VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 52, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In reality Volkov Commander is better, totally assembler programmed and smaller, faster, and have all the needed functions.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 22 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

modplug among others, generally windows circa 2000 software often does what I want and is stable when used as standalone applications. Anything that might need to create data compatible with newer software or go online will be forced to 'upgrade' continuously

using old software isn't just something quirky or 'hipster', sometimes there is a piece of software that one learns very well, masters even, and can actually be more productive on it than on more modern software equivalents, even when objectively the modern one has potentially more productivity benefits

its a bit like learning to race one model of car - sure the new cars are better but you are actually slower in them because you're not used to it

that's one of the reasons, if you've ever worked in offices or trained office workers, there was always a moan with a new release of their most used applications - they all new that for a few weeks the new version would slow them down while they got used to it

Reply 24 of 52, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Macromedia's Fireworks MX. It works on all my machines, 98se through to win 7 64 bit.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 25 of 52, by fyw321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

does emule count? it's pretty much old and not much changed through every update releases.
my favorite site stoped releasing anything with ed2k link anymore. but I just autostart it everyday with empty task list, and hope i can still share something to help some cyber stranger by doing this.

Reply 26 of 52, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ZDir for all your DOS directory needs. I always rename it Z. Im so use to it I try to use that command on others machines.

Attachments

• Filename
    zdir21.zip
    File size
    51.93 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 28 of 52, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. Borland C++ 5.02, Paint Shop Pro 6 and the others 😁 Actually I like that software.

Attachments

• PSP6.jpg
    Filename
    PSP6.jpg
    File size
    120.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • MSVC2005.jpg
    Filename
    MSVC2005.jpg
    File size
    145.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • BCPP.jpg
    Filename
    BCPP.jpg
    File size
    86.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 29 of 52, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
winuser_pl wrote on 2021-01-19, 08:55:

I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. Borland C++ 5.02, Paint Shop Pro 6 and the others 😁 Actually I like that software.

I was also always a big fan of PSP 6 and hated later versions. Now I use Paint.net.

Reply 30 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-01-11, 14:24:

In reality Volkov Commander is better, totally assembler programmed and smaller, faster, and have all the needed functions.

Hi there! Just remembered this old thread and would like to add something..
There was also Star Commander, which was a file manager designed with built-in support for the Commodore 1541 drives and d64 images.

5132829_1.jpg
Filename
5132829_1.jpg
File size
52.59 KiB
Views
File license

https://sta.c64.org/sc.html

It could be used as a plain Norton Commander alternative, though.
I think it was quite popular back in the day, too.

Does anybody here still use Star Commander? On a daily basis? Any C64 users, maybe?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 31 of 52, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still use it even on my main computer. Older computers get version 2.95 and newer computers get 5.666. Never gave me trouble.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-01-16, 14:34:
This. […]
Show full quote

This.

the-oldest-software.jpg

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 32 of 52, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MS-Word and Excel 2000 (more than enough for my basic needs)
ACDSee 5.0 (love that one. Tried different freeware viewers but I still like ACDSee 5.0 best)
Lotus Organizer 6.0 (love that one, too. Been using it since 1996 when my first PC came with Lotus SmartSuite preinstalled. I bought version 6 in 2001 or so, I think).

Reply 33 of 52, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have old stuff installed but it's not used daily except when there's some particular thing I'm doing. The oldest stuff I have called up recently (last week) would be:

AnyDVD - but I couldn't work out how to do what I wanted... (mount an ISO...)
CloneCD (or one of the related tools)- to simulate CD/DVD drives and mount ISOs... have a feeling I couldn't get an extra drive to register in Windows but gave up anyway after I found I must have deleted the ISOs I was going to mount to play a couple of games... I actually thought the games had had an update so didn't need the CD any more anyway, but whatever... just such a hassle getting them out of the boxes and then you have to swap them...omg...
Ability FTP - the two older versions still appear to work, the latest one I have crashed and I cba to work out how to fix as I was only running it out of curiosity

Also still have an old version of Thunderbird for my old email archive.

And I have that Creative X-Fi MB running on Windows 10 by default. Hasn't crashed lately but there was a time it would periodically stop working. I assume it's fairly old.

Otherwise - Office 2010...

Reply 34 of 52, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can someone recommend a replacement for QuickSFV?

I used to use hkSFV many years ago, until it became unusable with newer operating systems, so I switched to QSFV.

However this now has the same problem in Windows 10. It constantly crashes and is no longer usable.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 35 of 52, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even after all these years, VRML is still my prefered choice when outputting 3D (and 2D) geometry during debugs. And my goto viewer, which is by far best (And I have tried a lot of VRML viewers, if not all of them) ... is this one.

Screenshot 2023-05-23 230727.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-05-23 230727.png
File size
8.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Every development environment I have set up in the past 18 or so years, this is always the second or third program I install. It follows me everywhere 😀

Reply 37 of 52, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excluding OS (+bundled apps), games, and modern software designed for or compatible with vintage machines (CPU-Z Vintage Edition, TOPBENCH, etc.).

For DOS/Win31 rig:
PC Tools 4.30 (file manager and HEX editor)
CompuShow 9.04a (picture viewer)
Internet Explorer 5.01 (browser; yes I know many people hated it but I liked its "simplicity" over Netscape's forced "user profiles," a nice concept poorly executed)
WS_FTP LE and SimpTerm (FTP and telnet; back then the mainstream were CuteFTP and NetTerm, respectively, but those two were too "complex" and were shareware instead of freeware)
Microsoft Works for Windows 2.0 Multimedia Edition (office suite)

For Win9x rig:
7-Zip 9.20 (comperssion)
Audacity 2.0 (audio editing)
Everest Ultimate 5.50 (system specs)
FileZilla 2.2.22 (FTP)
IrfanView 4.44 (picture viewing)
Opera 10.63 (browser)
Acrobat Reader 5.01 (PDF reader)
Microsoft Office 2000 (office suite)

For WinXP rig:
Adobe Reader XI (PDF reader)
Audacity 2.0.6 (audio editing)
FileZilla 3.8.0 (FTP)
Firefox 52.9.0ESR (browser)
Foobar2000 1.5.11 (music player)
GIMP 2.8.22 (photo editor)
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2 (office suite)

Reply 38 of 52, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-01-16, 14:34:

This.
<winamp image>

Second that. Never found another player that matches this for me personally.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 39 of 52, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

winamp, office 2000, paint shop pro 7, virtualdub,emule, utorrent, hex workshop, visual studio 6, reshacker, goldwave, nero, media player classic, ffmpeg, acdsee32, art icons, mingw, cygwin, basiegaxorz, ken rename, winimage..

Some of them are new version, like mingw, ffmpeg,

all this are basic for me, and for sure i forget one or two

Modern software.... well, im forced to use chrome 86 for browsing.. too sad