VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What are some good adventure games for beginners? I'm having a hard time enjoying adventure games because I played a bunch of hard ones (I beat them with a walkthrough).

Reply 1 of 14, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's an adventure/RPG hybrid, but have you tried Quest for Glory? I'm horrible at adventure game logic/puzzles but I was able to complete QfG I without much issue.

LOOM is basically the perfect beginner adventure game. Beautiful EGA graphics and adlib/MT32 music and the puzzles are very sensible.

The Secret of Monkey Island is another good one for beginners but might have some tricky parts.

Leisure Suit Larry (the first one) is actually very beginner-friendly with puzzles that make sense. It's probably the "easiest" of the Sierra adventures, and is very fair. The AGI version even has a much better parser than most Sierra games.

Reply 2 of 14, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-10-13, 04:34:

Leisure Suit Larry (the first one) is actually very beginner-friendly with puzzles that make sense. It's probably the "easiest" of the Sierra adventures, and is very fair. The AGI version even has a much better parser than most Sierra games.

LSL is actually one of the most unforgiving, there are many ways to mess up and make the game unfinishable without realizing until later (likely after you've saved the game, meaning you have to restart if you didn't use a different save slot).

Reply 4 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do not play adventure games, but Sam and Max Hit the Road was pretty nice and easy.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 5 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Much of the LucasArts games are suitable as they all don't have the big infamous Sierra unwinnable/lose conditions after 1990, and their copy protection schemes are more comfortable. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 14, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-10-13, 05:56:
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-10-13, 04:34:

LSL is actually one of the most unforgiving, there are many ways to mess up and make the game unfinishable without realizing until later (likely after you've saved the game, meaning you have to restart if you didn't use a different save slot).

OK but why is LSL so popular
I'm just wondering

Reply 8 of 14, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-10-13, 05:56:

It does have some dead-ends but the game is very short so even having to restart is not a huge problem imo. However, I found the logic behind the puzzles to make a lot of sense, and the game is pretty decent about killing you quickly if you screw your game up... though it is true that there are some exceptions to that.

Reply 9 of 14, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-10-13, 06:04:

I do not play adventure games, but Sam and Max Hit the Road was pretty nice and easy.

That game was hard! I had to use a walkthrough for that game.
BTW I played that game like several weeks ago.

Last edited by hyperrmachine on 2020-10-13, 12:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 14, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember Flight of the Amazon Queen and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis being very comfortable to play.

Full Throttle was also okay, except you have to remember that the real time action sequences are also puzzles. Those gave me the biggest problems.

I never played them seriously but the Ecoquest games were meant for children/teens, so I guess they would be fairly simple?

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 11 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want something completely different, I was watching a playthrough of Milkmaid of the Milky Way a while ago and was quite impressed.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/544970/Mil … _the_Milky_Way/
(It was also in that big itch.io bundle a few months ago if you bought that.)

Or you might consider the Phoenix Wright series.

Perhaps Beneath a Steel Sky is worth considering? I do not recall struggling much with it.

hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-10-13, 06:03:

A little question here: Is Grim Fandango a good game for beginners?

Maybe? It has a couple of little unconventional spatial puzzles that can throw you off, but everything mostly makes sense. (There's one infuriating spot where I needed a hint because you absolutely need to use the "Give" command instead of the "Use" command. Blah.)

Reply 14 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I think that Soleil aka Crusader of Centy is very user friendly.
It's a Mega Drive (Genesis) game, but should run on early emulators on a 486, too.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/crusader-of-centy

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//