VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just had to issue net stop then delete the files and start spooler just to print in windows 10. It had been like this way since XP. This method only works very well.
This happens on any printers we had over the years.

When will that get fixed YET? Frustrated.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually this is because
1. Corrupt print job
2. Buggy printer drivers
3. Printer with not enough RAM to handle the print job.
4. Trying to print a web page... See number 2.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What one is most reliable driver with certain printers if we buy another printer? Currently on the 10 years old 90 dollars HP all in one (Scanner needed for the copying stuff) and driver up to date.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HP is notoriously bad for not updating drivers.

So is Konica.

That being said, I've only used laser printers for the past 15+ years since inkjet ink is so expensive and the ink dries up.

Right now I am using an HP I bought for work probably 8 years ago ( M475dn ) but I have a Brother that I will be using in the not too distant future.

I've never had to mess with the print spooler with the HP I have right now... And we have printed documents in the hundreds of pages.

Toner for both HP and Brother are pretty cheap on eBay and they work fine with the 3rd party toner.

XEROX printers hate anything but genuine XEROX toner and I've never tried aftermarket toner with Konica printers but they are way more high maintenance since the imaging units are not built into the toner.

The laser printers also generally have way more RAM and usually have an option to upgrade the RAM.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 11, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-02, 17:47:

Toner for both HP and Brother are pretty cheap on eBay and they work fine with the 3rd party toner.

XEROX printers hate anything but genuine XEROX toner

Funny thing about that is my Xerox printer is actually a rebadged Brother. Or maybe the identical Brother model is a rebadged Xerox. Either way it's the same machine sold under both brands (with the same third party toner supplied for both).

Reply 6 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the model number?

I had a Dell laser printer that was a rebadged
Lexmark for about 5 years that I had picked up
at a thrift store for $7. Used it until it started
having problems.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 11, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brother HL1110 vs. Fuji Xerox P115b
They used to be really cheap about 5 years ago (sub $30) but were made obsolete by wifi models and now if there's ever any stock to be found they're priced at around $100.

Reply 8 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never had any issues with a Laserjet 3050 connected to a J7942A Ethernet print server . I have been able to print from Windows 98 to Windows 10 and everything in between . No issues printing from Linux either or even Android . I guess I am lucky .

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The more basic the print driver the less to go wrong in my experience. The Big brands like to try and sell you on "look it does 1000 things" catch is it doesn't do any of them well.

I really don't like HP these days but they are still the default so if you do go with HP the Universal Driver is pretty reliable if you can go without some of the fancy features of the printer. Catch is they don't provide basic separate drivers for the scanner anymore (one of the reasons I've gone off HP)

I haven't used an Epson in years, I'd be interested in what they are like.

I've also supported Samsung and 1 Xerox all in 1 which I'd rate more reliable then HP. Not sure about print quality though as its just spitting out boring office work.

Reply 10 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2021-03-03, 10:37:

The more basic the print driver the less to go wrong in my experience. The Big brands like to try and sell you on "look it does 1000 things" catch is it doesn't do any of them well.

True for most software, not only drivers.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah... Another thing I hate about the HP scanner drivers.

Up until this last update on Windows 10, HP scanners would always cut off about 1/4" on two sides of the page when scanning a full page. Even when scanning a smaller paper and telling it to crop it, I would have to leave an extra wide margin so that it wouldn't cut off part of the scanned image.

It has been like this for years and years. At least back to Windows 7. ALL HP scanners had this issue.

Canon, Xerox, Microtek, etc. never had this issue.

Not sure exactly if it was a Windows issue or an HP issue that Microsoft has finally patched around.

I haven't actually tested a full page on the platen yet, but scanning smaller things and telling it to crop them, it has an even border around the whole image instead of a small border around part of it and a large border around part of it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK