VOGONS

Common searches

Intel smashes Ryzen

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 106, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-12, 22:59:
I feel I should qualify what I said with something substantive in terms of explaining my dissatisfaction with AMD on the whole. […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-01-12, 22:04:

I've had many and varied awesome systems for decades, based upon processors from both manufacturers. The merit of a given PC comes back to the skill and choices of the system builder. Not some silly "brand loyalty" thing.

I feel I should qualify what I said with something substantive in terms of explaining my dissatisfaction with AMD on the whole.

One example that comes up off the top of my head is back in 2018 when I ventured to reap the 'reward' of AMD's better performance. These were two simple desk/word processing machines I was selling. My main consideration for going with the Ryzen 2200G at the time was the incredible advantage it had at its price point to anything Intel had to offer.

But then after setting up the systems and going through the installation, I ended up again losing respect for AMD because of this:

"No AHCI driver exists for VEN_1022 DEV_43B7"

The most amazing part was the denial and apathy of the AMD team.

In retrospect, someone claimed you can force install their old AHCI driver on to it, but if that is indeed the case, all AMD had to do to save face was add 1 line to the AHCI .inf and get it WHQL'ed in the next release. I am 99% certain this problem still exists.

It's the little things, you see. Very nice silicon, but what is the value of good silicon if it's amateur hour in other departments.

Then there's Wendell who seems to release a new video about how "impressed" he is with the new generation of AMD hardware with regard to virtualization performance... Then you continue to watch the video and see that he's complaining at the end of lack of support for X on AMD's part, where he's forced to concede that it works 'perfect' with Intel. This is an ongoing saga now for several years on his channel. You mean to tell me that after all these years, AMD still doesn't have virtualization down pat to a fine art?

Next, try getting AMD part numbers which are OEM only... If I want a 35W TDP Intel part, I go to the large distributors and place a backorder for one piece. I might have to waith a month or two until it arrives, but I can get it.

Try obtaining a "GE" part from AMD. Nope, sorry, they only sell them to the privileged few OEMs.

I'll use AMD in the future, I have to. They have better products at better prices. But AMD isn't real competition to Intel. Intel allows AMD to survive but not thrive. One day Intel will open up it's enormous maw and swallow them up, and they'll disappear without a trace, and we'll be better off for it.

Do you understand the nature of "anecdotal evidence", and how it is not a universal decree of anything whatsoever?

If I applied your reasoning to everything I've seen major technical issues with over the decades, I would now Forever Hate Intel, Microsoft, Linux, Sun, IBM, AMD, Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, and basically every single brand and company that exists.

I just would have thought that most veterans would be experienced enough by now to be over simple brand loyalty.

Google "Intel Controversies" or similar, and settle down for hours and hours of reading about the endless swathes of mistakes and poor decisions made by Intel since forever. Likewise with AMD.

They're not so different.

Let us also keep in mind that most of the world's anecdotal problems contain a fair slice of PEBKAC.

Reply 21 of 106, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-01-13, 01:55:

If I applied your reasoning to everything I've seen major technical issues with over the decades, I would now Forever Hate Intel, Microsoft, Linux, Sun, IBM, AMD, Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, and basically every single brand and company that exists.

Please explain how this is acceptable:

Intel
iaAHCIC.inf
DriverVer=12/08/2020,18.31.2.1034

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_34D3&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_02D3&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06D2&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06D3&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A382&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43D2&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 500 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

AMD
amd_sata.inf
DriverVer=03/19/2015,1.3.001.0276

%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4394&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7801&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7901&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7904&CC_0106

AMDSATA.DeviceDesc = "AMD SATA Controller"

Either AMD's SATA AHCI was so flawless that it never needed any new driver revisions after 2015, or AMD is a dysfunctional company that chooses to only prioritize projects that yield immediate profits.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 22 of 106, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-13, 03:12:
Please explain how this is acceptable: […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-01-13, 01:55:

Please explain how this is acceptable:

Intel
iaAHCIC.inf
DriverVer=12/08/2020,18.31.2.1034

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_34D3&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_02D3&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06D2&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06D3&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A382&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43D2&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 500 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

AMD
amd_sata.inf
DriverVer=03/19/2015,1.3.001.0276

%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4394&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7801&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7901&CC_0106
%AMDSATA.DeviceDesc% = amd_sata_inst, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7904&CC_0106

AMDSATA.DeviceDesc = "AMD SATA Controller"

Either AMD's SATA AHCI was so flawless that it never needed any new driver revisions after 2015, or AMD is a dysfunctional company that chooses to only prioritize projects that yield immediate profits.

Your petty little issue regarding a redundant two-generations-old processor is meaningless to me, and to everyone on the planet outside your little sphere of targeted irritation.

Every large tech company has it's own little cadre of disgruntled haters on the internet who have run into "stupid idiotic why-the-fuck-don't-they-fix-it, niche problems" across the decades.

Your example is not special, and AMD is not special because of it.

Reply 23 of 106, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-01-13, 03:34:

Your petty little issue regarding a redundant two-generations-old processor is meaningless to me, and to everyone on the planet outside your little sphere of targeted irritation.

