47222-faces-tris-iii-dos-front-cover.jpg

Reply 1 of 48, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lucas Arts - Full throttle

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-10-15, 18:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 48, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demon's Winter (1988)

214545-demon-s-winter-dos-front-cover.jpg

Very atmospheric RPG that's not well known but is a great game. The demon on the cover maybe could have used a bit of reworking, but the overall concept is cool and everything else on the cover looks great. The red lava surrounded by white ice really left an impression on my as a kid.

Reply 4 of 48, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-10-15, 02:51:
https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/209206-tongue-of-the-fatman-dos-front-cover.jpg […]
Show full quote

209206-tongue-of-the-fatman-dos-front-cover.jpg

/thread

A lot of people consider Tongue of the Fatman's cover to be one of the worst PC game covers, but I think it doesn't look bad.

Reply 5 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Air Combat Classics is always my favorite, because it is Battlehawsk 1942, Their Finest Hour, and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe rolled into one --including all expansion packs! Anyway, the picture below is actually the manual cover instead of the box cover, because the former is easier to scan. Both covers are exactly the same though.

video-game-cover-air-combat-classics.jpg
Air Combat Classics.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gunship 2000 is also my favorite, I just like the silhouette of the Apaches, Blackhawks, and the single Kiowa Warrior on the right. I'm glad they keep the same art for the game's official strategy guide.

video-game-cover-gunship-2000.jpg
Gunship 2000 box cover.

Gunship-2000-Official-Strategy-Guide-front.jpg
Gunship 2000 Official Strategy Guide - front cover.

Gunship-2000-Official-Strategy-Guide-back.jpg
Gunship 2000 Official Strategy Guide - back cover.

Gunship-2000-Official-Strategy-Guide-side.jpg
Gunship 2000 Official Strategy Guide - side cover.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 7 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

F-16 Combat Pilot, which I found to be the most interesting box cover ever. First, it has the phrase "The First Fighter Simulation To Include Squadron Strategy". Second, it shows F-16s in small circles connected by line, with a map in the background, as if the cover designer wanted to emphasize the strategic elements. Third, the cover features black rectangle with phrases like "Threat Degrade," "Threat Analysis," "Range & Bearing," and so on, which again, advertise the strategic part. In fact, it was such emphasis on strategy that compelled me to buy the game back in 1990. Too bad landing the aircraft is very hard. 😵

video-game-cover-f-16-combat-pilot.jpg
The box cover of F-16 Combat Pilot, which advertises the game's strategic elements.

Reply 8 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Navy Strike has such subtle front cover. The back cover is still dominated by the color black, but with nice, colorful screenshots of the game. It is also one of the obscure games I own.

video-game-cover-navy-strike-front.jpg
Navy Strike, front cover.

video-game-cover-navy-strike-back.jpg
Navy Strike, back cover.

Reply 9 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cover of Air Force Commander is probably the opposite of that of the F-16 Combat Pilot previously posted. While F-16 Combat Pilot's cover heavily advertises the game's strategic element, the cover of Air Force Commander gives the impression that the game is merely another flight simulator. Only the phrase "command an entire air force in this sophisticated simulation of modern air warfare" indicates that Air Force Commander is indeed a strategy game.

video-game-cover-air-force-commander.jpg
Air Force Commander.

Reply 10 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Task Force 1942 has nice front cover, but its back cover is even better.

video-game-cover-task-force-1942-front.jpg
Task Force 1942, front cover.

video-game-cover-task-force-1942-back.jpg
Task Force 1942, back cover.

Reply 11 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Top Gun: Fire At Will has such 'explosive' front cover design, its back cover isn't bad either.

video-game-cover-top-gun-fire-at-will-front.jpg
Top Gun: Fire At Will, front cover.

video-game-cover-top-gun-fire-at-will-back.jpg
Top Gun: Fire At Will, back cover.

Reply 12 of 48, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I especially like the back cover of Task Force 1942. It reminds of the front cover of Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge haha.

[EDIT] Might as well post the cover since I mentioned it!

Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge

77283-wizardry-bane-of-the-cosmic-forge-dos-front-cover.jpg

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2020-10-16, 17:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-10-16, 02:39:

I especially like the back cover of Task Force 1942. It reminds of the front cover of Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge haha.

😳 You are correct. Different genres, different companies, yet similar cover art. How come?

Reply 14 of 48, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2020-10-16, 05:39:
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-10-16, 02:39:

😳 You are correct. Different genres, different companies, yet similar cover art. How come?

Both excellent, I have a feeling the original style is inspired from still paintings of military objects in real life.

An example that comes to mind :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Odqg6_k5E8

Reply 15 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-10-16, 12:46:

Both excellent, I have a feeling the original style is inspired from still paintings of military objects in real life.

An example that comes to mind :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Odqg6_k5E8

In any case, I hope more Vogoners would post pictures of their game cover. Computer game boxes are always nice too see.