VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Axatax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I had $85 to throw around, I would buy [redacted] this, just because, and do a review.

I know someone here has to be up for it?

Attachments

• s-l1601.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1601.jpg
    File size
    210.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    156.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Axatax on 2020-10-04, 18:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haha, thanks for the link! It looks funny, yet charming also! 😁
My younger self sometimes wishs we stil would use such stuff today, rather than all mighty TCP/IP..
Because, it reminds me of simpler times (but not necessarily more primitive times) when things were fresh and experimental.
Experimentation, yes, that's what I miss. New ideas, strange new concepts (MS Bob, do you hear me ?).
By all these standardization approaches, the fun often falls along the wayside. Things became waay to unixoide.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 18, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone remember Novell NetWare?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 18, by Axatax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2020-10-02, 18:59:

I do. I run a virtualized Netware server on Linux and run all my vintage machines diskless. I think Netware is the only sane way to network DOS machines.

That's why I'm interested in these strange NOSs that popped up during this time frame.

Last edited by Axatax on 2020-10-02, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Axatax wrote on 2020-10-02, 16:48:

If I had $85 to throw around, I would buy https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Windows-Mose … 71d25c52b00ac03 this, just because, and do a review.

I know someone here has to be up for it?

Does it support the IP/RS protocol (IP over Red Sea) ? 🤣

Reply 7 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's what's called "bad timing": release a peer-to-peer networking product when Windows 95 was just-released, and WfW was already well-established - both with such an option built-in.
No wonder I have never even heard about that product...

I'm only interested in one thing - those network adapters.
Any idea what they are?
4 Mbps looks like neither Arcnet nor Ethernet...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 9 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could see a use for this pre internet days. Cheep peer to peer network for your non WFW or pure dos environment.
Took some people long while to upgrade, My highschool was still running WFW over coax when I graduated in 98.
Their days were numbered but probably lasted a few more years with existing customers (its version 3 after all)

Reply 10 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-10-03, 00:07:

That's what's called "bad timing": release a peer-to-peer networking product when Windows 95 was just-released, and WfW was already well-established - both with such an option built-in.
No wonder I have never even heard about that product...

Let's also respectfully remember the armada of plain Windows 3.1 and Win-OS/2 machines still in use at the time.. And those lonely Unix machines running Wabi. 😉
To them, Moses' Network OS lead into the holy lands of network computing. Perhaps.

Seriously though, neither WfW 3.11 nor Win95 was free. In the 90s, you had to buy licenses for each networked PC. And a piece of commercial software was no klick away yet.
Undet this aspect, a little, obscure network software with a generous license model wasn't a bad alternative, perhaps.

If you bought a network pack for $200 that allowed you to connect 50 PCs or so, without any limitations, it wouldn't be bad. Especially, if you could add cheap serial and parallel connections to the network.

These cheap connections could be homemade by the geeks in the company, for example. Or a poorly paid student (as usual). Use case might be the PCs in the parts of the office with little traffic.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-04, 14:04:

Could see a use for this pre internet days. Cheep peer to peer network for your non WFW or pure dos environment.
Took some people long while to upgrade, My highschool was still running WFW over coax when I graduated in 98.
Their days were numbered but probably lasted a few more years with existing customers (its version 3 after all)

You can also use the AppleTalk protocol on DOS and Windows 3.x just fine.
There was a third-party software product with support for NE2000 cards.
A link to an archived article is in an old posting by me:
Re: Best way to transfer files over a network in Windows 95?

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-04, 14:33:

Let's also respectfully remember the armada of plain Windows 3.1 and Win-OS/2 machines still in use at the time.. And those lonely Unix machines running Wabi. 😉
To them, Moses' Network OS lead into the holy lands of network computing. Perhaps.

Only for the plain Windows 3.1.
Software like that NOS is unlikely to work in Win-OS/2 or Wabi - for them one would need OS/2 Warp Connect and NFS, respectively.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 13 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@Axatax: could you remove the ebay link and exchange it for screenshots? We really try to keep ebay links off the site, mostly because we had problems with people that link tot hem before. Thanks

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 18, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Axatax wrote on 2020-10-02, 19:22:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2020-10-02, 18:59:

I do. I run a virtualized Netware server on Linux and run all my vintage machines diskless. I think Netware is the only sane way to network DOS machines.

That's why I'm interested in these strange NOSs that popped up during this time frame.

Those sweet memories. I remember taking Turbo Pascal course in 1993; the instructor told us to copy the practice files from a sub-directory (yes, it was called sub-directory at that time) in the drive X:.

Little did I realize that drive X: is a network share folder.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still want to runup a Netware sever on my reto LAN. Would need to be dos and IPX based as that's what I associate it with so probably 3x or 4x.
never used in the "wild" but had to set it up in a lab environment in collage a few times and liked it.

Reply 17 of 18, by Axatax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-05, 08:08:

Still want to runup a Netware sever on my reto LAN. Would need to be dos and IPX based as that's what I associate it with so probably 3x or 4x.
never used in the "wild" but had to set it up in a lab environment in collage a few times and liked it.

4.x is the best, I think for what we're interested in. You can serve every type of client from DOS 3.3 to at least XP (don't know if anything happened with Novell after that). I think if you have a bunch of DOS machines, or even a mixed network of Mac, OS/2, certain UNIX flavors (even IRIX), this is really the way to go vs. maintaining storage for each machine.

When the whole symphony is playing, the experience is indistinguishable from using local disks for the most part. Netware is a whole different experience from MS's attempts at networking during this era -- Novell's Client32, for example requires 4K of conventional memory for the whole stack vs. MS' 230K LanManager stuff for DOS.

I was considering doing some type of "HOW-TO" for Netware geared toward retro computing or whatnot if that would be of interest.

Reply 18 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

agree 4x is the better choice but 3x was it's heyday.
but what's holding me back is need another dual CPU system as I want that 2nd snake on the screensaver 😉

We have had a few people ask about Netware without knowing it, usually something like "As I've got the drivers loaded for Doom network can I also share files"
so was going to do a howto but not anytime soon so I'd say go for it!