VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry this might be a really daft request but I've tried to track this down on the web and can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'm willing to risk public ridicule to find out the answer to this.

So If I have a Folder named 'GAME' and it contains an '.ico' file, how do I set the folder itself to use the icon contained within itself and always have that icon show regardless of the location of the folder.

So far I've only been able to do an absolute location. So if I move the folder to a different drive the icon disappears. I hope this is a really dumb easy question to answer, let me know if you know!

Reply 1 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-12-25, 06:41:

Sorry this might be a really daft request but I've tried to track this down on the web and can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'm willing to risk public ridicule to find out the answer to this.

So If I have a Folder named 'GAME' and it contains an '.ico' file, how do I set the folder itself to use the icon contained within itself and always have that icon show regardless of the location of the folder.

So far I've only been able to do an absolute location. So if I move the folder to a different drive the icon disappears. I hope this is a really dumb easy question to answer, let me know if you know!

What operating system?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-25, 09:25:
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-12-25, 06:41:

What operating system?

Windows, Windows 10 in particular.

Reply 4 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't enable drive indexing, at any rate there is no Desktop.ini in any of the folders. I really need this to be a portable solution as well, not just moving to a different drive still showing the icon but even moving it to a different machine all together would ideally show the icon.

Are you saying to create a desktop.ini in all the folders manually?

Reply 6 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You rule ZellSF, thanks for the help, that will work just fine.

Windows apparently has some internal rules of its own I guess, when copying from my NAS to my computer the icons dont work, when copying them around any local drive the icons work...