Every large tech company has it's own little cadre of disgruntled haters on the internet who have run into "stupid idiotic why-the-fuck-don't-they-fix-it, niche problems" across the decades.

An absent SATA controller driver is 'niche'?

You are aware that every new AMD motherboard ships with SATA ports, correct? You're also aware that even the newest AMD processors have built in SATA controllers, yes?

This is not petty, this is blatant incompetence, and this is why people pay more for less product with Intel.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 24 of 106, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-13, 04:06:
An absent SATA controller driver is 'niche'? […]
Show full quote

You are aware that every new AMD motherboard ships with SATA ports, correct? You're also aware that even the newest AMD processors have built in SATA controllers, yes?

This is not petty, this is blatant incompetence, and this is why people pay more for less product with Intel.

I mean, big whoop, AMD stubbornly and pointlessly omits some things from an INF file, resulting in Ryzen 2200G processors using certain generic drivers in certain operating systems, in certain contexts, which some Random Whoever online decides to extrapolate out as a blanket judgement of AMD's entire design and engineering capability full-stop.

How do you feel the importance of the above niche issue compares, in a global context, to the Spectre/Meltdown crisis and Intel's subsequent responses, for example? A process producing headlines such as:

[Jan. 2018] Intel: Don't install our Spectre fix, risk of unwanted reboots is too great
[Nov. 2019] Intel Fixes a Security Flaw It Said Was Repaired 6 Months Ago
[Dec. 2019] Intel's CPU Flaws Continue to Create Problems for the Tech Community

"The researchers said Intel had chosen an ineffective way to address its chip vulnerabilities. Rather than fix the core issue, which would possibly require redesigning the processor, it has patched each variant as it is discovered"

And meanwhile, "a tiny quantity of disgruntled enthusiasts haven't been given the luxury of having their home Microsoft Windows automatically install a perfect-throughput AHCI driver for their two-generation-old, low-end all-in-one Ryzen 2200G!" - call the Ethics Police Now, 'cos this one's a Felony! - 🤣.

How is it that you believe that petty little niche issue is the Key Definer of engineering prowess and best-practice for giant decades-old corporations which were likely engineering things you'll never understand in your lifetime, before you were even born???

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2021-01-13, 04:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 106, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Ryzen 3600 processor. I have had no issues with the SATA controller. I couldn't figure out how to get the built in RAID controller to work but otherwise I have had no issues.

I have definitely read about unsupported or poorly implemented features with AMD platforms. Mostly niche stuff, but if you are in that niche then yeah that is definitely a problem and you shouldn't buy those products.

Reply 27 of 106, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2021-01-13, 04:14:
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-12, 22:59:

One day Intel will open up it's enormous maw and swallow them up, and they'll disappear without a trace, and we'll be better off for it.

I don't think that an x86 CPU monopoly will be better for any of us...

Nup, it's just a pissed-off guy extrapolating his one little issue out to encompass an entire industry.

I get the anger, but anger is a poor judge of truth and context.

And I won't allow it that masquerade.

AMD has done we enthusiasts huge service over the years, and brought massive benefits to the industry from which we have all won.

Reply 28 of 106, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-01-13, 04:17:
Nup, it's just a pissed-off guy extrapolating his one little issue out to encompass an entire industry. […]
Show full quote

Nup, it's just a pissed-off guy extrapolating his one little issue out to encompass an entire industry.

AMD has done we enthusiasts huge service over the years, and brought massive benefits to the industry from which we have all won.

Again, most people are fine with generic SATA drivers, but there are some people who are not.

And if you want to force the 2015 drivers to install, you will get good performance, let's be clear about that.

But for me, the value with Intel is the late 2020 SATA AHCI drivers. In other words: I will pay more for an Intel system because of that.

As long as I am in the minority, and the rest of the consumers are in the majority, perhaps you're right. Perhaps I am just being petty.

But one day someone is going to come around and give a good kick to the empty shell that is the AMD software development department and the whole structure will come crumbling down. When that day comes, you will be wrong and I will be right.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 29 of 106, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-13, 04:38:
Again, most people are fine with generic SATA drivers, but there are some people who are not. […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-01-13, 04:17:
Nup, it's just a pissed-off guy extrapolating his one little issue out to encompass an entire industry. […]
Show full quote

Again, most people are fine with generic SATA drivers, but there are some people who are not.

And if you want to force the 2015 drivers to install, you will get good performance, let's be clear about that.

But for me, the value with Intel is the late 2020 SATA AHCI drivers. In other words: I will pay more for an Intel system because of that.

As long as I am in the minority, and the rest of the consumers are in the majority, perhaps you're right. Perhaps I am just being petty.

But one day someone is going to come around and give a good kick to the empty shell that is the AMD software development department and the whole structure will come crumbling down. When that day comes, you will be wrong and I will be right.

I'll put aside $5 for that day, to get you a bunch of apology flowers. Until then, I acknowledge that they (like basically everyone else) are far from perfect. But I'm sure glad they've been around, and hope they long continue.

