VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let say I have 6GB of assorted files of all sizes, I get this: At beginning, average 30mb/s then suddenly plunge to steady 10-15MB/s average. Drivers all in place on HP Elitedesk 800 G1 and running a 1TB SSD.

But if I have different file compressed into one file or just one big file like PS4 update file that weighs in 1.1GB for example, I get excellent up to 50mb/s.

What is going on behind the scenes?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:54:
Let say I have 6GB of assorted files of all sizes, I get this: At beginning, average 30mb/s then suddenly plunge to steady 10-1 […]
Show full quote

Let say I have 6GB of assorted files of all sizes, I get this: At beginning, average 30mb/s then suddenly plunge to steady 10-15MB/s average. Drivers all in place on HP Elitedesk 800 G1 and running a 1TB SSD.

But if I have different file compressed into one file or just one big file like PS4 update file that weighs in 1.1GB for example, I get excellent up to 50mb/s.

Cheers,

Where did you buy that branded stick and what brand/model is it ?

Reply 2 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I wonder the same.

Also, HDTune (old Freeware) can do speed & surface tests. I often use it to bench CF cards in an USB 3 card reader.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 12, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly is the brand and model number of the stick?

Lots of USB 3 memory sticks are dog ass slow for writing. I have a WD Easystore 128GB stick that only writes at 30-40MB/sec but the read speed holds steady at 125MB/sec. I also have a Sandisk Cruzer Glide 128 that writes at 50-60MB/sec and reads at 240MB/sec. This is to and from a Corsair MP510 960GB M.2 SSD.

Reply 4 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want RAW speed, get a NVME drive and plop it into a usb/nvme adapter.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plugable … ure,6015-2.html

just make sure you get a reputable adapter, not the cheap chinese shit they peddle on epay.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 12, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noticed this too after putting together my Ryzen system. Mine is a Sandisk Ultra 128gb USB 3.0, starts off fast then fizzles out.

Also tested it on my pc at work and does no better there either. Perhaps the stick drives have no "stamina" 😁

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 6 of 12, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, most thumb drives are garbage at least in terms of write speed. My cheap 32 and 64GB Kingston sticks only write at around 15 MB/s. Read speed is pretty decent though: a steady 170 MB/s. Those speeds are consistent across all of the PCs that I use them on.

Even USB-powered spinning rust absolutely puts those wimpy thumb drives to shame, at least in terms of write speed. My Toshiba external HDD from 2015 writes at around 155 MB/s and reads at 160 MB/s .

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 7 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To be fair to the USB sticks, they are almost literally the size of your fingernail. and can store 100's og GB of data easily. give them a break.

To say it again, a NVME drive inside a quality adapter will run absolute circles around all other usb drives

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:54:

Copying small files is inherently slower than copying large files, in almost all cases. I see no issue here.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly. Fast then fizzes out then slow on lots of small files. Best on large files. Doesn't make sense. Used same sticks both cases and is very consistent. The usb sticks I have are reliable and are usb 3.0 plugged in usb 3.0 ports.

I don't like this how it works.

Good suggestion on NVME to usb 3.0 adapter in the future. For now, I'll try a small old SSD in another usb 3.0 external box.

Update:
Tried again, got consistent 150MB/s as as low as 30MB/s but I still see: small files writes fell to 3MB/s still if too many but happens quicker.
Using a old Intel 710 100GB SATA SSD in a reused seagate external box (was 2TB SMR). Better. I have many 100GB 710 for other uses also intended for windows 98se. Intel 710 is designed for high usage. Same as intel 320 but 710 has 1 more chip to usual 10 NAND ICs and 20GB reserved for reallocation, good turnkey for ease of use with good life.

Back in the day when OCZ was making usb sticks, I found one that was best, dual channel using 2 NAND ICs in parallel to speed up. Got great results. Is there good brand that is based on this design and for usb 3.0?

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2020-11-05, 21:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-05, 21:03:

Exactly. Fast then fizzes out then slow on lots of small files. Best on large files. Doesn't make sense.

Larger files are faster than smaller files. As for "Fast, then slow", it's because Windows at least caches the copy, so it shows faster than actual transfer rates at the beginning. It's all normal.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-05, 21:03:
Exactly. Fast then fizzes out then slow on lots of small files. Best on large files. Doesn't make sense. Used same stic […]
Show full quote

Exactly. Fast then fizzes out then slow on lots of small files. Best on large files. Doesn't make sense. Used same sticks both cases and is very consistent. The usb sticks I have are reliable and are usb 3.0 plugged in usb 3.0 ports.

I don't like this how it works.

Good suggestion on NVME to usb 3.0 adapter. I'll try a small old SSD in another usb 3.0 external.

Cheers,

is NVME going to make a lick of difference over SATA when connecting through USB 3.0? Even with fast SATA SSDs, you are going to be limited by USB 3.0.

Now if it was USB 3.1 Gen 2 then, sure, NVME should be faster.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ironically this is exactly what customer usage is! Lots and lots of small files, that meant photos.

Cheers,