Common searches

"DOS Subsystem for Linux"?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2020-12-28, 09:17:

Loading another OS from Dos is not a new idea. That was how Novell Netware was launched, as far as I remember. I have not used the server system, since 1995. Back then I was given the task of installing it on a 486, because a sadistic boss. I was studying computing and the boss thought that just because we (my fellow students at the internship) knew how to install a CD drive in Dos, then we automatically knew everything about computing. So we were given the full set of manuals (motherload of paper) a set of install floppies and a computer that had to be build first.

What a freaking week....
The truth was, that we had no idea how this server system worked, and of course had never seen anything like the install process anywere else. We were not given any training, and all the manuals were in English only. F**king ducebag, the boss were.

I think the boss knew even less, so he delegated it to IT students. Smart move on his part.
So what did you learn from this debacle at the nuclear plant ?

Reply 21 of 30, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Akuma wrote on 2020-12-28, 10:26:

Loading another OS from Dos is not a new idea. That was how Novell Netware was launched, as far as I remember. I have not used the server system, since 1995. Back then I was given the task of installing it on a 486, because a sadistic boss. I was studying computing and the boss thought that just because we (my fellow students at the internship) knew how to install a CD drive in Dos, then we automatically knew everything about computing. So we were given the full set of manuals (motherload of paper) a set of install floppies and a computer that had to be build first.

What a freaking week....
The truth was, that we had no idea how this server system worked, and of course had never seen anything like the install process anywere else. We were not given any training, and all the manuals were in English only. F**king ducebag, the boss were.

I think the boss knew even less, so he delegated it to IT students. Smart move on his part.

Well... I learned that Dos can have more than one function. I never learned Netware. We complained, on tuesday that we were unable to do it in one week. He told us to start reading the manual. On friday he was not at work, so we called it a day and went out to drink in the evening. On monday he screamed at us, and asked why it was not fully working with 50 user logins. We gave him the cold hard facts, that he told us to read the manual. And it became expensive for him to hire people who were able to install and set up up in a couple of days. Overtime pay is what a boss want to avoid paying. Not my problem, it just went on the list of complains for the workers union.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Minix and BEOS 5 Personal also hat the ability to boot from DOS.
If memory servers, Linux from the distant past also had the ability (1990s? linload? loadlin?).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 30, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basic Linux 3.5 can be used in Dos on older systems http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/ It also has the option to install on a formatted drive.

I might give it a go on my 386DX25 at some point.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-12-28, 20:31. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 24 of 30, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-28, 19:56:

If memory servers, Linux from the distant past also had the ability (1990s? linload? loadlin?).

LOADLIN.
Very useful for those with sound cards that needed initialization by some DOS-only utility.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 25 of 30, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2020-12-28, 12:58:
Akuma wrote on 2020-12-28, 10:26:

What a freaking week....

Well... I learned that Dos can have more than one function. I never learned Netware. We complained, on tuesday that we were unable to do it in one week. He told us to start reading the manual. On friday he was not at work, so we called it a day and went out to drink in the evening. On monday he screamed at us, and asked why it was not fully working with 50 user logins. We gave him the cold hard facts, that he told us to read the manual. And it became expensive for him to hire people who were able to install and set up up in a couple of days. Overtime pay is what a boss want to avoid paying. Not my problem, it just went on the list of complains for the workers union.

That's too bad, its always nice to come out on top if you've been thrown into a difficult situation.

Reply 26 of 30, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every appliance with a screen must run DooM, not everything must run Linux.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 27 of 30, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-12-29, 09:05:

Every appliance with a screen must run NetBSD, not everything must run Linux.

Minix and BEOS 5 Personal also hat the ability to boot from DOS.

BeOS R3 and R4 use loadlin to be booted from DOS. A different utility was provided with R4.5 and R5.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 28 of 30, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-12-29, 09:05:

What is DooM? Linux is kawl. I use it as a hardware tester so no Win9x/NTx drivers or reboots required.....

Can go back to 486 class systems using PLOP to boot the CD...

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 29 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-12-28, 20:29:

LOADLIN.
Very useful for those with sound cards that needed initialization by some DOS-only utility.

LOADLIN works to this day. Reclocking a C3 CPU via SETMUL also persists into the Linux session if you use LOADLIN, so bonus?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 30 of 30, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-28, 20:21:

Basic Linux 3.5 can be used in Dos on older systems http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/ It also has the option to install on a formatted drive.

It might be pedantic of me, but "used in" sounds to me like you're going to be "using" Linux while it's running "inside" DOS, but really I'm fairly sure you're just booting Linux from DOS, and Linux replaces DOS in memory. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Basic Linux does sound interesting though! Another similar solution is ZipSlack, which was Slackware Linux designed to fit on a FAT-formatted Zip disk. Back in the 1990s I found it a nice way to play with Linux without having to shrink my FAT filesystem to make way for an ext2 partition, although I eventually just added an old drive that I could format as ext2.

ZipSlack used UMSDOS, where Linux used your FAT filesystem for its root filesystem - it used a special file in each directory to store the long filenames, ownership and permissions, etc. - whereas Basic Linux's page says it uses a "loop file" which I'm fairly sure means the Linux root filesystem is contained in a disk image which can live in your FAT filesystem.