Reply 30 of 106, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have to wait for proper tests and independent reviews.

Intel is known to manipulate things in their favour like boxed cooler vs high-end cooler or a hidden chiller backstage, bad configurations (like slow RAM/unrealistc amount of RAM with bad timings...), etc.
They lost all credibility when it comes to information they put out themselves.

Not to mention these selected game benchmarks in marketing slides (for both AMD and Intel) always are specifically chosen to show only the ones where they are good at.

Along with "relative performance", where it's just "% much faster" but the actual numbers are hidden. Those are numbers that mean literally nothing, pure marketing.

Unless you get 3rd party tests that confirm or dispute those claimed marketing slides you shouldn't believe anything of it, as it is always manipulated in one way or another to make themselves look good, especially with Intel.

Also, at least as of now, they still have no answer to the 16 core Ryzen, not to mention the conveniently left out multicore performance.
Imagine whenever the actual tests/reviews come out and confirm "Intel is slightly better in Single Core performance but for some reason crippled in Multi Core".

Really just have to wait for honest, proper reviews before any judgement can be made.

Reply 31 of 106, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-13, 04:06:
An absent SATA controller driver is 'niche'? […]
Show full quote

doHGd6pTEeZqGjv7umlQRwa2NrKWlawme7_S3cLtbhkqANPdSezAOcSw563-sZygxtlm3MAPpXWVcgLX1UsBCw9r7GLNTbpqSxXSeDsBpfwvM5PSukUxnC-FvfVlngNp-l5PBRwppTZXk61j3ObwG52S4pzK43qkhZc

also, do i have to tell you what are the disadvantages of a monopoly? 4cores/8threads for 10 years does tell you something?

Reply 32 of 106, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Core i7 980X - 6 cores 12 threads (first quarter of 2010)
Xeon X7560 - 8 cores 16 threads (first quarter of 2010)

Core i7 5960X - 8 cores 16 threads
Xeon E5 2699 v3 - 18 cores 36 threads (third quarter of 2014)

Core i7 6950X - 10 cores 20 threads

Core i9 7920X - 12 cores 24 threads
Core i9 7940X - 14 cores 28 threads
Core i9 7960X - 16 cores 32 threads
Core i9 7980X - 18 cores 36 threads
Xeon Platinum 8180 - 28 cores 56 threads

Last edited by robertmo on 2021-01-13, 15:06. Edited 16 times in total.

Reply 33 of 106, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who in the REAL world actually cares as long as the system does what a person requires?

Isn't Apple Inc. going ARM?

What is the point of this thread anyway?

It's just another bitch fest....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 34 of 106, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I am glad that Intel is trying to compete at every given price point.

Competition is good for all of us, a monopoly is not.

I for one couldn't care less about SATA AHCI drivers. My OS is on a nVME drive, my data drives are SATA, and they all work just fine.

I had a R7 1700, and now have a R7 3700x, a Asus b350 board. i've had no issues with storage controllers on this board and I was a early adopter.

I also have a Intel gaming rig that gets very little use in the living room. A older i7 4770.

I do of course prefer the AMD machine, it's faster why shouldn't I? But that doesn't mean the Intel one is worthless.

Competition is good for all of us, but Intel really does need to step up their game, they are falling behind.

AMD monopoly is no better than a Intel monopoly.

Reply 36 of 106, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2021-01-13, 14:22:
Core i7 980X - 6 cores 12 threads (first quarter of 2010) Xeon X7560 - 8 cores 16 threads (first quarter of 2010) […]
Show full quote

Core i7 980X - 6 cores 12 threads (first quarter of 2010)
Xeon X7560 - 8 cores 16 threads (first quarter of 2010)

Core i7 5960X - 8 cores 16 threads
Xeon E5 2699 v3 - 18 cores 36 threads (third quarter of 2014)

Core i7 6950X - 10 cores 20 threads

none of them fit in an average consumer motherboard and they were wayyyy expensive, outside of the posibilities of 99.99% of the people.

the others you mention dont count because they were introduced after zen when that monopoly for the multicore performance crown ended.

man...2012 to 2016 was super boring...

Last edited by Living on 2021-01-13, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 106, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Living wrote on 2021-01-13, 10:56:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/doHGd6pTEeZqGjv7umlQRwa2NrKWlawme7_S3cLtbhkqANPdSezAOcSw563-sZygxtlm3MAPpXWVcgLX1UsBCw9r […]
Show full quote

doHGd6pTEeZqGjv7umlQRwa2NrKWlawme7_S3cLtbhkqANPdSezAOcSw563-sZygxtlm3MAPpXWVcgLX1UsBCw9r7GLNTbpqSxXSeDsBpfwvM5PSukUxnC-FvfVlngNp-l5PBRwppTZXk61j3ObwG52S4pzK43qkhZc

Your image embed is broken. Please either attach it to your post on VOGONS or find a different image hosting service.

If you really must use Google Photos, try this:
Re: Televideo Telewave Audio 32 sound card, questions about its onboard wavetable ROM

Embedding from Google Drive is similar.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto