Starting work this morning reminded me of another Trend I absolutley despise
Let's see....let's cut the Memory of a system in half, install an NVME SSD smaller than the hard drive in my NEC Versa laptop from 1994, and then claim that it actually makes things run like "double the RAM".
The REAL optane experience is this....
1.) Imaging these machines is slower than a regular machine with an SSD and double the RAM, at least until the Intel Rapid Storage driver is installed and works
2.) You have to be careful about BIOS Settings and imaging because you can end up installing Windows on the NVME SSD instead of the hybrid drive
3.) If a program or O/S does not take advantage of the Optane, that program runs no better than if it was running on a regular system with the same Memory
4.) You have to keep the system current or Optane can behave as a performance HIT rather than a performance boost. This is particularly terrible when you are supporting a company with remote, and technically challenged I may add, end users working over VPN during COVID!
5.) Because of #4 you have to keep replacing machines because it's faster just to image another one and hand it over than to fix the other one (ie, run the 68 or so Windows updates + all the missed OEM updates)
If only we had enough RAM for me to rip the NVMEs out of these things and set them up with SSDs and twice the RAM - I've done that with 4, they run a thousand times better.
Meanwhile, while I'm typing this - YOUTUBE ADS!
Interrupting my video 40 times - and yes, I"m talking to you Google too! - with stupid ads does not make me want to buy your product.....
- Dr Squatch can take his toxic masculinity and that Chad Kroeger looking dolt and stick em' where the sun don't shine! The last thing I want to hear is a 30 minute ad full of macho posing, groaning men, and women talking about men smelling like elderberry leaves - sorry, but not sorry, not my thing!
- "30 years ago we made this game and no..." and now I'm going to download it from an Abandonware Site and run it on my 486 because I'm not paying you
jack squat for a half-arse experience with DLC, constant updates, and no feelies
- Every time I see that ad with the padlock on a chained fence, I've skipped it so much that's all it is to me, I want to shoot that padlock off said fence for target practice!
- Ah, Microsoft......why pay $3999 for a Surface Pro when I can pay $39.99 for a used NEC Versa M/75CP and not have to deal with annoying updates, security holes, and drawing vague crappy lines in 4K when I can do pixel art in 320x200 that looks so good Steve Purcell would take me under his wing!
- Let's see, keep my old jalopy and continue to pay $500 every 10 years to keep it going? Or $500 every month for a computer on wheels that's likely spying on my driving habits with a pile of software errors to tell my insurance company to drive up my rates because the shitty braking system needs me to push the pedal down halfway to stop the darned car. Oh yeah, and $3000 repairs with firmware and crappy flimsy parts? Forget about it!
Seems since COVID Googles really ramped up the ads, and I did not mind when they were at the beginning and end.....
And again, why the heck do they need to make them 50% louder, or EQ them to seem that way!?!? Making your video as loud as a Deep Purple concert does not make me want to buy your product - it makes me want to go to your place of business with a train horn and an impromptu party with Motley Crue with all Marshalls at 11!