Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is nothing more infuriating than trying to get any productivity work done on a tablet or any other touch interface device. It drives me so fucking crazy that sometimes I want to smash it to pieces and break every bone in my own fingers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 321 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A tablet isn’t suitable for all tasks or everybody. I still own a pc for a reason myself. Doing serious work on a tablet requires a bit of skill and a proper Blu-tooth keyboard helps. To me tablets are best suited to light browsing, e-mail, photo’s and videos, simple games, and short messages. Reading a document or spreadsheet is usually doable imho but making one is still best done on a pc.

Personally I would feel like smashing my pc if I had to lug it around because I had no tablet. 😉

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 323 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can do pretty much EVERYTHING on my tablet (iPad Pro 12” 2017), even code a website myself there. No complaints so far.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 324 of 749, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-11-06, 19:24:

I still loathe Mac OS and the company practices overall, and Steve Jobs as a person.

Hehe.... Yup. True.
Jobs was a prick, woz is like a god. They say the best one's die first, however in this case I bet something made an exception.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 325 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While I understand some people might not agree I think tablets and smart phones are a wonderful invention. I haven't really used Android stuff and don't care for it. I prefer Apple. The funny thing? Once I saw that movie about Steve Jobs I was kind of amazed about what an *** he apparently was. At least according to some. I guess you might need to be a bit of a *** if you are willing to push people around hard enough to realize a vision you have...

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 326 of 749, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As much as I detest the aforementioned fashion company (oh, to think they were on the verge of going under in 1997), I confess that I'm quite nostalgic for the Macintosh LCs my primary school had in the 90s. I'd pay penance to Bill for absolution, but he doesn't need money.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 327 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me 1997 is ancient history and while Bill (Gates, right?) was a visionary he too was a bit of a weirdo apparently. Funny, I prefer iPhones and iPads, but insist on having an IBM compatible PC with Microsoft Windows...

Reply 328 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-02-02, 14:04:

While I understand some people might not agree I think tablets and smart phones are a wonderful invention. I haven't really used Android stuff and don't care for it. I prefer Apple. The funny thing? Once I saw that movie about Steve Jobs I was kind of amazed about what an *** he apparently was. At least according to some. I guess you might need to be a bit of a *** if you are willing to push people around hard enough to realize a vision you have...

Only the geniuses and best ones are a PITA to work with, apparently. For example, Ayrton Senna. He was exactly like Jobs at work, obsessed with details and perfectionist, demanding a lot from his team, demanding 120% all the time, but when he wasn't racing and enjoying free time with is family in Sao Paulo, he was a completely different person. Like, a very different Ayrton Senna, like if he had two personalities. Globo TV used to sell his image as a good guy against the bad guys, but in reality the people that worked with Senna generally spoke the truth about how hard it was to work with him. Gerhard Berger's opinion can't be held high because they were very good friends, unlike Alain Prost who had faced the true image of Senna behind the scenes. Nevertheless, as a racing fan, I still regard Ayrton Senna as the greatest of all time, though he might not have been someone very nice to work with.

Other names fall in this category: Fernando Alonso, Michael Jordan. The Netflix documentary about Chicago Bulls golden years under Jordan is a very good image of how really Jordan was behind the scenes. Jordan was very much like Jobs, the same methods applied.

I can understand the motivation behind Steve Jobs acts and ideas, his methods maybe weren't popular, but most companies in this world have someone like Jobs doing the same, they just do not have the media press over them to put a light and tell everyone. I doubt that there is any manager in this world with methods as successful and more popular than Jobs. Even Jesus Christ did not please everyone...

They strive to and want to be the best, and do whatever it takes to make it happen. That's why they were extremely good in what they wanted to do.

No good boys where THAT good in their areas. I am yet to see a "good boi" as a F1 world champion... (even Jenson Button admitted he wasn't a nice guy when there was no camera around him).

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 329 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bosses who act like a “PITA” might get things done but I think that kind of behavior can backfire. Also, I have seen this before, people who are very nice until they want something done. How did people working with such a split personality deal with it so the stress didn’t get to them?

Reply 330 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-02-02, 17:51:

Bosses who act like a “PITA” might get things done but I think that kind of behavior can backfire. Also, I have seen this before, people who are very nice until they want something done. How did people working with such a split personality deal with it so the stress didn’t get to them?

As someone (though I am not a boss... yet) that sometimes acted like this before the pandemic, I can relate. Yes, that kind of behavior can backfire sometimes (for example, I worked at a federal government institute, the place had a very political athmosphere - left vs right party, and if you pushed your ideas for your work to be done, the other party would for sure sabotage you and it did happen to me before being fired, six years ago). Now, I work remotely for a new company, whose atmosphere is MUCH better in all aspects so it's really easy to be nice than a PITA to work with, because everyone works towards the same goal, no politics or something else involved.

About stress - I did experience a lot of stress in my last job, particularly because I needed things to be done in a certain way and they weren't. Turns out, I was doing everything all by myself and suffered a lot of stress, which in turn caused some health issues. This was the turning point for me - the day I decided to leave the job and look for something better, with a better salary. I did it and I am now much better.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 331 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for sharing your story. Yeah, I can see how people working against each other, having to do stuff by yourself and low salary can make someone a “PITA”.

Reply 333 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to add Tomb Raider to my Win9x games list...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 334 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only finished some MS-DOS games I played at age 8-16 when I was well into adulthood and DOS obsolete. Often I couldn’t have managed without guides on the internet or the insights you gain as you grow older.

Reply 336 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought it was decent game. You might want to look for an updated version. Those original games have aged a lot in my view. Especially after I had played more modern games.

Reply 337 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, I recently discovered the "Special Editions" of Monkey Island 1 and 2, and enjoyed them a great deal. For nostalgia purposes, both games also include the original graphics and interface, and you can switch any time.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 338 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some updated games such as a remake of Leisure Suit Larry not improved the technology but the story. While I get a story sometimes needs tweaking to better suit a modern audience, I felt the iOS remake had lost a bit of its soul. They included some nonsense involving a whale. Some may appreciate that, but not me.

Reply 339 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dkjr wrote on 2021-02-03, 07:58:

Well I still have not played Secret of Monkey Island.

Lucky bastard..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.