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

What didn't you like about this one, if you don't mind me asking? I was actually going to recommend it as it meets your criteria here and enjoyed what little I played of it. Was it the UI?

Reply 22 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-10-02, 02:05:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-29, 00:15:

Here's a list of games I did not finish and probably won't try again due to either UI issues I could not get past, or simply not liking them:
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

What didn't you like about this one, if you don't mind me asking? I was actually going to recommend it as it meets your criteria here and enjoyed what little I played of it. Was it the UI?

Here's what I said in another thread about 2.5 years ago:

As for me, I DNF'd Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. After playing it off and on for a month, I just could not get into it. I never looked forward to firing it up, despite the numerous positive reviews. The MT-32 music was great, but it was just a little too slow for me. Lots of wandering around in a desolate world with little to do from my perspective. So last night I started Anvil of Dawn and I'm already more drawn to it than Dark Sun, so hopefully this one keeps a grip on me for the next couple of months.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 23 of 23, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-10-02, 10:00:

Here's what I said in another thread about 2.5 years ago:

Thanks! I had scanned through much of the "What game are you playing" thread a while ago and didn't remember anyone posting about this game, so it's interesting to read your thoughts on it. I think SSI lost their magic touch after the Gold Box games, sadly. Their post-GB games aren't bad per se, but they are definitely a step down imo in everything but graphics and sound.