VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago, when I took interest in what may be broadly termed open source game remakes, it did not become immediately apparent to me that some of the projects try to stay very close not only to the mechanics of the game that is being remade, but also build upon the original art style of the source material.

Consider two Lemmings clones, Pingus and Lix. The former takes the rather usual route in Linux gaming of reimagining the game with Tux and Co. as the main characters, while the latter tries to replicate the look of the original Lemmings, with characters and props that are distinctly different yet very similar to Lemmings.

Below is a quick (and generally unsorted) list of the projects that I know of which also follow this path of remaking a game as closely as possible. This does not include anything that uses original art from the games that are being remade.

• Advanced Strategic Command - Battle Isle series
  • Widelands - The Settlers II
  • Dave Gnukem - Duke Nukem
  • Open Surge - Sonic the Hedgehog (can't tell how close, I'm very unfamiliar with Sonic titles)
  • LordsAWar! - Warlords II Deluxe
  • OpenTTD - Transport Tycoon Deluxe (engine recreation with a libre data set)
  • Wyrmsun - Warcraft II (many gameplay changes but graphics try to mimic Blizzard style)
  • Haxima - Ultima series
  • FreeCiv - Sid Meier's Civilization (visuals resembling the first and second game were used during different stages of development)
  • C-evo - Sid Meier's Civilization II (many gameplay changes)
  • Fame - Castle of the Winds
  • Lincity - SimCity
  • BtBuilder - Bard's Tale Construction Set
  • Open General - Panzer General II
  • Panzer Marshal - Panzer General II (I think both PG2 clones use libre graphics but not sure)
  • Freedoom - Doom (libre data set for the open source engine; many textures in the WADs have this "similar but different" look when compared to Doom's counterparts)
  • LibreQuake - Quake

This is not limited to FOSS titles of course. Recently I found an old game by Johan Peitz (of the Happyland Adventures fame) called Alien Assault II which is pretty much a small Alien Breed clone for DOS (get it here). And there's Super Angelo which I guess needs no explanation (based on an earlier Mario clone by the same author).

Ultima RPGs were cloned pretty heavily, not in the least because of the rather simple visual style. Kingdom of Syree, Excelsior and the Ultizurk titles are worth mentioning among others.

A few more non-FOSS projects:

• Palm Kingdoms 2 - Heroes of Might and Magic II clone, initially for handheld devices (I think it uses some modified NWC graphics)
  • Priority: Survive is a small RTS project with very StarCraft-ish visuals and gameplay
  • a commercial game onEscapee imitated the style of Flashback and Another World
  • a very neat Civilization clone was developed for Amiga and Windows called Great Nations but sadly never completed.
  • Planet Cloudius IX is based on an engine recreation of Commander Keen IV-VI and is essentially a Keen fangame, but with custom art and unrelated characters/storyline

If you know more games of the kind described above, please let me know! The main idea is that the art style/visual presentation is very similar to source material, not only gameplay.

Last edited by MrFlibble on 2021-08-06, 21:12. Edited 4 times in total.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 3 of 13, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr.cat wrote on 2020-12-22, 17:42:

This is a good one:
https://kollektivet.nu/brucelee2/

This one looks like a fan sequel. I'd categorise it along with Giana's Return.

akula65 wrote on 2020-12-22, 19:42:

What about FreeCol: http://www.freecol.org/

FreeCol, while being a remake of Sid Meier's Colonization, uses a completely different art style with pre-rendered sprites and isometric tiles. This is quite far from what Colonization looks. With FreeCiv, at least the early versions use square tiles similar to the original Civilization.

I will agree that sometimes there seems to be no objective criteria to differentiate between "similar" and "dissimilar" art styles. But for example if you look at Super Angelo and Secret Maryo Chronicles, there is little doubt which game is closer in the art style to Super Mario Bros. Even though many characters and background elements in SMC are drawn very closely to what you see in SMB. But the art style is different.

As I stated above, the comparison between Lix and Pingus made me think about this.

UPD: Added the words "art style" to the title to help clarify this a bit.

Reply 4 of 13, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrFlibble wrote on 2020-12-23, 21:04:
mr.cat wrote on 2020-12-22, 17:42:

This is a good one:
https://kollektivet.nu/brucelee2/

This one looks like a fan sequel. I'd categorise it along with Giana's Return.

Here's another with a similar approach. Written from scratch to a different platform, while replicating gameplay and style. But comes with brand new levels, which makes it a sequel I guess.
https://impossiblemission3.blogspot.com/

Reply 5 of 13, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That one's cool, thanks for sharing!

From older projects, Boulderoid was essentially a PC conversion of the original Boulder Dash, but updated with 256 colour graphics. Some elements were reimagined, like the main character is now a naked bearded guy for some reason. Since the game included all converted levels from Commodore 64 versions of Boulder Dash and Rockford's Revenge, plus a tool to convert user levels made with Boulder Dash Construction Kit, the devs received a C&D from the original copyright holders.

Reply 6 of 13, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of all Korean StarCraft clones that I know of, Atrox seems to follow the source material most closely, p to and including menu and interface design.

Reply 8 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the hot topic of avoiding Actiblizz....

Loria - Warcraft 2
Final Odyssey - Starcraft
Outlive - Starcraft 😀 (Take2 though...)

listing Warcraft3-artlikes would just be a thousand MOBAs long post.

It's inevitable that "boomer shooters" will come into this thread, and frankly, despite the hyper-reference homage marketing driving them, there really isn't a lot of artistic mimicry. I will mention Hrot for wanting to be Chasm: The Rift artistically, though the design isn't quite as clean and compact and plays closer to Mortyr...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can't play Mario Cart there's Whacky Wheels, and Paku-Paku is a good pacman clone.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 13, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2021-08-04, 21:39:
On the hot topic of avoiding Actiblizz.... […]
Show full quote

On the hot topic of avoiding Actiblizz....

Loria - Warcraft 2
Final Odyssey - Starcraft
Outlive - Starcraft 😀 (Take2 though...)

Loria is a strange beast, it tries to combine generally Warcraft II-ish visual aesthetic with Warcraft III-like gameplay. To me it felt like neither honestly, but I'd still say it's closer to III because of the heroes and the upkeep. (I still believe that upkeep was invented to limit the number of polygons on-screen in Warcraft III). IIRC the pre-release demo of Loria has a more straightforward Warcraft II feel, but it's rather short. And the art is made of huge, gargantuan, bloated pixels.

I played a demo of Outlive some time agoo, very odd game. It looks StarCraft-ish for sure but gameplay-wise it's like its own thing I guess.

I believe Dark Oberon can be also counted as a Warcraft II "looker & feeler", even though it has its own claymation art. But the designs and gameplay are just copied off Warcraft II pretty much unaltered.

Chris Jones' Future Conflict is an obvious Command & Conquer clone. It has a severe case of programmer art, but the look & feel part is still there all right.

Did I mention Hamsters? The shareware-turned-freeware Lemmings clone which is pretty much spot on. Sadly, no mouse control IIRC.

I gather Football Glory even got pressure from Sensible Software for being a little too much like Sensible Soccer.

Oh, and a while ago I found a very cute 4X game inspired by the first Civilisation (I think the ruleset is identical) called Great Nations. Sadly, the development was halted before they implemented the AI so it's multiplayer-only. I think I like the tile art more than that of Freeciv.

Reply 11 of 13, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I watched some videos of FLARE and apparently it plays a lot like Diablo, up to the popping up gold piles from chests, barrels and enemies.

Reply 12 of 13, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a Terminal Velocity clone/homage written in QuickBasic: TerraScape: Breakdown Velocity.

Gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Uir4uRFI4

Reply 13 of 13, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure if this fits your bill because it's a modern game with modern graphics, but having recently played through Alien: Isolation, the game really does an amazing job of recreating the feel and style of the original movie, you really feel like you're back in 80s sci-fi... also CRTs, CRTs everywhere.