User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Helli everyone,
just saw the news.

https://fossbytes.com/developer-creates-dos-s … -for-linux-dsl/

DOS Subsystem for Linux

A WSL alternative for users who prefer an MS-DOS environment. DOS Subsystem for Linux integrates a real Linux environment into MS-DOS systems, allowing users to make use of both DOS and Linux applications from the DOS command prompt.

https://github.com/charliesome/doslinux

This makes me
a) wonder if anyone already tried it
b) wonder why things have to be named this way nowadays.

I mean, by 90s definition a "DOS subsystem" is a subsystem containing DOS or providing DOS compatibility.
Rather than a subsystem that runs on DOS.

The same brain twisted approach can be found in "Windows Subsystem for Linux" essentially (WSL).
Traditionally, this would have been called "Linux Subsystem on Windows" rather or "Linux on Windows" (LoW).
But apparently, it's now fashion that things are named upside-down. Kids, such trivial things make me feel I'm getting old. 😭

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-09, 11:55. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 30, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any mention of what hardware it works on? Can't recall whether linux still has soft-float capability, so an FPU might be required. I also believe that 386 support was dropped from the kernel some time ago, so 486+ I suppose.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 2 of 30, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2020-10-01, 09:12:

Can't recall whether linux still has soft-float capability, so an FPU might be required.

Linux kernel has an option to provide FPU emulation, nowadays it's meant mostly for some embedded systems that may still lack FPU.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Akuma wrote on 2020-10-09, 06:58:

Just stumbled onto this...

That comment by this BobZanis user is golden! 😁

BobZanis 30 Sep:
"Should the acronym be LSD, Linux Subsystem for DOS"

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-09, 11:56. Edited 2 times in total.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 30, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, I can't see anything impressive about this...
Booting Linux from DOS has been possible since the very beginning, see Loadlin.
And then there's Dosemu.
All the new stuff in that "DSL" boils down to suppressing all the boot messages, so it looks "seamless".

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-09, 11:56:

Merged threads.

Thanks, Stiletto! ^^

Grzyb wrote on 2020-10-09, 22:45:
BTW, I can't see anything impressive about this... Booting Linux from DOS has been possible since the very beginning, see Loadli […]
Show full quote

BTW, I can't see anything impressive about this...
Booting Linux from DOS has been possible since the very beginning, see Loadlin.
And then there's Dosemu.
All the new stuff in that "DSL" boils down to suppressing all the boot messages, so it looks "seamless".

I remember this! There was this utility to load Linux from an MS-DOS partition..
Minix can also boot from DOS, by the way. I used this option to boot Minix in DOSBox along ago ! 😁
Last, but not least, BEOS 5 Personal Edition worked that way. It booted from an image file in DOS.

By the way, MS-DOS Player and old CP/M emulators worked in a similar fashion.
You could run programs by passing the executable as an argument to the loader (MSDOS DOSPROG.EXE or CPM CPMAPP.CMD).
"LSD" works similar, but keeps Linux running all the time above 1MB, I believe.

So it's not of much use on a real world DOS system, unless the DOS and DOS programs are optimal configured for Expanded Memory.
A real EMS board (which supports EEMS ideally. Or LIM4 if there's nothing better) would not get into the way with Extended Memory.
So in theory, perhaps old DesqView could be used to run both DOS and Linux programs in separate windows.

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, DOS 2 had some Unix features from „XEDOS“ (made up from XENIX-DOS ?).
Like handling system devices as files or using the slash instead of the backslash (A:/> vs A>, A:\>.
These features were partially undocumented and removed in later versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo8NG8T4rWs

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 30, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-10, 05:45:
. […]
Show full quote

So it's not of much use on a real world DOS system, unless the DOS and DOS programs are optimal configured for Expanded Memory.
A real EMS board (which supports EEMS ideally. Or LIM4 if there's nothing better) would not get into the way with Extended Memory.
So in theory, perhaps old DesqView could be used to run both DOS and Linux programs in separate windows.

DesqViewX That X is important. DesqViewX runs Win3.1 in an Xwindow that could be shared with Linux or other *nix like system running XWindows at the time and networked to the DesqViewX box.

Attachments

• IMAG0010.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0010.JPG
    File size
    206.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-17, 06:21:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-10, 05:45:
. […]
Show full quote

DesqViewX That X is important. DesqViewX runs Win3.1 in an Xwindow that could be shared with Linux or other *nix like system running XWindows at the time and networked to the DesqViewX box.

Yup. I made a short video of that feature about 3 years ago. 😅
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYcY6oeBhY

Normal DESQView also can multi task Real-Mode Windows quite well, IMHO.
Another video experiment involved multi-tasking Windows 2.x and Windows 3.x simultanously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRPCGWGSqD4

The whole thing ran in VirtualBox, though, with QEMM 7, I think. 😀
So I'm not 100% sure how things would have performed on a 286/386 PC
with an EEMS Expanded Memory Board like the AST RAMPage..

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 30, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Linux has had Dosemu for decades. Some distros distributed a version of DR Dos with it.

Reply 14 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-17, 07:37:

Linux has had Dosemu for decades. Some distros distributed a version of DR Dos with it.

Thanks for the information!
Running this DSL in MS-DOS/DOSemu on Linux would be cool, I guess.. 😄

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 30, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-17, 09:19:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-17, 07:37:

Thanks for the information!

dosemu2 has been created with a different license to the original version https://dosemu2.github.io/dosemu2/

Original dosemu page http://www.dosemu.org/

Reply 16 of 30, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it's possible.
DOSemu works via V86 mode, so it can't run any software which directly controls the protected mode.
For running a protected mode OS, full virtualization is necessary - so, perhaps Dosbox?

Reply 17 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-12-18, 12:20:
I don't think it's possible. DOSemu works via V86 mode, so it can't run any software which directly controls the protected mode. […]
Show full quote

I don't think it's possible.
DOSemu works via V86 mode, so it can't run any software which directly controls the protected mode.
For running a protected mode OS, full virtualization is necessary - so, perhaps Dosbox?

I admit I barely used DOSemu before.
Last time I tried was when kernal 2.x was current, I believe.

So does this imply that DOSemu is incompatible with EMM386/QEMM/386MAX etc?
If so, it must have been pretty useless and it's no wonder it was so neglected.
- Unless it had some sort of real-mode compatible "emulation" of UMBs and EMS.
Or does it support DPMI somehow, by any chance? 😕
— I recall that Win-OS/2 could run in DOSemu,
because it was patched by IBM to be an DPMI client rather than a DPMI host.

If it can do DPMI, the Linux kernal in DSL (or "LSD"? 😉 ) *perhaps* could be adapted for this, not sure.

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 30, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-18, 13:25:
So does this imply that DOSemu is incompatible with EMM386/QEMM/386MAX etc? If so, it must have been pretty useless and it's no […]
Show full quote

So does this imply that DOSemu is incompatible with EMM386/QEMM/386MAX etc?
If so, it must have been pretty useless and it's no wonder it was so neglected.
- Unless it had some sort of real-mode compatible "emulation" of UMBs and EMS.
Or does it support DPMI somehow, by any chance? 😕
— I recall that Win-OS/2 could run in DOSemu,
because it was patched by IBM to be an DPMI client rather than a DPMI host.

DOSemu is like other Virtual Dos Machines from the 90s.
So, can't run HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.EXE, and other such stuff.
Instead, the VDM provides XMS, EMS, DPMI services.
Which is enough even for running well-behaved DOS extenders like DOS4GW, but not EMX - use RSX instead.

Reply 19 of 30, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Loading another OS from Dos is not a new idea. That was how Novell Netware was launched, as far as I remember. I have not used the server system, since 1995. Back then I was given the task of installing it on a 486, because a sadistic boss. I was studying computing and the boss thought that just because we (my fellow students at the internship) knew how to install a CD drive in Dos, then we automatically knew everything about computing. So we were given the full set of manuals (motherload of paper) a set of install floppies and a computer that had to be build first.

What a freaking week....
The truth was, that we had no idea how this server system worked, and of course had never seen anything like the install process anywere else. We were not given any training, and all the manuals were in English only. F**king ducebag, the boss were.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011