VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Short version
-----------------

I've been gone for over a month and now I'm back!

Long version
----------------

October 24'th: Massive powercut where I live. It lasted for roughly 4 hours, and when it was over, my hard drives where nicely corrupted.

October 27'th: Managed to locate a working Windows 2000 cd, after scouring the entire house, and phoning 3 friends.

October 28'th: After staying awake all night reconfiguring windows, I get a sudden blue screen. I proceed to stay up another 5hrs re-re-installing windows.

November 1'st: 12 blue screen's later, I decide something is wrong. I change tactics, reinstalling windows, hooking the comp up to an older comp, and backing up ~50gig of stuff.

November 8'th: The copying is finally finished (slow hard drives in the old comp, slow NIC in the old comp, frequent random bouts of blue screening + reinstalling on the old comp != good times). I decide that seeing as windows has been stable for ~7 hours now, I'll format D: in windows.

November 10'th: Nursing my sprained right wrist (giving a foot-thick concrete wall the beating of its life != good times), I proceed to format both hard drives through the BIOS. Halfway through...

November 15'th: Finally finished cursing the power company and showing them how I feel by doing nothing but sleeping for 5 day's, I restart the BIOS format.

November 17'th: My D: drive is totally trashed. Change name by deed-poll to Mr. Fucking Angry. Go to pub, get trashed, beat up an aquaintance because he laughed and said "I thought you where a computer wizard!" when I was detailing my current problems.

November 18'th: Still in the pub.

November 19'th: "Aquaintance" (never did learn his name) comes back. I overhear him saying I have no sense of humour. I hurt him some more.

November 20'th: Now barred from the pub, and out of money due to 3-day-drink-a-thon, I proceed to reinstall windows.

November 21'st: Now I begin copying over the files from the old comp.

November 23'rd: Copying finished. It's amazing how much faster things go when you aren't constantly blue-screening.

November 25'th: Powercut. Despairing, I refuse to turn on the comp to see if it works for 3 day's. Instead I play guitar. I can now play the swept arpeggio's from "Serrena" by Jason Becker note-perfect at full-speed.

November 28'th: Suppressing the last of my cowardice, and nursing a hilariously cramped-to-shit left hand thanks to my nonstop sweeping, I boot the computer.... It works. I swear to god I nearly cried.

November 29'th: All my apps + games are reinstalled, I hit the internet to find, bookmark (and backup the bookmark's of) the various site's I used to frequent, all those weeks ago.

And now I'm back. I warned you it was the long version:)

"How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

Reply 1 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry to hear all that. Maybe you should change your name to "Ford Prefect"?

No, actually, that would be bad. Then the bulldozers would show up, then the Vogon ships after that...etc. Never mind.

Reply 2 of 2, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome back. As you can see, a lot has happened since you left. Go and read, and don't worry about resurrecting old threads - we do that all the time. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto