VOGONS

Common searches

8-Bit Guy video's are becoming a chore!

Topic actions

First post, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been watching the last video's of the 8-bit guy, and it feels like he has to do them.
Its not fun to watch anymore and I catch myself stopping them a couple of minutes in.
Its depressing to watch and feels like a chore.

Am I projecting my own feelings here ?

Reply 3 of 87, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, we discussed some of this on the IBM Prototype debacle thread. In a way he is in need to pop out these videos as this is his full time job now. But in my opinion he fails to understand that part of that job is to show some passion for what he's doing, otherwise the video is no better than a poorly written wikipedia page about some old hardware.

Reply 4 of 87, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should message the 8 bit guy,

My guess is being in the middle of building a $500 shed that costs $30,000 is draining but

His interests are known as well and the current subjects he is reviewing may not be the best fit for a full video, maybe needs an 8 bit guy shorts segment for some of these.

Anyway I’ve watched his recent vids and haven’t noticed much besides the usual clean it up style he always has. Perhaps less detail but the subjects don’t have much remaining details left to explore

At the end of the day free entertainment = you got what you paid for

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2020-11-19, 20:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 87, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are so many other vintage channels out there you can watch. As with anything that has gone on for a long while it becomes a little stale. Popular youtube channels are not much different than long running TV shows in that regard. AVGN for example has lost a lot of its charm and originality. But I'll still watch it 😀

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 6 of 87, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AVGN has a wife and kid so he’s not as angry anymore :0

Also has all the other random side ventures

Need to have the AVGN, Cinnemmassacre, redlettermedia, 8 bit guy crossover episode

drosse1meyer wrote on 2020-11-19, 20:42:

There are so many other vintage channels out there you can watch.

Sort of but not really 8 bit guy has a level of professionalism that makes his content watchable, others are very dry rambling inconsistent and off topic with less plentiful material.
Or are reaction videos,
Only one that has a quant charm besides the guy that talks old Mac games is
LGR best when I’m bored and tired

Reply 7 of 87, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many seem to agree that the AVGN's latest episode about The Legend of Kage bears a striking resemblance to some of his oldest stuff for some reason.

I adore the stuff Technology Connections posts, and there are still so many older videos that he has done that I haven't seen yet.

Reply 8 of 87, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-19, 21:01:

I adore the stuff Technology Connections posts, and there are still so many older videos that he has done that I haven't seen yet.

Did you see him in the Ageing Wheels video? Alec's like a school teacher and didn't seem right without his coat.
https://youtu.be/0wpElvW4o2A

I'm finding I'm loosing interest in a lot of my regulars. I think in part this is due to them now been full time youtubers and needing to release a video once a week.
Even LGR has mentioned he's had to do a video on the quick to keep to his deadlines.

I really like Tech Tangents but he only releases 1 a month and it feels like he's release a video because he wants to, not because of some deadline and much like Technology Connections half the time the actual topic doesn't really interest me but their enthusiasm is what makes it interesting. LGR is very good at this as well.

I've never been a overall fan of 8-bit guy, only watching the videos that interest me. This year that's only been the the dreaded IBM 7496 video and and most recent "Rare Commodore Systems Found at Electronics Recycler" and didn't mind the last one.

This year I've dropped Retro Man Cave and Nostalgia Nerd from my "have to watch every video" group and haven't regretted it, so if it is a chore just start skipping some of the videos' it is surprisingly hard to do at first but then you do end up enjoying the few that you do watch.

Reply 10 of 87, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll still watch a new 8-Bit Guy video when it pops up, but he definitely seems to be rushing videos over the last few months. I think I noticed a change with him after he put up (and then took down) that ridiculous AI video... I know he got a LOT of grief over that and I wonder if it might have soured him a bit on his fanbase or Youtube in general.

He might want to consider setting up another channel with smaller, unscripted videos like LGR does, where he just spends 10-15 minutes showing off some neat thing he found. I think it's a great way to keep creating without the pressure entailed with a more professional video on one's main channel.

Reply 11 of 87, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overall I agree that 8 bit guy's videos lost the initial freshness. Maybe this is due to the big load and also the recent fail with IBM prototype. Of course, becoming pure business has it's impact as well. But I believe he still has potential, his new game project looks very promising. I also like that he tries to do things outside the "clean and repair" topic. Like the videos about IT companies in Texas.
On a different note, I've been watching Adrian's Digital Basement videos recently and really enjoyed them. The true enthusiasm is there and narration is really pleasing. He resides in US, but his english sounds canadian, which is music to my ears.
His content is more complicated if compared with 8 bit guy, let alone LGR. But If interpreting oscilloscope readings does not scare you then it's worth checking out.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 12 of 87, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@rmay635703: Only one that has a quant charm besides the guy that talks old Mac games is
LGR best when I’m bored and tired

I like 8-Bit Guy more because how LGR narrates his videos is a little cringey (it's very casual)

Last edited by hyperrmachine on 2020-11-20, 11:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 87, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2020-11-20, 10:31:

These guys get paid if you subscribe to their channels right?

No, not directly by subscribing, but if you watch ads on their videos they do get paid (very very small amount pr adview).

Also, keep it civil and constructive here. Similar threads have in the past devolved into attacks on their character and/or accusations with no basis in facts. This will not be tolerated, keep in mind all the Youtuber's are people and part of the same community as everyone here on VOGONS.

Last edited by vetz on 2020-11-20, 11:17. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 87, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything goes stale in time, Ancient DOS and LGR are the only ones still more or less pump out new stuff to watch. I agree that AVGN and 8-bit have lost their edge. AVGN is just so PG now, and only thing watchable with 8-bit is old Commodore stuff. He should change his name The CommodoreXXX Guy. 😁

PS. LGR is good because it is so chill!

Last edited by Cyberdyne on 2020-11-20, 11:17. Edited 1 time in total.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 15 of 87, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are youtubers always asking people to subscribe to their channels?

I don't actually subscribe to any channels. I just bookmark interesting channels in the browser and check them occasionally. But I will start doing it if there's some benefit to the host.

Last edited by Errius on 2020-11-20, 11:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 16 of 87, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:17:

Why are youtubers always asking people to subscribe to their channels?

I don't actually subscribe to any channels. I just bookmark interesting channels in the browser and check them occasionally. But I will start doing it if there's some benefit to the host.

Two main reasons:
- If you subscribe the Youtube algoritms are more likely to promote the channel and/or videos as "suggested content" as amount of subscribers is one of the metrics (comments and likes are other engagement metrics).
- Subscribers get new videos in their feed and you can even receive notifications, making it more likely subscribers will notice it and watch it (increases views which again increases adviews -> they get paid).

I personally subscribe to all channels I find interesting mainly to not miss out on new videos when they are released.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 17 of 87, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Subscription=$€
To subscribe you must log on.
When you log on they know who you are
When they know who you are they can find you.
When the find you they force feed your pets high-carbohydrate food.

Reply 19 of 87, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:15:

Every time a similar thread pops up I learn about somebody's favorite youtube channel that I wasn't aware of 😁

I am reminded of ones I had forgotten about or I found irritating then upon revisiting their new content is decent

Ancient DOS games I use like an encyclopedia when I want to review a specific game

One of my favorites (from long ago)
Is classic game room, who like RVB still seems to exist despite being around decades even before youboob