Common searches

Let's talk about our hated trends

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 161, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote on 2020-12-16, 18:54:

All websites are designed primarily towards mobile and not desktop.

Basically Deviantart.
A lot of the users on there left because of the redesign (its gotten a little better since the company added new colors)

Reply 102 of 161, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My pick for most annoying trend?
Searing, bright colored LEDs on everything!! HDD lights that illuminate an entire room in electric blue! And the fact that it's more difficult to find a worthwhile full-ATX computer case that doesn't have a bajillion ultra-bright lights anymore! Whatever happened to being able to focus on your work, rather than the blinky lights all vying at your attention? And it gets worse: new keyboards and mice also have blinky color-cycling bullshit lights, which cannot always be turned off in an intuitive manner. Lightdims are an absolute godsend in this day and age, though sometimes I have to layer several over the more offensive lights. 😐

I can also rant about how prices on eBay for vintage PC hardware are bordering on extortion, but that's a different rant for a different day.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 103 of 161, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eep386 wrote on 2021-01-18, 03:23:

My pick for most annoying trend?
Searing, bright colored LEDs on everything!! HDD lights that illuminate an entire room in electric blue! And the fact that it's more difficult to find a worthwhile full-ATX computer case that doesn't have a bajillion ultra-bright lights anymore! Whatever happened to being able to focus on your work, rather than the blinky lights all vying at your attention? And it gets worse: new keyboards and mice also have blinky color-cycling bullshit lights, which cannot always be turned off in an intuitive manner. Lightdims are an absolute godsend in this day and age, though sometimes I have to layer several over the more offensive lights. 😐

I absolutely agree .

Eep386 wrote on 2021-01-18, 03:23:

I can also rant about how prices on eBay for vintage PC hardware are bordering on extortion, but that's a different rant for a different day.

Some stuff is indeed surprisingly expensive considering how common it is . That said, I am actually under the impression that prices on some things sold from Japan, like Sound Canvas MIDI modules, have actually gone down a bit in the last few months . For example, an SC-88VL (better than non VL version due to external PSU), for less than 160 $US, including shipping to US or Canada (possibly elsewhere too), is not a bad deal, IMHO .

EDIT: MT-32 prices are still eye-watering, though

Reply 104 of 161, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote on 2021-01-18, 01:10:

Music and explosions in movies being 10x louder than the dialogue so that you are constantly adjusting the volume every scene and without good closed captions to boot.

I suspect this, like the visual darkness of modern movies, is an anti-piracy measure.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 105 of 161, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awww, I like the Apple G3 style translucent cases.

What I dont like is:
1) RGB
2) Computer case with glass side panel. ( The thing just SCARES ME, What if it breaks ? ).
3) Sheet Metal cases. ( Once you go Aluminum, You never go back )

Attachments

Reply 106 of 161, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This kinda reminded me of Darth Vader.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 107 of 161, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-01-18, 07:22:

Awww, I like the Apple G3 style translucent cases.

In the music video for "Dinosaur" by AKMU you can see the apple g3 computer. Its hard to spot though

imac_g3.png
Filename
imac_g3.png
File size
180.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also I've noticed one of the early macintosh computers in the kids show storybots

Reply 110 of 161, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blue LEDs were quite cool in the year 2000. That whole millennium "futuristic" black / silver / blue-LED aesthetic of the time.

Back then, we mad young modders used to actively put them into things that didn't already have them.

Then, after a short time and a slight degree of ongoing retinal blinding, the blue LEDs themselves were modded... with blue TACK. Installations of which, can still be founded dotted around my house and appliances to this day. 🤣

Reply 111 of 161, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Online and other multiplayer games. Many new interesting shooters etc. give you grand trailers and teasers and then you read that it only has online campaign or some multiplayer BS . I know it's easier to let the players create all the content, but it's just sad how far A titles have fallen in the past 10 years from what they used to be.

Reply 112 of 161, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote on 2021-01-19, 04:28:

Blue LEDs are the worst thing I've ever seen.

I donno if I lucked out, got characteristically old stock, or if it only applies to the New Model M, but I was afraid the Unicomp Classic I got for Christmas would have blue LEDs. Heard that was a thing they were doing lately.

Nope. Nice, heart warming green LEDs.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 113 of 161, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like to think that by the end of this century steampunk will have given way to 'bluepunk'. Just blue LEDs everywhere and on everything. So retro.

Hopefully we'll get a remake of The Running Man soon in which Dynamo is festooned with incredibly bright blue LEDs. How the hell else are we supposed to know we're living in the future?

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 114 of 161, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't even know steampunk and blue light punk where a big thing with PCs.

Everywhere I look it's either "RGB Unicornpuke-punk" or "White, clean, minimal, Apple-style asthetic". Mostly the former.

Reply 115 of 161, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my main PC is in a black bland big tower without a window... does have a blue power LED though (that is covered x3 because it's annoying)

I have to admit though that I did mod my old In-Win back in the day with a blue and red LED :3

Reply 116 of 161, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2021-01-19, 17:47:

I didn't even know steampunk and blue light punk where a big thing with PCs.

Everywhere I look it's either "RGB Unicornpuke-punk" or "White, clean, minimal, Apple-style asthetic". Mostly the former.

Luckily, good quality cases can last practically forever, unless something drasticly different comes about with the ATX form factor . So far, even current motherboards will fit into 20+ years old beige cases (and anything newer), AFAIK .

EDIT: Those old beige cases often have crappy airflow, though .

Reply 117 of 161, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2021-01-19, 18:43:

my main PC is in a black bland big tower without a window... does have a blue power LED though (that is covered x3 because it's annoying)

OK, I have to confess.

My main PC is a blue LED.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 118 of 161, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2021-01-19, 19:28:
imi wrote on 2021-01-19, 18:43:

OK, I have to confess.

My main PC is a blue LED.

I'm not even sure what PC of mine is my main PC anymore........I have a Dell 7010 that Runs Linux....hardly any lights at all, an iMac from 2015, no LEDs, I have a Latitude 15 from 2014 but that thing has no LEDs except the one power LED in front......honestly, the PC that could maybe count as a "main" because I use it a lot is my revolving door of NEC Versa "retro laptops" because FreeDOS with FLMail and Links is almost day-today-usable, and those don't have any LED lights - they have an LCD Status DIsplay 😁 - I could backlight it if I want....but they have auditory feedback too.

Actually, that reminds me, a trend I hate, that I always forget about, is the lack of HDD LED lights on modern computers, especially laptops. It seems they did away with them when Windows 8 became a thing. I know, I know, Task Manager - but it's so much less of a hassle, sometimes grandly, to just glance at a little light, than to have to go CTRL+ALT+DEL then go to the System Monitor Tab to watch the HDD passing 2mb/s at 100% utilization to find out something is up - and hope it comes up if things are really messed up.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 119 of 161, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well hdd access indicators are pretty useless in modern windows systems anyways, back then they used to indicate that your drives are busy loading something or still writing data... nowadays your drive is always busy because windows thinks it needs to index this and that and shuffle around it's page file a bunch or preload updates to install them in the most untimely moment...

oh yeah... that's definitely a hated trend of mine... automatic updates.

"nice system you got there, everything is running fine? ...let me change that"