VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 48, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2020-10-20, 11:20:
This has to be one of my favourites: https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/images/a/aa/Uw2box.jpg […]
Show full quote

This has to be one of my favourites:
Uw2box.jpg

That's a fantastic one!
I need more Flightsim and RPG boxed games in my life 🤣

Reply 23 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hezus wrote on 2020-10-28, 08:17:
I'll just leave another one of my favourites here. :) really love this shot and angle. If you take a good look you'll see some n […]
Show full quote

I'll just leave another one of my favourites here. 😀 really love this shot and angle. If you take a good look you'll see some new detail every time.

1046-terra-nova-strike-force-centauri-dos-front-cover.jpg

Indeed, the cover is subtle but detailed, like Navy Strike cover posted earlier on this thread.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, how about posting your least favorite cover design for a change?

video-game-cover-hi-octane.jpg
Perhaps the most uninteresting video game cover art I've ever seen.

Above is my least-liked video game cover art: the box is dominated by drab, boring, washed-out cyan, without any interesting object whatsoever; the game title is hard to read and hard to discern from the background; and the box totally fails to show the audience what the game is all about.

In fact, the only interesting object on the box cover is the Bullfrog logo.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 26 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2020-12-10, 02:26:

Wow. I don't know anything about that game, but that box does nothing to make me care.
In fact I had to stare at it for a bit to even figure out what game it was. Hard to read, indeed.

It's also interesting to note that Zone Raiders has more interesting, more gameplay-relevant cover art, despite the game's allegedly worse gameplay.

5619-zone-raiders-dos-front-cover.jpg
Filename
5619-zone-raiders-dos-front-cover.jpg
File size
40.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I don't have the game, the cover is not mine.

Reply 27 of 48, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some very cool covers in this topic!
Here's the one I like

5008-chasm-the-rift-dos-front-cover.jpg
Filename
5008-chasm-the-rift-dos-front-cover.jpg
File size
120.74 KiB
Views
File comment
chasm the rift
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 29 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-12-10, 11:03:
https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/63595-x-com-ufo-defense-dos-front-cover.jpg […]
Show full quote

63595-x-com-ufo-defense-dos-front-cover.jpg

Perfect.

I actually prefer the American version, although it is less descriptive about the gameplay.

Reply 30 of 48, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always liked the Everquest box art:

download/file.php?mode=view&id=98075

download/file.php?mode=view&id=98074

download/file.php?mode=view&id=98073

EDIT: Sorry I forgot the topic was early DOS/Windows, this really doesn't qualify.

Attachments

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2020-12-12, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 48, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-12-12, 06:08:

I always liked the Everquest box art:

Boy, I sure remember the days where "3D Accelerator Required" or the old 3dfx Glide logo was featured on a big box game.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 33 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote on 2020-12-12, 21:00:
System Shock […]
Show full quote

System Shock

612989-system-shock-dos-front-cover.jpg

All this time I wonder who is pictured on System Shock's cover; is he the hacker? Or is he actually Edward Diego?

Reply 35 of 48, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These came to mind as soon as I saw the thread, probably forgetting a ton of others.

Ultima V

113132-ultima-v-warriors-of-destiny-dos-front-cover.jpg

One of my absolute favorites. Never played Ultima games for long, but this cover is just epic. It immediately got me interested in the game and I started looking into the Ultima games. The figures, and setting to a degree, are also fairly reminiscent of the Nazgul as they hunt down the hobbits in the Fellowship of the Ring.

Monkey Island 2

67152-monkey-island-2-lechuck-s-revenge-amiga-front-cover.jpg

A classic. I was torn between this and the original's, however I didn't play SOMI until many years I had played MI2 and CMI and as such it had less of an impact on me. As a result, I find this game's cover iconic.

Atlantis : The Lost Tales

692657-atlantis-the-lost-tales-dos-front-cover.jpg

Atlantis The Lost Tales wowed me to a degree few games have. I first saw it at a young age and it moved me in ways difficult to describe. One of the iconic flying vehicles used for transportation in the game is illustrated in the cover and I just love it. It's one of the games I always have on display.

ICO

214724-ico-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Cheating a bit here with an early PS2 title, but I couldn't help but include this work of art.

Reply 36 of 48, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2020-12-22, 15:00:
ICO

214724-ico-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Cheating a bit here with an early PS2 title, but I couldn't help but include this work of art.

Both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are as close to art as it gets in video games (for me at least). To bad these games were not released for DOS/Windows. 😀

Reply 37 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2020-12-09, 23:39:
Anyway, how about posting your least favorite cover design for a change? […]
Show full quote

Anyway, how about posting your least favorite cover design for a change?

video-game-cover-hi-octane.jpg
Perhaps the most uninteresting video game cover art I've ever seen.

Above is my least-liked video game cover art: the box is dominated by drab, boring, washed-out cyan, without any interesting object whatsoever; the game title is hard to read and hard to discern from the background; and the box totally fails to show the audience what the game is all about.

In fact, the only interesting object on the box cover is the Bullfrog logo.

Remember when I told you Hi-Octave's cover is my least favorite video game cover design?

Well, its back cover actually looks pretty good.

hi-octane.jpg

Reply 38 of 48, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2020-10-20, 11:20:
This has to be one of my favourites: https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/images/a/aa/Uw2box.jpg […]
Show full quote

This has to be one of my favourites:
Uw2box.jpg

I was thinking about Ultima Underworld II when I saw the topictitle. Good choice bro ( 😜 ) !

Others already mentioned Ultima boxes: Ultima 5 and Ultima 8 are very nice, too.

One that I like much is the Star Goose box. The box of Settlers II is high on my list as well but I'm probably biased because I like that game a lot.
I think that the image is a magazine scan but the artwork is identical to the boxed version.
stargoose-8321f732-da81-4ac2-954f-c675b06295c-resize-750.jpeg

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.